Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Hiking "Credentials" 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Hiking "Credentials"
When I joined this forum a couple (or a few ) years back, I noticed at the time it seemed practically everyone's signature included their hiking lists and where they were at. Although I didn't post mine, I found it interesting to see where some were at with there goals. Some of these lists were quite extensive and I confess I didn't know what everything meant. Now it seems that those have been removed and I am wondering why? Or am I just getting older and my memory isn't as accurate as I would like to believe it is??

Fri May 06, 2016 5:36 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Hiking "Credentials"
I never had mine either but it seems like a lot more people used to have them, especially the ones who's hiking focus is/was on the AMC lists. Some still do, and many of the ones who no longer post regularly still have them in their sig line, but just don't post anymore. Some of the posters that are here now probably can't get all the credentials to fit on the page.

Fri May 06, 2016 8:09 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

It would be annoying if half a thread consisted of i have hiked 237/571 NH whatever's, 50/67 ... Blah blah blah. Before I used to think these people were elite. Now I think they just have more time available/ been doing this longer than I have. Don't get me wrong. Some have some great athletic abilities. I can appreciate that. I don't because within my perspective, it's nothing special. I just enjoy the time that I have.

Fri May 06, 2016 8:37 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I've never done it, but if you're new to the board and don't know people, it can sometimes be helpful have an idea of somebody's experience level and where their thoughts and comments are coming from.

For example, perhaps I wouldn't have been called "Mr. Experience" this winter if my sig told everybody that my winter 4k count could be done on one hand. Heh!

Sat May 07, 2016 7:52 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Hmm, I hadn't really noticed but now that you point it out...

Yeah, I remember the signature lines being much more prevalent when I joined, you're not crazy. I also remember the forum and trip reports being a lot more focused on the 4000 footers when I joined. Coincidence? It's a smaller crowd here now and one which seems more interested in just hiking, not particularly adhering to lists. I personally never felt the need to remind everyone how far along I was with my lists with every post, but I didn't really mind those who did.

Sat May 07, 2016 8:29 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

The only time I think I ever did the "cred" thing was when I was actually working on the 48. That was quite some time ago. I did for a while do a tongue in cheek version, but that was of course for laughs and went along the lines of:

W48: 72
52WAV: 54

etc. etc. etc. The thing I realized early on is "cred" does not really mean anything really. I remember several years ago on "the other" hiking forum ( :wink: ) a person made a comment in a thread, another person who did not like said comment basically wrote that what the hell did that guy know, he hadn't even done the 48 yet. Well, said guy he was mocking was an avid winter ice climber, had climbed Washington in winter 70 times (and that did not even count any of his other vast winter Presidential climbs which he did not keep track of), and he even said that was the only record keeping he ever did. :D So when it came down to it, who would you say had more experience, the guy who had winter climbed the Presis an untold number of times, or someone who has their any season 48 list done? And this goes for the people who, crazy as it may sound, just never finish a given list because they see no need to visit certain peaks. I mean, lets face it, Owl's Head, Waumbek, Zealand.....these are peaks only a peakbagger could love. So someone could potentially hike a consistent 500 miles a year in every season and in all conditions, but not have completed any of those lists which some deem so important an indicator of experience.

So for me the bottom line is that I am not chastising someone who does like to post their "cred", but rather the point is that someone's "cred" does not really mean much in the big picture. I mean, as a friend of mine put it once: "for goodness sake, it's just walking uphill afterall." :lol:

Brian

Sat May 07, 2016 1:18 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

New Hampshire wrote:
"for goodness sake, it's just walking uphill afterall."

And then downhill. And then back up again. And over those rocks. And WHAT? UP THERE?? Repeat. With a pack. 8)

Sounds like Greg, except for the "for goodness sake" part so I'd guess Salty.

I believe you are correct about those working on their list(s) that used to include the #s in their sig. By the time I figured out that I was actually doing a list it was never the # that mattered to me so no need to advertise. AND, to say 48/48 seems to be an ending. As you well know for most of us, it is more a beginning.

Sat May 07, 2016 3:30 pm

Kathy wrote:
Sounds like Greg, except for the "for goodness sake" part so I'd guess Salty.

Actually, wrong on both guesses. :lol: It was my friend Russ, aka McRat, the silliest bugger you will meet on the trail and the inspiration for the trail magic extravaganzas of past. 8)

I know what your thinking, and yes surprisingly (despite popular belief) I do have more than 3 friends, though sometimes I wish I had none! :twisted:

Sat May 07, 2016 3:49 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Flash wrote:
When I joined this forum a couple (or a few ) years back, I noticed at the time it seemed practically everyone's signature included their hiking lists and where they were at. Although I didn't post mine, I found it interesting to see where some were at with there goals. Some of these lists were quite extensive and I confess I didn't know what everything meant. Now it seems that those have been removed and I am wondering why? Or am I just getting older and my memory isn't as accurate as I would like to believe it is??

I miss seeing these as well. I always liked to see what people were working on, what they had accomplished, what new goals I had never heard of, etc. I looked at them out of interest. Those signature lists gave me ideas and it was just cool to see what people had accomplished and who had yet to discover some great hikes. But, I also liked to know what big mountains (single hikes), what parks, what novel locations people had hiked as well.

Sometimes people would assume someone who had hiked the 48 or multiple others lists had some sort of level of experience others did not, as if there were only one linear path to mountain experience. In the ignorant, web-based world of fast and thin information we have now, that seems to have become the normal assumption. What naturally followed from this assumption was that some who had hiked the 48 became "experts" to young web-based newbies. This bothers some people with far more experience. "Why" it bothers them I will leave to the field of psychology.

I have hiked the 48 a few times. That doesn't make me more experienced than Reinhold Messner, who, if I am not mistaken, has never hiked the 48.

Here's an idea - how about a thread like "TPBM" is but instead, ask about another hiker to shed light on his or her accomplishments, goals, current projects, rare places hiked, etc?

Okay, I'll just do it. It could die on the planning table but let's see if this works...

Sun May 08, 2016 4:43 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

krpayer wrote:
Yeah, I remember the signature lines being much more prevalent when I joined, you're not crazy.

Phew...sigh. At least I feel better about that....lol.

Kathy wrote:
AND, to say 48/48 seems to be an ending. As you well know for most of us, it is more a beginning.

So true Kathy, so true.

Sun May 08, 2016 1:59 pm
Master Mountaineer

New Hampshire wrote:
Actually, wrong on both guesses. :lol: It was my friend Russ, aka McRat, the silliest bugger you will meet on the trail and the inspiration for the trail magic extravaganzas of past. 8)

Is that Rusty, the guy who hikes in Crocs?

Who needs actions when you got words?

Mon May 09, 2016 3:21 pm

iagreewithjamie wrote:

Is that Rusty, the guy who hikes in Crocs?

Nope. He is the die- hard hammock camper. Occasionally he has been known to wear a Mr. Goodhumor suit while handing out ice cream sandwiches to thru hikers though. :lol: Sadly health issues have curtailed many of his hiking activities, but hopefully he will bounce back like the good sport we know him to be. 8)

Brian

Mon May 09, 2016 5:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]