Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Cardigan - Please avoid 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Cardigan - Please avoid
Walrus wrote:
He has a pet trail, so what? We need more, not less, of that.

We need more people with pet trails telling us to stay off public lands for two whole months? I'm not buying it. What would we do if every trail adopter put out these same words of advice for their specific trails?

"PLEASE stay off this trail until at least 1 May even after the gate on the access road is opened."

"PLEASE HIKE ELSEWHERE TIL MEMORIAL DAY. Give the trail a chance to firm up."

Essentially go hike somewhere else and ruin that trail. I would think almost every trail out there of equal or greater elevation is equally vulnerable. So why tell people to go ruin someone else's hard work and leave yours alone? What makes the trail he maintains any more important than someone else's? I don't like that attitude. Just a bit too elitist for me.

Wed May 04, 2016 6:54 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
What would we do if every trail adopter put out these same words of advice for their specific trails?

Probably the same thing that happens now with this guy: nothing. The veteran hikers would realize that trail maintainers don't have the authority to prevent people from hiking and they'll hike whatever trails they want. The novice hikers probably don't even bother checking trail report websites and will never see this notice. Those website are free any anyone can post whatever "trail conditions" they want. If it bothers you so much, go ahead an post a report that says how the trail is perfectly fine and how people should go ahead and enjoy it. I sincerely doubt anyone is changing their plans because of what some guy says on the internet.

Personally, I only use the trail report sites in winter to see if something is broken out.

Wed May 04, 2016 3:31 pm

krpayer wrote:
If it bothers you so much, go ahead an post a report that says how the trail is perfectly fine and how people should go ahead and enjoy it.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me one bit. And, that's exactly what I did a month ago. I did post a report here and it linked to TrailsNH. Listed trail conditions, posted pics, and people can decide for themselves hoe to use their state park. That was good enough for me. When Kathy posted the guys second plea here I responded to it because I had seen his first one and happened to have 5 minutes on my hands, pretty much just saying what I thought of the trails and that nobody I talked to cared at all and someone asking everyone else to stay off the trails for 2 months was ridiculous IMO. There was no anger, and nothing taken personally. I didn't write in all exclamation marks or use CAPS LOCK to imply I was angry or yelling. But I guess Walrus took my response, which I myself called a rant just because it rambled, as anger for some reason. Leave off my sarcastic finish, which if you take literally would come off as anger I suppose (but it wasn't meant to be) and this is what I wrote...

"thegibba and I hiked Cardigan. The trails were fine. Yes spots are still going through the freeze and thaw cycles, this person hiked it right after we just got snow so it probably refrozen after being thawed and dry for the previous month. But it may continue to do that until the nights don't dip below freezing. But less so there than on the higher peaks. I found the trails to be in great shape, with a little ice and mud in the spots that always have puddles and mud, which is obvious by the stepping stones and bog bridges. We spoke with two guys who came up west ridge and said it was dry and had only minor avoidable ice. I also takes with the AMC caretaker there for about half an hour and he never mentioned anything like that, in fact the lodge had large groups coming in that weekend (like 30 people large) and just wanted to know when we were finished if there were any really bad ice floes left inexperienced hikers should avoid. Didn't care one bit about using the trails. If the AMC had advised against it I might care. The Squam Lakes association ended their mud season closures too and they are very picky about when they open up their trails.

This know-it-all person needs to just mind their own business. The West Ridge is a superhighway to begin with. Really, if you can't hike there, you can't hike anywhere north of the Belknaps in NH until June. All trails will all be thawing out and highly vulnerable to boots and erosion until bone dry.
"

Anger? Nope. Taking it personally? Nope. What I care about is when I respond to someone posting a plea telling everyone else basically STAY OFF MY TRAIL, I get asked why I'm angry, why I'm taking it personally and what my problem is. Well, I'm not angry. I'm not taking it personally. And I stated what my problem with it is pretty clearly I thought. If the guy has the right to post that then I think I have the right to respond if I want to. What is Walrus's problem with that exactly??

Wed May 04, 2016 5:25 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I know you wrote the reports and included that info. Your reports do get a bit long sometimes :wink: (not complaining) and I can see how that type of info could be glazed over compared to this gent's report which is short and to the point. I just meant a second report on NETC or something could help to prove your point.

Anyway, I think we all agree that this guy shouldn't be telling other people what to do. My point is that no one takes these reports as "law" or at least they shouldn't. If someone posts a report and says "DON'T ATTEMPT THIS HIKE WITHOUT CRAMPONS" (which I've seen this year) then we take the information and use it as we will. This report is no different, if the guy sincerely believes the trails are so bad that people shouldn't be hiking on them then that's fine, he can post that (although he should do it more politely). On the flip side there are other people still hiking these trails and posting reports that say the trails are fine, such as yourself. If someone is planning a trip around reports then they should read them all and arrive at a consensus based on all the information.

I think Walrus' point is that it's good to see people have enough passion to care for the trails, even if they may go too far sometimes. The internet is a place where everyone can post whatever they want for better or for worse... if this gent was posting signs at the trailhead then this would be a different discussion. Also, remember that NO ONE TAKES PEOPLE WHO POST IN ALL CAPS SERIOUSLY. :lol:

Wed May 04, 2016 8:20 pm

My reports get a bit long sometimes?? That's putting it rather nicely! :D I prefer to think of them as thorough. :wink:

Wed May 04, 2016 8:36 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Granite Guy wrote:
What would we do if every trail adopter put out these same words of advice for their specific trails?

That's exactly what I want! Everyone should be an advocate for the things that are important to them!

Wed May 04, 2016 11:28 pm

So now I'm confused. Is everyone still supposed to avoid the trail until Memorial Day?? I can only imagine the damage 104 hours of trail crews at work must have done to this years near-permafrost ground conditions.

http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=26192

Wed May 18, 2016 1:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2