Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The Hiker Below Me has........ 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

The Hiker Below Me has........
Okay, based on two other recent threads, I'm tossing an idea out there.

Similar to the "photo below mine" thread, each post in this thread will ask for a response but from a specific hiker. It will be about lists completed, partial lists completed, individual mountains hiked/climbed, great hikes you've done, rare places you've been to hike, etc.

After you list your stuff, call out someone else to do the same.

Maybe in this way people can write of and read these things without feeling like it is coming from a place of "peak-bragging." I'm simply interested in these things whether its the same list 58 times or seeking out every small nook in NH.

So I will start. It sounds like she has lots of goals, so:

In the post below mine, I want to know what Kathy has done, what she is working on, and where she has been.

Sun May 08, 2016 4:52 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: The Hiker Below Me has........
Perhaps you should kick it off with your own accomplishments and goals.

Sun May 08, 2016 2:06 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

thegibba wrote:

Yeah. What ^ he said. :) That'll give me time to put my #s together. :?:

Excellent idea. Thanks for thinking of me.

Sun May 08, 2016 5:34 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Good ideas! From all three of you!

Sun May 08, 2016 8:13 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

thegibba wrote:

thegibba wrote:

I avoided that on purpose so we would be asking about others, but since you asked, I suppose that fits the bill. Here's a few things I have done and places I have been.

NH48 (four rounds)
NH48 winter
NH48 winter solo
NE67
NEHH
AT thruhike 2000-2001 finishing February
Pike's Peak
Mount Adams Challenge (x2), planning third this year
Mount Washintgon Road Race once, signed up for this year's again
One day Pemi Loop
One day Pressie Traverse
Randolph Ramble Trail Race
5 years as Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail Adopter, still going
5 years on FOT48, leading trips four years.

I have about 70/72 TW peaks and logged most of the trail work hours
I am mostly done with the 48 in all four seasons and will try to finish
I have gridded about 45%, but am half assed about it. Too many other goals to focus.
I am hiking the RMC100 with my daughter as she grows
One day I want to climb Adams three times in the same day from three routes. Better do this soon.

I like mountains, I like lists, depends on the day at this point whether I peak bag, trail run, or just simply wander in the woods. I like to get away from the 48 and discover other areas as well, but have been lucky enough to have a lot of time in the Whites these past 18 years.

Kathy? :). Let's see if this works. All for fun, not for bragging, we all kick ass here.

Last edited by Raven on Tue May 10, 2016 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 09, 2016 1:37 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Raven wrote:

NH48 (four rounds)
NH48 winter
NH48 winter solo
NE67
NEHH
Pike's Peak
One day Pemi Loop
One day Pressie Traverse

What, no H2H in one calendar day? Slacker. :roll:

Mon May 09, 2016 2:54 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Alrighty. Some quick math gives me this:

48/48 48 1st round
30/48 48 Round 2
15/48 48 Winter
8/48 48 Every Season
19/48 48 Solo
49/100 NEHH
19/52 52 WAV

10/210.4 mi JMT
?/2200 mi AT

I have been involved with flags for about 6 years, have done 4 diff peaks for that. Hope to be able to represent again this year.

I have not done a Presi traverse, would like to.

I have been a trail adopter for 3 years. Would have loved to get Crawford Path section up my mountain but was told somebody beat me to it. For now....

I would love to add up the miles at some point. I know for my 1st round of the 48 I did something like 317 miles.

That's about it. Oh. IF I were to figure out the grid it's something like 25% done.

Like Raven, I like goals. I like lists. I like keeping track of things. When I make a "to-do" list my 1st entry is often to make a list. That way I get to cross something off right off the bat. I know. I know. I need help. I have had some habits in the past that were less admirable, less healthy, less earthy. So this obsession, habit, lifestyle - call it what you will - keeps me sane, happy, healthy, grounded.

I am calling out hiking lady since I know you have some time on your hands right about now with that bum leg.

Mon May 09, 2016 4:29 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Wow, impressive Kathy, looks like you have plenty to keep u busy!

Ugh, well, mine is not as impressive as others are, and although I've kept a list of all the peaks I've done, I'm not as ambitious as everyone else here since I tend to gravitate towards other hobbies, like xc skiing, horseback riding, road and mtn biking, some kayaking, with more to come probably! I was working on doing all the rail trails in the state, but got disteacted by road biking the perimeter of the state last year.

48/48-2004, took me 9 yrs to do it, starting in 95 with W., ending with Owls Head.

Did the firetower list, not the one chuck and cheryl did, but the easy one.

10 Ossipees, but still am poking around that area, or was, doing stuff not on a list.

6 of the Belknap out of the 12. That area doesn't excite me too much, so I I tend to be dragging through that list, but again there are areas over there that I want to explore that are not on the list, and have done some if them, but it is a vast area, for being such a small area.

49/52 WAV, or around there. I should have done this by now, but couldn't get my act together, someday.

I've hiked a bunch out in the desert southwest, (nothing impressive), but never really wrote anything down, since it was all before I was aware of lists.

