Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 What's on tap for 2016? 
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: What's on tap for 2016?
Kathy wrote:
thegibba wrote:
Kathy wrote:

That's ok. See, the thing is, I really don't remember what he looks like so he and I could pass on the trail and we'd never know it. I think he's secretly doing the same trails I am, incognito. :wink:

Bandanna, L.L. Bean pack, Blueish Keen boots and obviously Cannon camera in hand. Im not sure you will see him though, Hes already done those trails.

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:44 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

thegibba wrote:
Kathy wrote:

That's ok. See, the thing is, I really don't remember what he looks like so he and I could pass on the trail and we'd never know it. I think he's secretly doing the same trails I am, incognito. :wink:

Bandanna, L.L. Bean pack, Blueish Keen boots and obviously Cannon camera in hand. Im not sure you will see him though, Hes already done those trails.

You'd know if you passed me. I'd be the guy mumbling and cussing myself out for re-hiking a 4K again with so many other splendid options around. :wink: FWIW I have been told by more than a couple people that for better or worse I resemble Survivorman. How accurate that is I can't say, but some seem to think so.

Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:12 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
thegibba wrote:
Kathy wrote:

You'd know if you passed me. I'd be the guy mumbling and cussing myself out for re-hiking a 4K again with so many other splendid options around. :wink: FWIW I have been told by more than a couple people that for better or worse I resemble Survivorman. How accurate that is I can't say, but some seem to think so.

Id say so :mrgreen:

Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:13 am

Yikes. Maybe if I lost a few lbs and had more bone than fat on my face. Looks like I could stand to be in a couple starvation survival situations myself. Filling my face today and for the next month isn't going to help that cause however. :roll:

Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:26 am
Sovereign Woodsman

thegibba wrote:

HA HA. G2 just get yourself an old school brown bandanna. You'll be a shoe-in.

Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:39 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Goo funny! :lol:

Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:59 am

Hmmm...well maybe a little bit. Everyone supposedly has a doppelganger right? :D Here's a scruffier picture of me after a weekend playing Survivorman. Closer, but not identical twins by any means, at least I don't think.

Now, back to 2016. How do I get paid well to go live in the backcountry for a week at a time like him?!

Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:44 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Complete the New England Trail
Complete the M-M Trail
Complete the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway
Run two 100 mile ultras
Finish a 3rd round of P90X3
Have a blast whenever outdoors!

Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:09 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

backpackingengineer wrote:
Complete the New England Trail
Complete the M-M Trail
Complete the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway
Run two 100 mile ultras
Finish a 3rd round of P90X3
Have a blast whenever outdoors!

Looks like you've got your hands (feet?) full for 2016 :wink: !

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:32 pm

OK I think it's safe to say I'm done with 2015. Pretty good year for me on the trails. No real injuries to speak of and worked in 63 Hikes totaling 404.7 miles. Probably a record for me since having kids.

2015 to do list...

Granite Guy wrote:
-See new territory/Not hike any of the same trails as this year unless it's my local stuff Did quite well with this one
-A winter Bonds trip Fail
-Get the family out for some snowshoe trips again Check
-Great Gulf trail Check
-The Traveler loop in Baxter Nope
-More redlining in Acadia as well as another winter trip there and visit Isle Au Haut if I can get a camping permit in their lottery Plenty of Acadia trails but none in winter and no island
-Hike Old Rag Didn't get to Old Rag because of freak snowstorm but hikes Stony Man and Hawksbill so I'll call it a wash :D
-Hike in the Berkshires Fail
-Hike some more of the Belknaps not on the list of 12 Check
-Hike more of the Ossipees Check
-36 nights out under the stars either backpacking or car camping Fail. Only got 25 or so bag nights by my count.

Didn't do terrible with it but I'll bump all the failures up to the 2016 list so...

Old stuff
-Winter Bonds Traverse
-Berkshiers
-Traveller Loop
-Winter trip to Acadia and Isle Au Haut in summer

New Stuff
-Again I'd like to hike without focusing on any real lists other than the 46ers. Would like to get another dozen or so of those at least.
-Not hike any trails I did this year except local or unavoidable stuff
-Get the family out for some snowshoe trips and a big one or two with my wife
-More full moon hikes and some new moon ones too
-32 Bag Nights
-Finish Redlining Chocorua
-Trip to hike in the Smokies
-Some hiking in the Mahoosucs

Seems manageable to me. Some of it surely will get bumped again next year but hopefully not the same things that did this year.

Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:45 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

2015 will go down as a great year on the trails for me. I definitely got out more than in 2014, and although I didn't reach all my "goals" or targeted hikes, I surpassed many and just generally had more time and more longer/full days out. Specific highlights included:

Clay/Washington with Granite Guy and Gibba in March for W4k #2. Great day and memorable on several levels.

A particularly perfect/spectacular day on the very familiar Mt Major, also in March. It doesn't sound like it should be a year highlight, but it was.

Monadnock via Pumpelly Ridge in May.

Roger's Ledge and Unknown Pond also in May.

A great day in all new territory looping over the Bigelows/Horns in Maine in June.

Frustration and disappointment with a long drive and hike up Mansfield resulting in a viewless sock suddenly clearing off to tremendous views on Mansfield, and a great "dessert hike" to Stowe Pinnacle after, also in June.

Gorham Mtn with my family, and then Beehive Trail and on to Champlain in Acadia in July.

Long-awaited trip up Adams via King Ravine, also in July.

Tying up the loose end of Nancy -- most of you have been, and it's just a great hike for so many reasons, August.

Goose Eye and Carlo via the Wright Trail -- wholly recommended -- still in August.

Flags on the 48 with many of you, some friends old and new, turning from virtual to actual humans, of course to W Bond, September.

A tremendous route that some of you turned me on to in the past, finally the "big" Franconia Ridge loop up Flume Slide, all the way over to Lafayette, and down Greanleaf to a bike spot. Perfect! Also September.

A brilliant day looping up through the Gunia/Black Pond Trails to the upper Algonquin Trail to the summit of Sandwich Dome, and all the way down Algonquin to a bike spot (with a borrowed truck!), November.

Without going back to all the numbers/lists (I don't have the miles etc. tallied anyway), those were the best/most memorable days.

2016 is a mystery, but right now it looks like I'll likely have much less time for the trails. This is of course very disappointing. So as much as I'd like to put together another list of goals, I think that I'm going to have to just say -- Katahdin. I'm past time, and if it's the only thing I do this year it might have to be enough. I guess there's more to life than hiking. . . and I'm optimistic I'll still be able to find some time here and there. We'll see! If I have some time, I could easily be finishing up about 4 more lists in 16 or 17, but it might not be in the cards.

Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:59 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
Hmmm...well maybe a little bit. Everyone supposedly has a doppelganger right? :D Here's a scruffier picture of me after a weekend playing Survivorman. Closer, but not identical twins by any means, at least I don't think.

Now, back to 2016. How do I get paid well to go live in the backcountry for a week at a time like him?!

That's too funny. Maybe you could get a job as a stunt double. :P

Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2