Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 The Hike-NH views list..... 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

The Hike-NH views list.....
...let's call this a working title at this point.

So in GG's Cinco de Mayo TR (in case you missed it) we joked about making a views list that tops the 52WAV. This is an idea I had actually kicked around for a while now, but hey, why not make it a community wide endeavor as well! So let's see how this goes. It may crash and burn, it may turn out to be a pure gem.

So basically this initial post I am asking what others think we should set as boundaries and how we go about it. Obviously I think the final product she be a culmination of peaks voted on by all of us here. So we would need to figure out how many votes a peak needs to make the cut. Also, scope? GG mentioned a New England wide list, which I think is great since it takes the natural progression of the 52WAV further. I think we should probably adopt the 52WAV rule of nothing above 4K, but I suppose we can vote on that as well. Also, since some great peaks, very much worthy, sit on the 52WAV list, so there will be some overlap. But at least we get to trim some dead weight off that list. :lol: We can be nice and say right out no bushwhack peaks (I know it kills a superior gem in Whitewall, but by doing this we make the list more palatable to a broader range of people.) I suppose we should also make some sort of rule like the AMC in, you have to climb it on foot up and down (because some peaks I would suggest....like Equinox in VT....has an auto road to the summit).

So, what is the interest in the idea here? Anything I may have missed? C'mon folks, this is the perfect opportunity to band together and do something fun! :beer:

Brian

--------------

Current items up for discussion:

New England wide or just New Hampshire
Considering if we want to gather peaks across New England or make this New Hampshire only with possible expansion to New England later

Height limit
Do we cap this under 4000 feet or include 4K's. And do we only consider peaks only, or accept destinations as well (like waterfalls and level trails)? Does prominence matter (i.e. Zeacliff, Ball Crag, etc.)

A suggested route option
Since some peaks can be made or broken simply by a good or bad trail consider suggested routes to amplify the peak in question.

To group or not to group, that is the question
Eliminate the odd quirk of the 52WAV list which had some peaks nearby lumped together while others appeared separate. So do we either put peaks close together in one category or each separate?

What name do we give this list
Self explanatory.

Voting method
How are we going to go about voting for items.

Last edited by New Hampshire on Wed May 11, 2016 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 08, 2016 9:42 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: The Hike-NH views list.....
New England Wide

Above 4K should be included b/c Guyot and Franklin need some love

Gotta be hiked but any means of getting to the actual trailhead s/b allowed - unlike the AMC rule of not counting of a bike is used to get to trailhead when road closed, etc.

No bushwhacks works for me but I'm not a bushwhacker so perhaps a *B designation with levels like they have for rocks climbs. You know, a route with no blazes but a no-brainer could be a B5 (or 1 or whatever lowest level is determined) while an all out navigating with compass with no view-sight through flesh eating brambles could be a B10.

Pictures MUST accompany a trail report?

Sun May 08, 2016 10:42 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I think Guyot and Franklin get enough traffic. People may not appreciate them, but they go over them. I think they, and others like Clay, Boott Spur, Little Haystack and others on the TW72, as nice as they may be, already have a spot for the list chasers. No minimum elevation requirement (because while not very tall, I can't get behind a New England views list that doesn't have a few places in Acadia) but perhaps a prominence one in order to whittle things down a bit in spots, again like Acadia, where if you wanted you could probably list 20 mountains that meet the great views requirement.

Maybe the Hike-NH list should be sort of singular spots if you will. Something new to many and with a great view you won't find or have to visit/go over while doing hikes on other lists, as is the case with Truman and Little Haystack. The idea of new lists when they pop up seems to be one of two things. Either it is 1) a straight elevation/col/distance requirements, or 2) to get people to visit new areas and see new sights, or at least different vantage points of the same old ones. Either that, or there could be a col/distance requirement from spots on both this and other major lists.

Personally I like the New England idea, both because it's where I like to hike and because there seems to be more than enough NH based lists already. Spread out traffic, show off new gems, build interests and love for other spots.

Sun May 08, 2016 4:42 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I've been saying this for a long time, but here's my chance to be heard:

White Ledges!