I have hiked a bunch of ski areas, open and not open, starting it before Jeremy put together his website on lost ski areas. I've not looked at what the numbers are, but let's just say I've done quite a few, and have some weird fondness for hiking crappy ski slopes :roll: someday I'll get around to figuring that out.

I also was trying to hike all the ravines, but only did a few, with some of the longer ones and knarlier ones undone as of yet. I have done, kings, castle & tucks.

I also gave an affinity for doing traverses, backpacking overnights. I have done likely 6, with many to go, including, the kilkenny traverse, mahoosucs, etc.

So, as people may or may not recall, I've mentioned a couple of times that my real all time life goal, is to hike anything that has a trail to a summit, or pond, or ski area, in NH. I have not yet to see it as a overall list, but I'm sure someone out there has done it. Each year I compile a list of hikes I want to do, never accomplish all of them because I'm generally able to get distracted by something I see on hike nh that someone posted and then want to run out and do it. Then to add to that, I see new ones that I was unaware of, and I get discouraged with the realization I likely won't do it all in my lifetime.

I also like doing all the hikes listed in certain guidebooks, which I've completed none, but have a majority competed. I liked that Grindboy does this, ade me feel more average.

Done some redlining, not tracking it, don't plan on doing it, except select ones. I tend to have a desire to hike all the trails around Madison and adams, W, etc, but no desire for all redlining.

No interest in the 48 winter list, or grid, etc, since I like hiking where nobody else goes.

Have done mild bushwhacking around my area but nothing to write home about. I am interested in doing more, but no lists, just fun stuff.

So I have lists that are a list and those I've made up as lists.

Overall I think I've hiked about 580 something peaks that I have documented in nh.
Hopefully later this summer I can get back on the trails.

I'll call on GG to continue this.....since he was kind enuf to alert me to this! Thx GG and Raven, great thread, looking forward to reading others!

Tue May 10, 2016 12:38 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

JustJoe wrote:
Raven wrote:

NH48 (four rounds)
NH48 winter
NH48 winter solo
NE67
NEHH
Pike's Peak
One day Pemi Loop
One day Pressie Traverse

What, no H2H in one calendar day? Slacker. :roll:

I will take that as a compliment Joe. Thanks. I am not sure if that one is within me, but maybe at some point. I'm not necessarily fast, just steady. The H2H is bigger than anything I have ever done in terms of a one day commitment.

If, however, I wanted a picture of anything in the Whites.....a waterfall, a junction, a signpost, etc, I would first think of you. Your photo library is encyclopedic. I think you have logged more than a few miles yourself.

Kathy and Hiking Lady, thanks for joining the fun. Those are the kinds of goals that are interesting to read about. Hiking every ravine has been on my mind for example so was glad to see that one. I just find it interesting reading what drives others to get out there, whether hikes, paddling, or other. We all are drawn for some reason. What's yours?

GG has been all over the place in NH and I have searched his posts to find such interesting things as boulders into which one can climb for example. His travel log has got to be interesting and quite broad in scope...the 48 is fun for me still, but GG has all sorts of more interesting places to read about.

Tue May 10, 2016 4:21 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Raven wrote:
If, however, I wanted a picture of anything in the Whites.....a waterfall, a junction, a signpost, etc, I would first think of you. Your photo library is encyclopedic. I think you have logged more than a few miles yourself

Word

Tue May 10, 2016 4:29 pm

OK, well, I don't have many lists or accomplishments actually. I'm not a list driven hiker per se, if anything I'm more of a red-liner but only half-a**ed about that too. I just work it in when I can. I'm driven by finding a great hike, which for me involves great terrain and views, preferably to a new place but an older one with a new route works just fine. It is truly about the journey and not the destination when I hit the trails. Getting to a summit of anything to check off a list is secondary for me when I hike, although most worthwhile trails in the mountains end up on one eventually. Finding the most interesting sounding route to that summit comes first, so if the trails to something sound boring or views, nice woods, natural features etc etc are non-existent then odds are it's not high on my priority list. Just because it reaches a certain elevation or has a saddle between its nearest neighbors of a certain depth, 99% of the time, means nothing to me. There's usually one exception/list to that rule at a time for me, and at the moment it's the ADK46ers/NE111. The others just happen when they happen.

I just happen to live near the junction of two highways that can get me pretty much anywhere worth hiking in the northeast with a 5 hour drive, most with far less than that, so it's not like Acadia is 6 hours for me and Vermont is 1.5, thus when I look for a hike I check the weather, see what looks best and pick a hike in that area, or in the time frame I have free, that looks good. I will rarely waste a good views hike on a crummy day strictly for peakbagging purposes, especially if it's a long drive. And driving doesn't bother me one bit if the hike is a good one. 4-5 hours to Acadia, Baxter or the Adirondacks for a day hike? Why not?! You only live once! When you have the time, go somewhere glorious, not just somewhere convenient.

