Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Forget the bucket list... let's just do it 
Master Mountaineer

Re: Forget the bucket list... let's just do it
Flash wrote:
We spent a week in Glacier this summer and it was amazing. We scored a permit for hole-in-the-walland it was pretty epic. We started on the east side at goat haunt and spent two days getting to hole-in-the-wall. We were in no rush with gorgeous mountain lakes to enjoy on the way. Check their website about permits. I recently got an email saying they had updated the reservation system ( thank God b/c I had to fax everything and then cross my fingers and got turned down on everything I applied for) and I think it said they were opening up the reservations soon. We arrived at Glacier with no permits in hand but we got to the backcountry office about an hour before they opened and worked out an awesome itinerary. We heard about a lot of bear activity over at bowman but we didn't see any. Goon luck!

Thanks Flash. I considered that trip as well. How did you arrange transportation? I assume you didn't do out and back, did you?

Who needs actions when you got words?

Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:12 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

iagreewithjamie wrote:

Thanks Flash. I considered that trip as well. How did you arrange transportation? I assume you didn't do out and back, did you?

It was an out and back. Nearly impossible to arrange transportation unless you have another group going in the opposite direction. Most people we met were doing out and backs unless they lived in the area and had someone that could pick them up. I researched it a lot and came up empty. Not to mention the Going to the Sun road was closed due to wildfires when I was there so we had to drive all the way around as opposed to through the park. How are you arranging transportation?
A couple of thoughts came to mind after I replied. Check the backcountry guide to Glacier very carefully. Some campsites are closed (Hole-in the Wall being one) in early summer due to water and bear activity. HIW doesn't usually open until August. Some campsites only allow you to stay one night (HIW being one). We got lucky last year with the dry winter and it opened up early. The Two Medicine area is supposed to be pretty spectacular. That was going to be our back up plan. And you should have a backup plan even if you get a permit, b/c they can and will close trails and campsites if there is bear activity. A couple of other thoughts...Several people asked us if we were going to climb Boulder Peak located off Boulder Pass. We wish we had planned it, but we didn't and it wasn't in our plan and we couldn't make it work with the itinerary we had last minute. Just means I'll have to go back, which I want to and hike from Kintla Lake up through Boulder Pass. The Many Glacier area is beautiful, but not for backpacking and definitely touristy. The link below is for a blog from a guy that has hiked all the trails in Glacier. I found his backpacking videos extremely helpful when planning my trip.
https://www.hike734.com/

Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:55 am
Master Mountaineer

Flash wrote:
iagreewithjamie wrote:

Agreed. Trip reports are nice, but his videos really give you a good picture of what you're getting into.

I was thinking of Kintla to Bowman, spending a night at Bowman. Although being close to the end, my thought was that staying at Bowman would let you pack up early and get out to the road to catch a hitch from people going to Kintla for the day. Worse case, you got 20 miles of hiking down a dirt road. I've also toyed with two rental cars - not quite sure on that yet.

I was just checking out Two Medicine as a backup. I'd love to visit Hole, which is why we're shooting for the week of Aug 8. Fortunately, the place is so big, not getting my first choice isn't going to make me sad one bit.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:26 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

You are probably on top of it, but I wanted to pass along this excerpt from an email I got earlier this week. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

WEST GLACIER, MT. – The advance reservation system for backcountry camping in Glacier National Park is being upgraded and changed for 2016. The new online application and payment system will replace the advance reservation lottery system that has been in place since 2003. The new system will offer earlier reservation submittal dates, more choices to customize itineraries, and a first-come, first-served reservation system.

The new online system is anticipated to go live on March 15, 8 a.m. MST for groups of 1-8 campers. This is one month earlier than the previous system.

Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:47 pm
Master Mountaineer

Flash wrote:
You are probably on top of it, but I wanted to pass along this excerpt from an email I got earlier this week. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

WEST GLACIER, MT. – The advance reservation system for backcountry camping in Glacier National Park is being upgraded and changed for 2016. The new online application and payment system will replace the advance reservation lottery system that has been in place since 2003. The new system will offer earlier reservation submittal dates, more choices to customize itineraries, and a first-come, first-served reservation system.

I did see that. I'm hoping many people don't notice the newer earlier submission date. My biggest worry is being one of the people who crash the site on March 8. Fortunately, I've been told I can submit an "earliest in, latest out" date range, which increase my chances of getting the route I want.

I also joined the Glacier chat room. Many MANY people echoed what you said, in that if I didn't know someone or know of another group in advance, it's best just to out-and-back it. Which is fine with me... I have to walk past Hole In the Wall and Boulder Pass TWICE? Sure... sign me up. Not to mention, an extra night at Kintla would be a welcome opportunity to try catching and cooking my own dinner.

I can't begin to describe how excited I am for this trip. I was out in the glory for 9 miles yesterday, but all I could think about was how each step is in preparation for Glacier.

Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:35 am
Master Mountaineer

I am the happy recipient of an official Glacier National Park backcountry permit!!!

They had a new system this year where it was first-come, first-served beginning March 15 at 10:00am sharp. I had my form preloaded, and the sheer amount of traffic on the site provided about 4 minutes of delay for my submission.

Apparently, I was fast enough as I got an e-mail confirming my itinerary today.
Totally stoked to go here:

Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:31 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

iagreewithjamie wrote:
I am the happy recipient of an official Glacier National Park backcountry permit!!!

They had a new system this year where it was first-come, first-served beginning March 15 at 10:00am sharp. I had my form preloaded, and the sheer amount of traffic on the site provided about 4 minutes of delay for my submission.

Apparently, I was fast enough as I got an e-mail confirming my itinerary today.
Totally stoked to go here:

Now THAT is a swimming hole! Congratulations and good luck on your journey!

Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:43 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

For some reason I didn't realize Glacier was in Hawaii. Congrats on the permit and of course don't forget to make us all jealous with a report!

Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:44 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Looks amazing. My wife and I had a Glacier plan a few years ago but had to cancel. Jealous! I'm sure you'll have an amazing time.

Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3