The White Ledges near Mt. Sunapee, to be exact. It's tall enough for inclusion on the NH 52 with a View (2,717'), but it got snubbed :evil: . Just barely shorter than Sunapee, but twice the view. Plus, Lake Solitude is right below, which makes for an awesome frame.

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Sun May 08, 2016 5:01 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Good, because I need more than the 14 lists that I'm working through already (I think that's actually a real number).

But, yes, good, I'm obviously always in favor of more (obviously), and even if it's just a "list of great places/hikes" that's most of what I'm up for anyway (and, I think what the intent of 52WAV is/was).

I'm definitely good with including more than just NH, although it will cut down on the input that many of us will be able to have. . . but of course the trade off is many of us will have more new places to check out. With that in mind, I wonder if requiring a certain number of votes would work, of it a certain percentage/threshold could be a better way to determine what ought to qualify. If there's a sweet spot that only 2 people have been to but they're informed opinions and both agree that it's great, that could be meaningful. But I'd suggest at least 2 people vouching for a place. Just some thinking.

I suppose I'd be ok with including 4k's or not. I suppose for me personally it would be more interesting to not, but would be fine either way.

I'd suggest that perhaps any who would wish to participate nominate peaks/spots, and after everybody's had time to peruse the list and put forth their own ideas, others could weigh in on yes/no for wherever they've personally been. From then, we could either take every peak/place that reaches or exceeds a particular threshold/percentage of yes votes, or the top however many if we decided to limit it to a particular number, such as 52 or whatever.

Just a couple of thoughts/suggestions. I like the idea and would be happy to participate, and even happier to hike! Of course if there's a different/better way to try to work it, even better!

Sun May 08, 2016 7:40 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Has any one ever taken a look at the Terrifying 25? The Herr girls and Mom Trish came up with this. What makes it interesting and unique is that they have the main list of required hikes, but then there is a list which has the optional ones to round out the list. You do 25 if you've done the list, but there is a little variety. Would this concept interest anyone for our list?

Views - not just landscape, but waterscape as well. Like great waterfalls and of course the Atlantic from your favorite ledge (here's looking at you, Mr. Acadia :D ). Sunapee, Spaulding, other lakes.

I like Kathy's idea of avoiding that AMC rule where you have to include the road walk in the hike when the road's closed.

Sun May 08, 2016 8:44 pm

I would say something like 4 or 5 votes should be a good number. I mean, if 4 or 5 people here think it is worth it, then it probably is! :D

An easy way around the problem of someplace people have not been to is simply to have the person suggesting it provide acceptable picture documentation. For example, I will say Oscar needs to be on there, and since I doubt more than a few of us here have been there I would simply say this is my proof:

(image courtesy of Joe 8) )

And of course (like mentioned above) we could include places not actual summits, but still a hike of sorts with views, like the Pondicherry refuge:

putting this one as a link because it a pano and I don't want to deal with wrecking page format)

Brian

Sun May 08, 2016 8:50 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

New Hampshire wrote:
this is my proof:

(image courtesy of Joe 8) )

And of course we could include places not actual summits, but still a hike of sorts with views, like the Pondicherry refuge

I am LOVING this already Brian.

Sun May 08, 2016 10:09 pm

Not exactly sure what you are doing here. Is this a list just to be posted here when it's done? Or is it something you would like to get published for the public?

My quick thoughts. Acadia is a list in itself. It would be easier to come up with mountains there that don't belong on the than that do. Found a great candidate in Sentinel Mtn in Baxter last year but do you want to have people driving 5-6 hours and dealing with the Baxter rules?

And I've said this before about Oscar. It's a great peak with great views but no official hiking trail from the base to the summit. I think that has to be a must.

That's just my 1.5 cents for now. 8)

Mon May 09, 2016 5:17 am

JustJoe wrote:
Not exactly sure what you are doing here. Is this a list just to be posted here when it's done? Or is it something you would like to get published for the public?

For now let's just call it something we are doing for sh*ts and giggles here. If any of the wider hiking public want to enjoy it's finer points, then all the better.

Quote:
My quick thoughts. Acadia is a list in itself. It would be easier to come up with mountains there that don't belong on the than that do. Found a great candidate in Sentinel Mtn in Baxter last year but do you want to have people driving 5-6 hours and dealing with the Baxter rules?

