Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 The Hike-NH views list..... 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Re: The Hike-NH views list.....
Oooohhhh, this looks like it is already getting fun. Willard becomes the State of Florida, a battleground between two camps in a contested election! :D

Name? Name....? Hmmmmm....? Well, since we live in the age of short attention spans and buzzwords always misspelled how about something like the "Hike-NH 50 EXXTREEM views" (have to add the caps for emphasis. :twisted: )

OK, maybe I should not be in charge of names either. :roll:

So I guess if we really want this to continue we would need to first settle what criteria we will use. How many votes to agree on something. Or what ratio of votes. That kind of thing.

Tue May 10, 2016 6:18 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
The Hike-NH Nifty Fifty? New England Scenic 75? Unmmm no. Clearly I'm not in charge of the name, but you get the idea.

GG's Fungi Hikes!? Views Not Necessarily From the Top?

I'd say it might be best to come up with a huge list of everything that would potentially be worthy and then pare it down from there to whatever number is settled upon. If we can come up with 82 destinations then pare it down to 75 or 50 for the final list. That trims the fat and makes it a nice number. I agree with Greg about sticking to NH then spreading out later. Of the active personnel on the forum most of us generally stick to NH hiking with a healthy (or unhealthy) dose of Acadia.

Tue May 10, 2016 6:24 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

New Hampshire wrote:
Willard becomes the State of Florida, a battleground between two camps in a contested election! :D

Not to mention all the tourists with their screaming mimi's. That's enough to keep me away. :P

Tue May 10, 2016 7:11 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Sometimes the trail/route does make all the difference. I think we could do like the WMG "recommended hikes" -- most of them are to a particular destination, sometimes with multiple routes suggested. Other times a specific route is a part of the suggestion -- "Sandwich Dome via the Algonquin Trail" or "Jefferson via Caps Ridge." I see no reason why that couldn't/shouldn't work. It makes things like Welch-Dickey make sense, as well. It's more than one spot, but it's one clearly delineated hike.

So it seems to me like we need to:

1) "Officially decide on scope -- NH only or all of NE (could even do two -- a NH list and then a larger NE list)

after which we could move on to the fun part:

2) Submit nominees

followed by the other fun part:

3) Vote, argue, attack, cry

By the way, how about (if we do 50?) "Hike-NH Fifty Favorites," since "Fifty Finest" is already taken and abused? Although I DO like the fungi suggestion!

Tue May 10, 2016 8:23 am

As for scope, why would we put together a hiking list of things many/most of us have hiked most of already? A new list we're basically 75% done with before we even start?? Just my .02 but NH specifically doesn't need another list. There's the 48, the 52, the NH100, the NH200, the NH3K's, the TW72, Belknaps, Ossipees... so if the goal is just to take the very best of these lists, add a handful, and make a master list of the very best I guess make it a NH list. I think it would be a far more interesting and exciting list to make and hike if it had the very best of the area we live in rather than confine it to some man made boundaries. If you're willing to drive 3.5 hours to Magalloway why not 3.5 to Tumbledown, or 2.5 to Mt. Hunger, or whatever they are from ones starting point that direct everyone north/south instead of east/west. Get some new sights and new places for people to see they can't get from the NH lists and spread out foot traffic. I love the New England Waterfalls top 25 hikes list. If you haven't seen it http://www.newenglandwaterfalls.com/top25newenglandhikes.php. Just one voice but that's my opinion. I'd like to see this be something vaguely along those lines only with our favorite/best places/hikes. It'll probably end up being heavily NH weighted anyhow since that's what most of us know best, even those who regularly hike elsewhere. That, and let's face it, NH does have the best hiking, in general, on a large scale. There's gems in other states like Baxter and Acadia and the Stowe area which Id like to see on any list, but we in general, and the website, is NH centric.

Tue May 10, 2016 8:32 am

Well, it looks to me like slowly we may be coming to the consensus of sticking with NH-centric, and leave the possibility open for later expansion in a greater circle. This is fine with me, even though it kills one of my proposed hikes (Pleasant Mountain in Maine :D )

So how about we work towards a NH based list, and then see how that goes, and maybe later on make an addendum list of VT, ME and MA (and possibly NY???).

And I also think we may be agreeing on, in some form, suggested trails for given places on the list.

OK, so all in favor of: NH-centric (for now), and suggested trails for given views, say YEA or NAY! 8)

Tue May 10, 2016 8:46 am

NAY! 8)

Tue May 10, 2016 9:00 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I also vote NAY! Otherwise this would be largely a rehash of other lists with tweaks. May as well call it the New 52. Bring people to new places I say.

Tue May 10, 2016 9:22 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

NAY, I think NH has enough lists. I'd like to branch out and go in a different
direction once in a while. (although I realize this IS hike-nh)

Terry

Tue May 10, 2016 9:48 am

Vote now. Vote Nay. Vote New England! :D

Tue May 10, 2016 10:00 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I don't exactly want to say "nay," because I think a NH-specific list would have it's own fun/value, but if that happens, I'd very much want it to be accompanied by a broader NE "expansion pack," maybe like the 48/67. But if there's only going to be one, I vote for NE.

Tue May 10, 2016 10:37 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Make your vote count in GraniteGuy's poll!

http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9220

Tue May 10, 2016 10:55 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

I'll say nay with the stipulation that we try to get some other voices from said NE states to chime in. Is that an unreasonable idea? As the newbie, who has not hiked anywhere close to all the 52WV or many other lists, a new NH list would still be new to me, but I like the idea more of a NE list in general as it pushes people to get outside of the White Mountain/Presidential Fever range. I am very in favor of strongly suggested trail routes that people feel are special. And I would suggest saving naming until close to the end. See how many you end up with, and see what develops in discussion.

And to keep info flowing, since this is already at 3 pages, maybe Brian edit his top post with the primary ideas that have floated to the top, so that new people to this discussion can get a quick overview before going through all the pages.

Tue May 10, 2016 11:38 am

Getting outside input on what we want on our list seems to be against the idea of creating our own list, but we could try anything. Probably be tough, but there's some blogs I read from Maine (like hiking in Maine with Kelly) that might have some good ideas. We do have forum members from at least NH, Mass and Maine. Some frequent visitors to Vermont also like Greg and Brian. And there's enough out there on other hikes like the Traveler Loop in Baxter even if nobody has been personally, yet...

I'm up in the air on the expansion pack thing. Not against it necessarily, but I really feel like many will basically be onto it already, so why not just go with it from the beginning? If someone can list a bunch of preliminary NH candidates that will make NH sort of fresh and exciting I guess I'd be more receptive to that idea personally. A greatest hits album of the existing lists and places we've been with some bonus tracks may as well just be called the New52 as Peter dubbed it, at least IMO.

Tue May 10, 2016 1:00 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Some random ones off the top of my head that should be somewhat fresh:

Red Hill. I believe you can still get views without the fire tower.
Black Cap in Conway.
Something in the Belknaps. Gunstock maybe. Wanted to avoid Mount Major, well, because it's Mount Major.
Mount Success

Tue May 10, 2016 1:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next