Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Some surprises from the AMC 4K awards this year. 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Re: Some surprises from the AMC 4K awards this year.
Granite Guy wrote:
Well, then suggest they make the redlining official, and give out a patch and an AMC WMG printed entirely in red! 8)

Hey, now THAT is an idea! :lol:

I think they should just cut straight to the heart of it and start offering a Grid award and patch too. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:25 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Wow, congrats Brian, that's a big deal!

Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:22 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Now how in the world did this happen? You on the 4000ftr committee? I must admit I'm a bit shocked and surprised. I bet there is quite a backstop to that. Congrats, I think? Plus, just why. :)

Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:54 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Grindboy wrote:

Actually, it's congrats Greg.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:03 am

Congrats Greg!

Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:55 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

New Hampshire wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:
Well, then suggest they make the redlining official, and give out a patch and an AMC WMG printed entirely in red! 8)

Hey, now THAT is an idea! :lol:

I think they should just cut straight to the heart of it and start offering a Grid award and patch too. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Why offer something that is already available? No one is forced to do the Grid, nor is anyone forced to do this new patch. I was merely made aware of it; i had nothing to do with its initial existence and while I have my reservations about it, i will wait and see how it goes by next year's ceremony to pass any kind of judgement.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:20 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

hiking lady wrote:
Now how in the world did this happen? You on the 4000ftr committee? I must admit I'm a bit shocked and surprised. I bet there is quite a backstop to that. Congrats, I think? Plus, just why. :)

You act like it is a total "WTF" kind of deal. Why is it unimaginable that I can be on the 4k committee? Because I am a bushwhacker (moreso now) and not a trail lover? Keith bushwhacks as does Steve. I have my days where trails are preferred to bushwhacks but i think its the thrill of the hunt that compels me to be in the woods more than on a trail.

Why? I was asked by Keith several months ago and how can one say no to this. I always joked to him about being an AMC person but I honestly considered it an honor to be with a bunch of dedicated, honest and hard working individuals. It makes no difference that i haven't hiked a 4K in awhile but because they have faith in what i can offer to the group. So he threw my name in the hat and they picked three of us to join, to add some fresh blood to the mix.

But why would I do it? Despite the razzing i get from joe and brian, I want to do more for the hiking community. It's silly to have so much difference between different groups of hikers and why not try and bring fresh ideas to make it more enjoyable? We give back to the trails and help the environment (hopefully) in the long run.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:32 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I think a lot of us are just curious why and how you would be become part of a committee and organization that, from what we know of you based on your posts and where you hike, doesn't seem like it would be of interest to you. From an outsiders perspective (those of us who only know you through your posts) it seems you enjoy bushwhacking, Vermont, high pointing, the north country, lower quit peaks etc etc etc. Basically, it's not that you're a bushwhacker, it's when you chose a trail it's almost never a 4K or even the Whites for that matter. Honestly, you and Brian (maybe Salty since he's back more frequently) would be the last two people on this forum I'd have bought to have any interest in the 4K thing. So it is actually kind of shocking, for me anyways.

That's all just my observations of course. Not criticism of any sort so please don't take it as such. I'm sure you, like most of us, enjoy hiking in general wherever it may be, and as you said it's a chance to give back to the greater hiking community. I think we are all in agreement that this is great for you and quite an honor in the world of New England hiking, so congrats!! :beer:

Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:25 pm

Granite Guy wrote:
Honestly, you and Brian (maybe Salty since he's back more frequently) would be the last two people on this forum I'd have bought to have any interest in the 4K thing.

Hey now, I rather enjoy certain 4K's. :D Don't forget I am also technically a member of the FOT48 steering committee. :beer:

Seriously though, while I (like you and many others) have their certain peaks they dislike (I mean c'mon, only a Griddiot can love Waumbek or Zealand and such :twisted: ) I will happily tromp the Bonds, Franconia Ridge, the Presis, Garfield and their like any day. But with as much as I get out it is nice to spread things around. A little redlining here, a bushwhack there, a Franconia Ridge traverse for fun. :wink:

I guess what I am saying, for me, is that there is a time and a place for everything, and everything in it's place. Discovering new places is just as fun as revisiting old favorites. 8)

Brian

Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:37 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Well u don't have to get all defensive about it. Even Joe was surprised geesh, u didn't jump down his throat. Just doesn't match up with your on line persona that's why I was surprised. Plus u present as not a big people person. I'm sure u will add a great deal to the committee. It wasn't meant as a WTF. It was meant as I'm shocked and surprised. That's all.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:43 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

JustJoe wrote:
Grindboy wrote:

Actually, it's congrats Greg.

Ummmm, maybe I was congratulating Brian on his friends new title?

Or maybe I just still can't keep them straight. Could be either one.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:31 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

hiking lady wrote:
Well u don't have to get all defensive about it. Even Joe was surprised geesh, u didn't jump down his throat. Just doesn't match up with your on line persona that's why I was surprised. Plus u present as not a big people person. I'm sure u will add a great deal to the committee. It wasn't meant as a WTF. It was meant as I'm shocked and surprised. That's all.

I am sorry if you think that was defensive but that was not my intention. Joe is razzing me; there is no surprise from him as he knew what was going on. His deal is more why would I be on the 4K committee when I don't hike a lot of 4ks or trailed hikes. I was asked, I accepted. As far as my online deal, I'm worse in real life :lol:

Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:14 am

Don't let Greg kid you, he is actually quite personable in real life. :D Kind of have to be in his line of work! I think the problem is that the digital medium can't always convey a person's attitude as well. Some people are emoticon whores (not saying who.... :D :lol: :twisted: :wink: :P ) and some could probably do with more of them. But trust me, he is a good dude....well, most of the time. :twisted:

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:40 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

HardcoreIdiot wrote:

I usually go by whatever someone calls me. Greg works fine though. Its a new beginning, not a name change. :P

I'm now referring to you as the Grand High Poobah of Uppah Buttcrack. Though the ending for the last one of those didn't turn out too well. :shock:

Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:29 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

As I've been absent from here for a while, I'm a bit late in adding my congratulations, but congrats none the less Greg! A bit surprising as has been said here, but a different voice could be a great thing too! The 3 of you should be great additions (I've heard Jean Sebastion Roux's name a few times here and there, but Summerset's is a name I am quite familiar with. She posts a lot of trip reports, and thru-hiked the AT last year.)

As for the 4 Season patch, Allison (who rarely posts here now) and I had a lengthy conversation with Eric Savage after last year's ceremony and he hinted that this was in the works, so I wasn't surprised to hear it happened. The addition of requiring 48 hours of trail maintenance is clearly an attempt to get more people to contribute to the trails instead of just hiking them over and over. Similar to what the Trailwright's 72 does by requiring 72 hours of trail work, but in this case it is a more high-profile (and higher traffic - yes there is a lot of overlap) list, and we all know the trails could use the help. Yes, many folks end up more or less doing the 4 season 48 these days, or close to it. Want to get a patch for that effort? Here you go, but please help us with those trails in return. I imagine there was a lively debate about this within the committee, but let's just see how it plays out, it could be a good thing in the long run.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Fri May 13, 2016 8:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next