Hmmm, taking in to account things like drive time and silly access rules could be a good thing. I mean, I guess we could say that Magalloway deserves to be on the list, but due to the drive might be eliminated.

Quote:
And I've said this before about Oscar. It's a great peak with great views but no official hiking trail from the base to the summit. I think that has to be a must.

No hiking trail, yes, but a dirt access road in which you are allowed to hike on it does have, so by saying it has no "trail" access is probably mincing words. :P

Brian

Mon May 09, 2016 6:22 am

But what if we take the wrong dirt path and miss the chairlift down?! :D Acadia could have its own list, but maybe some prominence requirement from neighboring peaks would cut it down to say Cadillac, Pemetic and Sargent or whatever.

Also, Magalloway is on the 52WAV I think. Are we trying to come up with a unique list, as in peaks and views not on other lists? Or just a superlative list?

Once we figure out our goal and/or criteria anyone interested can submit a top 20 or 30 or whatever and go from there. Multiple nominations make the first cut. Lobby for favorites others may not have been to from there??

Mon May 09, 2016 6:56 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I think that drive times shouldn't be taken into consideration. Drive times are relative. Acadia is a 4 and change hour drive for me but for Derek its 3 and change. Where is the cutoff and in relationship to who? People drive to the Main 4ks all the time and those are 4ish hour drives for me but not others. A list for me is a long term pursuit and not something that you complete in a month. If we want to make it "easier" we could cluster some points relatively closer together so people who go camping (which a lot do) can spend a few days and bag them. If a peak is worthy, let it be on the list. regardless of distance. We have nice chunks of real estate here in New England. I'm all for spreading the love out.

Mon May 09, 2016 8:07 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

As far as drive times, you could just say "the hike/view worth driving to", like
The Phantom Gourmet and "the dish worth driving to".

Terry

Mon May 09, 2016 10:10 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Beckie and Prema wrote:

Views - not just landscape, but waterscape as well. Like great waterfalls and of course the Atlantic from your favorite ledge (here's looking at you, Mr. Acadia :D ). Sunapee, Spaulding, other lakes.

100% agree with waterscapes. I like the idea of views being more then a peak. The wildness and beauty of a place makes it just as special to experience. I would advocate for including special trails. Drakes Brook Trail is a magical walk.

Maybe for nominations purposes take it back to school a bit.

Have whoever is suggesting a place, write a short essay as to why it should be included. Pictures are wonderful, but I'd like to hear what about a spot invoked a depth of feeling that made it something they want included. "It's pretty," is great and all, but tell us your story of what made it Beauty for you. When did you hike it? Season? Did you solo or go with someone? What was a memorable moment?

It sounds like the list is about places that invoke that special connection we get with nature sometimes. That John Muir feeling of woods. "The winds blessing the forests, the forests the winds, with ineffable beauty and harmony as the sure result." "Delicious sunshine came pouring over the hills, lighting the tops of the pines, and setting free a steam of summery fragrance that contrasted strangely with the wild tones of the storm. The air was mottled with pine-tassels and bright green plumes, that went flashing past in the sunlight like birds pursued. But there was not the slightest dustiness, nothing less pure than leaves, and ripe pollen, and flecks of withered bracken and moss." http://vault.sierraclub.org/john_muir_exhibit/writings/the_mountains_of_california/chapter_10.aspx

Drive time shouldn't matter. But if it's all of New England, indicate favorable seasons for said places to make a drive worthwhile and for planning ease. For other states, maybe find some locals to come chime in? We're all NH based, and while I know many of you hike other places, a native might have a better suggestion.

My .02 :)

Mon May 09, 2016 10:49 am
Master Mountaineer

hiker0200 wrote:

The White Ledges near Mt. Sunapee, to be exact. It's tall enough for inclusion on the NH 52 with a View (2,717'), but it got snubbed :evil: . Just barely shorter than Sunapee, but twice the view. Plus, Lake Solitude is right below, which makes for an awesome frame.

Pics, hiker0200?

Who needs actions when you got words?

Mon May 09, 2016 3:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next