Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 The Hike-NH views list..... 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Re: The Hike-NH views list.....
Pirr wrote:

And to keep info flowing, since this is already at 3 pages, maybe Brian edit his top post with the primary ideas that have floated to the top, so that new people to this discussion can get a quick overview before going through all the pages.

Can do. I'll get it set up tomorrow as I will be sans internet starting in a little bit. 8)

Some quickies off the top of my head too:

As mentioned, Pleasant Mountain in Maine

Also as mentioned Oscar.

Equinox in Vermont.

North Moat via Red Ridge, (have not done this route personally, but every report I have ever seen on it has made me place it high on my to-do list) again to use the trail route stipulation.

And for an interesting twist, for Mass, using the "trail to get to" stipulation, Goat Pasture Mountain to Mt. Tom traverse.

A friend also reminded me of Eric Savages T3000 list which could offer some interesting ideas.

Tue May 10, 2016 1:47 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Four pages already! I like the activity this has generated already, which was one of the reasons Brian mentioned to begin with I believe.

Success is on the 52. The Belknaps are on the Belknap list obviously. Even though Mount major is often a zoo if we are doing the best of the best views and hikes I don't know how it could be passed over for anything else in the range. But we can save that for the debate sessions. :D

I like Balck Cap for the list. I'd add in Percival/Morgan in some form. Table Rock. Bald/Artists Bluff. Great hill from the Big Pine natural area, since the fire tower is on the National Register of Historic Places than likely to be preserved for years to come. Oscar is great with me. The Stone House? I think both trailed and herd path/obvious routes would be fine on my list. But it's going to take a lot more than a handful of great "new" hikes in New Hampshire to change my mind. May be the best way to do it is to not make a decision yet on New Hampshire vs New England and just start throwing hikes out there now?? If people do want to limit it and we can get enough stuff for New Hampshire to make this fresh and exciting maybe the New England constituency can give in to the second patch. But so far it's not just me who wants some New England representation in one form or another so I won't speak for them. I do kind of think it would be neat if the list whittles itself down to another 48 in NH and 14 in Maine and 5 in Vermont (for another 67. Working title The NEXXXT 67) but that's also way down the road. It would seem Vermont would have more than 5 anyhow, maybe adding in Mass gets us to A Hundred Finest or whatever. But why limit it in too many ways right out of the gate?

Tue May 10, 2016 4:13 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Hmmm, just a thought Brian, but if you're editing the op, maybe it could no longer encourage us to "nad together"? I mean, unless you're into that type of thing, of course!

Tue May 10, 2016 6:21 pm

I think places like Clay and Boott Spur should be on it as well. I know they're on TW72
but how many are doing that list. Boott Spur via Glen Boulder Tr. is one of my favorite
hikes. And I think Boott Spur has hands down the best high elev. view of George.
Can't see the auto-road or Cog. 8)

Wed May 11, 2016 5:23 am

Grindboy wrote:
Hmmm, just a thought Brian, but if you're editing the op, maybe it could no longer encourage us to "nad together"? I mean, unless you're into that type of thing, of course!

What can I say, I watched a lot of Beavis and Butthead in my high school days. :lol:

Brian

Wed May 11, 2016 6:48 am

Well if we go >4000 feet the list is really going to grow. Kathy has suggested a few already. I'd throw in at least Height and Nelson Crag, which has at least as good a view of George as the Boott IMO. Love the way the Ravines drop off into the notch from there.

Wed May 11, 2016 7:35 am

Granite Guy wrote:
Well if we go >4000 feet the list is really going to grow. Kathy has suggested a few already. I'd throw in at least Height and Nelson Crag, which has at least as good a view of George as the Boott IMO. Love the way the Ravines drop off into the notch from there.

I think the idea was none of the 48 4K's but I see no reason why they have to be under 4K. Unless it's to make for an easier hike.

Wed May 11, 2016 7:45 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Here are a few suggestions that I've enjoyed: South Doublehead, Jennings Peak, The Horn, Success, Magalloway, Chocorua, W-D. Also if we're saying Oscar has a trail then I'd also throw in The Nubble (Haystack) which sort of has a trail.

Wed May 11, 2016 11:15 am

krpayer wrote:
Also if we're saying Oscar has a trail then I'd also throw in The Nubble (Haystack) which sort of has a trail.

Which is funny because Greg and I were saying last night that Nubble would be a great addition too, so you would have at least two more votes on that one. :lol:

I think a good way to term it would be that the peak/destination has "reasonable foot access, meaning legally allowed foot travel (no trespassing) and that the foot access go to the peak/destination (no whacks)". Because face it, "trail" can be such a varying thing anyway. Lincoln Woods trail....c'mon, it's an old railroad bed that people now use to walk on. Or how many "trails" started out as snowmobile trails or logging roads. So yeah, I think "reasonable foot access" is a good descriptor.

Brian

Wed May 11, 2016 11:27 am
Sovereign Woodsman

New Hampshire wrote:
Grindboy wrote:

What can I say, I watched a lot of Beavis and Butthead in my high school days. :lol:

Brian

For a couple of years, it was more like "I had some high school days interrupting my Beavis and Butthead."

"Reasonable foot access" sounds reasonable to me, especially if it opens up more great spots that I wouldn't normally think of like the Nubble. For my part, I'd definitely encourage things like that, again so long as they're not actually bw's.

Wed May 11, 2016 11:46 am

If it needs another vote I like reasonable access too if it needs another vote. Finally! We're deciding on something! :D

Wed May 11, 2016 12:02 pm

Granite Guy wrote:
If it needs another vote I like reasonable access too if it needs another vote. Finally! We're deciding on something! :D

If only it were this easy to get Congress and the President to work together towards progress! :lol:

Wed May 11, 2016 3:18 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

New Hampshire wrote:
Which is funny because Greg and I were saying last night that Nubble would be a great addition too, so you would have at least two more votes on that one. :lol:

+1 more. Nubble is awesome.

New Hampshire wrote:
I think a good way to term it would be that the peak/destination has "reasonable foot access, meaning legally allowed foot travel (no trespassing) and that the foot access go to the peak/destination (no whacks)". Because face it, "trail" can be such a varying thing anyway. Lincoln Woods trail....c'mon, it's an old railroad bed that people now use to walk on. Or how many "trails" started out as snowmobile trails or logging roads. So yeah, I think "reasonable foot access" is a good descriptor.

/signed

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Fri May 13, 2016 11:54 am

OK, some more Vermont additions:

Haystack (by Mt. Snow)
Owl's Head (in Groton State Forest...short hike, neat reward)
Bromley (ski area with awesome views from the summit)
Worcester Range (there are several peaks along this range, but notable ones are Stowe Pinnacle, Mt. Hunger S, Peak and Worcester.)

This actually led me to a great idea for NHHS v. 16.2! :D

Brian

Sat May 14, 2016 7:36 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Ok here is my list. These r mostly hikes ive done or want to do based on what ive read here.
1.Rogers Ledge
2.Success
3.Shelburne-Moriah
4.Foss
5. Horn
6.Davis
7. Percy
8.Great Hill fire tower
9.Guyot
10.Clay
11.Goose Eye
12. Whitewall