Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 suggestions for winter hikes? 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Re: suggestions for winter hikes?
I'm looking to make the drive back up to NH soon. I live about 380 miles away so it's not always so easy.

Anyway, is Mt isolation worth doing? I'm not sure what to hike next. Any suggestions? I was also thinking maybe Madison.

Iv done Mt Adams, Jefferson, Washington and the Lafayette ridge this winter.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:58 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

kstr0h wrote:
I'm looking to make the drive back up to NH soon. I live about 380 miles away so it's not always so easy.

Anyway, is Mt isolation worth doing? I'm not sure what to hike next. Any suggestions? I was also thinking maybe Madison.

Well, let's put it this way, Isolation ain't bad, but probably not worth driving 380 miles for. :lol:

All kidding aside, it is a pretty long hike (about 15 miles under normal circumstances, though winter shortcuts can save some distance) for what I would call decent, but not "wow" views. If you are going to pick and choose (as opposed to doing them all as quickly as possible) I would say Garfield would be a better choice than Iso. About the same mileage (because the road is closed right now) but with better views in my opinion. If you can get a carspot and are up for the 22+ miles the Bonds are absolutely tough to beat as well!

Brian

Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:27 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

New Hampshire wrote:
kstr0h wrote:

Well, let's put it this way, Isolation ain't bad, but probably not worth driving 380 miles for. :lol:

All kidding aside, it is a pretty long hike (about 15 miles under normal circumstances, though winter shortcuts can save some distance) for what I would call decent, but not "wow" views. If you are going to pick and choose (as opposed to doing them all as quickly as possible) I would say Garfield would be a better choice than Iso. About the same mileage (because the road is closed right now) but with better views in my opinion. If you can get a carspot and are up for the 22+ miles the Bonds are absolutely tough to beat as well!

Brian

Could you give me more information on the bonds? Trailhead, is it a loop, etc. Thanks!

Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:21 pm

Unfortunately the Bonds are a one way trip. I suppose you could do an out and back of all of them, but I think the mileage would probably jump to close to 30 miles. You would start at the winter trail lot on 302 just down the road from Zealand Road and end at Lincoln Woods on the Kanc. You would have to walk Zealand Road because the gate is closed right now, which is what adds to the mileage. Under normal summer conditions (i.e. road open) the mileage is around 20 miles. So with the added roadwalk it is roughly 23 miles (if I remember correctly.) Elevation gain is under 4000 feet. I have heard some people use a hiker taxi service sometimes, when they have only one car, an option you might be able to look into, but which I have no info on (perhaps someone else here does?)

But the important question is, is it worth it? I think most here would say, without hesitation, yes. 8)

Brian

Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:47 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

See if this helps you

http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/bondrts.html

Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:43 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Compared to what you've done there are very few spectacular NH 4Ks left if that's what you are after. Madison and the Bonds top the list as far as complete hikes go IMO, maybe some sort of a Monroe/Eisenhower trip too. There are spectacular singular viewpoints like Garfield, South Twin, Carrigain, Liberty, South Kinsman, Moriah and Moosilauke if bald grassy flat summits are your thing...but sometimes the hike getting there (like Garfield) sucks and I wouldn't drive 400 miles for most of them. Unless you're doing all the NH AMC48 you can find much much better hikes than most of the other mountains on that list. The Baldfaces for example or a Chocorua/Carter Ledge loop. Don't know where you're coming from but maybe look at some of the Adirondacks like Marcy, HaBaSa and Algonquin, or Maine 4Ks too like the Bigelows or Abraham. Even Vermonts Mansfield and Camels Hump. If you are after the NH 4000 footers specifically great, but if not look at other options. Driving 6-8 hours to hike some of our wooded humps doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun to me personally. Then again depending on the starting point many of those others could be closer to 500 mile trips too.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:33 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Granite Guy wrote:
Compared to what you've done there are very few spectacular NH 4Ks left if that's what you are after. Madison and the Bonds top the list as far as complete hikes go IMO, maybe some sort of a Monroe/Eisenhower trip too. There are spectacular singular viewpoints like Garfield, South Twin, Carrigain, Liberty, South Kinsman, Moriah and Moosilauke if bald grassy flat summits are your thing...but sometimes the hike getting there (like Garfield) sucks and I wouldn't drive 400 miles for most of them. Unless you're doing all the NH AMC48 you can find much much better hikes than most of the other mountains on that list. The Baldfaces for example or a Chocorua/Carter Ledge loop. Don't know where you're coming from but maybe look at some of the Adirondacks like Marcy, HaBaSa and Algonquin, or Maine 4Ks too like the Bigelows or Abraham. Even Vermonts Mansfield and Camels Hump. If you are after the NH 4000 footers specifically great, but if not look at other options. Driving 6-8 hours to hike some of our wooded humps doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun to me personally. Then again depending on the starting point many of those others could be closer to 500 mile trips too.

I live on long island. Vermont, ADK and the white mountains are a very similar distance away, give or take 50 miles. I really like the white mountains and did all of my first winter hiking there this winter. I'm very interested in bonds but I only have one car and would be doing the hike solo. Since its not a loop, that's an issue. I'm open to really any mountain worth My time in the area, AMC 48 or not. I'm also looking at Madison, even though I was on Jefferson and Adams very recently.

Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:14 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

kstr0h: If you plan to go to VT, keep in mind that the high elevation trails (think Mansfield, Camel's Hump, ect.) are closed for mud season for the time being. Not sure when they re-open, but historically they did so shortly before Memorial Day weekend.

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:05 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

If you know when you are hiking the Bonds put out an open call for someone to do it with you or help spot a car. If you can't do that it's a long day but doable as an out and back. Good luck!

Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:30 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Mount Washington is awesome place https://www.mountwashington.org/experience-the-weather/higher-summit-forecast.aspx

Tue May 10, 2016 6:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2