I love the big peaks, long hikes and backpacking trips the most, but also like the smaller stuff, off the radar stuff and local stuff also. They need love too. Someone thought all the preserves, conservation areas, forests, parks etc etc were worthwhile to protect and enjoy. So I try and do just that. If I only have a little time in the morning or evening or under a full moon it's all fair game. I'd like to hike every one of these little places within 45 minute to an hour of me. I've hiked more of them than I can count, but always seem to find new ones with minimal digging. Some are great, some are busts. Often with three little kids at home that's all I can work in, and I've learned to appreciate just being out without a roof over my head and trying to get some good pics of each one.

And finally you may have noticed I have a thing for the Maine coast. Not sure why exactly, but the sights, sounds and scents of the forests and ocean mixing together is heavenly for me. If you put a gun to my head and said I could only hike in either the Whites, Adirondacks or Acadia the rest of my life I think I'd pick the last one. But it doesn't even have to be Acadia. It can be Agamenticus. Harpswell. The Camden Hills. The islands of Casco Bay. The Bold Coast. Wherever. If there's a trail along the Maine coast I want to hike it at some point.

So that's why I hike where I hike. As for the "accomplishments" part of this, I don't regularly track most of them, so I had to look it up, which is why it took me so long to respond. Here's what I come up with

The lists I have tracked:
Fire Tower Quest - Check
NHCoHP - 8/10
Ossipees - 10/10
Belknaps - 12+/12
New England Waterfalls Top 25 Hikes in NE - 23.5/25
Terrifying 25 - 17/20 required and 9/14 optional
NH48 - 48/48. Most multiple times. Some only twice, a handful only once. Don't track winter/solo or anything like that. I don't track the grid either, but if I did I'd be around 24% with a quick glance.
NE67 - 67/67
ADK46 - 19/46
Catskills - 2/2 4K's + 2 3500
Which adds up to 88/115 for the NE111
52WAV - 29/52
50 Finest - 25/50
100Highest - 72/100
TW - 61/72

Redlining:
35% in the Whites. Not sure how realistic it is to ever finish the whole thing, since I have about 1500 miles logged in them but not nearly as many unique miles obviously. But will at least finish my favorite areas, that being the 6 designated Wildernesses, which is something I actually work on whenever I can.
41% in the Belknaps
58% of Acadia on MDI but only 52% overall
90% of the Camden Hills State Park
Pawtuckaway and Agamenticus both 100% (my local spots)

Other random stuff
- A very understanding wife when it comes to this hobby/passion of mine :D
- Overnight winter Presi Traverse but no single day yet. No Pemi loop or GRT yet either but all hopefully sooner or later
- Spent the night camping on Washington's summit during said traverse. Mostly out of necessity (partly out of desire :D )
- Mt. Marcy in Winter (trying to hike all the northeast 5K's in winter but so far Algonquin and Katahdin have eluded me)
- Black Mountains of NC hike tagging the two highest summits in the east and 4 of the top 8
- Visited/hiked/walked in 30/59 US National Parks. Would like to get to them all eventually.
- Visited/hiked/walked in 40/75 the NH state Parks. Would like to see them all eventually too but some have nothing to do with hiking
- Would like to hike the 48 as a family when the kids are older, as well as help my wife work on her list
- Was planning a thru hike of the Long Trail with a friend for our 40th birthdays starting next May but not sure that'll happen quite yet either
- Thru hike of the NH section of the AT is also in the future plans. Add it to the bucket list
- Most hiked Mountain is Chocorua (16 times) and I still need two trails to redline the massif
- Most hiked 4K is Lafayette 13 times. Lincoln 11. Washington 9.
- FOT48 for the last three years with the group from this site. Hoping for many more!

Seems like that about covers it. Now lets see if Greg/Hardcoreidiot wants to play. He always seems to be working on some sort of list or another. Very interested in what exactly they are.

Tue May 10, 2016 8:21 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Let's see, off the top of my head:

New Hampshire 48. Complete.
New England 67. 11 peaks to go, all in Maine.
New England 100 Highest. 22 to go, all in Maine.
New Hampshire 100 Highest. Complete.
New Hampshire 200 Highest. Complete.
New Hampshire 300 Highest. Complete.
New Hampshire 500 Highest. around 70 to go.
The New Hampshire Fire Tower List. All 16 done.
Belknap Range. 10 of 12.
Ossipee's: 7 of 10.
52WAV: 50 of 52.

Other lists I am working on:
Vermont 3K
Vermont 100 Highest
Vermont 200 Highest
Vermont 300 Highest
Massachusetts 100 Highest

Almost to 750 peaks hiked in my short hiking career. Miles? No clue. I think I have upped my miles in the last three years so I believe I average around 850 miles a year. I have done some hiking in Texas and chipping away at the 14ers in Colorado.

Spencer, you are up.

Wed May 11, 2016 6:58 am
Sovereign Woodsman

HardcoreIdiot wrote:
chipping away at the 14ers in Colorado.

Have you done the Collegiates?

Wed May 11, 2016 3:26 pm

I already can't wait for the report from the knife edge on Captiol Peak.

Wed May 11, 2016 3:34 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Kathy wrote:
HardcoreIdiot wrote:
chipping away at the 14ers in Colorado.

Have you done the Collegiates?

I have not.

Grays
Torreys
Quandary
Bierstadt