Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Let's Play a Game 
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Let's Play a Game
hiker0200 wrote:
#8: PNVC?

Negative.

Different notch.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:34 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

#7 (Drum roll please) :D The Lake Pic looks like Ammonoosuc Lake looking at Jackson and Willard on the right. But what's a two mile loop around there??

Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:27 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Ah, 7 is from the Red Bench! Had no clue before the bread crumb trail though.

(Look Mom, I posted!)

Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:32 pm

Grindboy wrote:
Ah, 7 is from the Red Bench! Had no clue before the bread crumb trail though.

(Look Mom, I posted!)

Speaking of "I'm Alive"!!

Figured after FOT48 you didn't want anything to do with us since we weren't Sooners fans. :wink:

Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:45 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
#7 (Drum roll please) :D The Lake Pic looks like Ammonoosuc Lake looking at Jackson and Willard on the right. But what's a two mile loop around there??

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Well, OK, Grindboy actually named the place. You each get half a point :P

I was hoping someone would figure out what the 2 peaks behind the lake were! That, and I figured that a number of folks on here might have done it before. Seems that most here are like me and normally did something other than walk behind the Highland Center for 40 minutes.

This could have given it away ;)

This was a further-back zoom of the initial picture that might have helped:

Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:43 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
Speaking of "I'm Alive"!!

Figured after FOT48 you didn't want anything to do with us since we weren't Sooners fans. :wink:

Naw, not at all, I basically don't expect anybody up here to be even conversant in college football. Although I'll say two things, since it's been brought up:

1) Boomer Sooner!!! (I know, it's a stupid cheer that doesn't even rhyme, but still it's been a pretty amazing year to be an OU fan, and it's tragic that most of this entire region misses out on the most dramatic and compelling sporting culture in the country.)

2) I also remember at least a couple guys being surprisingly conversant in college football. But along with that, it would make sense if nobody was paying attention to the season, because I remember one among us declaring with God-like certainty that "It doesn't matter, nobody's going to beat Ohio State." So with all the drama of the season drained away, perhaps we just all went hiking instead! (friendly winky face)

(Also, I fully recognize this is entirely off-topic. But people just aren't nice on college football message boards. Not nice at all!)

Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:38 am

Hey hey hey. Nobody but Ohio State could beat Ohio State! The players are revolting! Jumping ship they are. Couldn't happen to a nicer program either if you ask me. Other than the Florida State Criminoles they're the bottom of the barrel as far as I'm concerned.

With such sucessful and entrenched pro teams around here college definitely takes a back seat. As for the college football message boards, I think, sports boards in general are about as nasty as it gets. Not like our friendly little hiking forum. Imagine if we all were assigned one mountain and had to defend it and love it above all other and argue why mine is better then yours. Just discussing the idea of the Grid gets ugly enough! :D

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:46 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Grindboy wrote:
2) I also remember at least a couple guys being surprisingly conversant in college football. But along with that, it would make sense if nobody was paying attention to the season, because I remember one among us declaring with God-like certainty that "It doesn't matter, nobody's going to beat Ohio State." So with all the drama of the season drained away, perhaps we just all went hiking instead! (friendly winky face)

I know a couple guys that went to MSU and was talking to one of them Saturday during the game. Needless to say he was pleased with the outcome. Ohio State didn't show up for that game. 300 to 130 yards? Yea, that's not going to do. Then Notre Dame almost coughed it up to BC. That would have been amusing :)

Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:15 pm

madmattd wrote:
Grindboy wrote:

I know a couple guys that went to MSU and was talking to one of them Saturday during the game. Needless to say he was pleased with the outcome. Ohio State didn't show up for that game. 300 to 130 yards? Yea, that's not going to do. Then Notre Dame almost coughed it up to BC. That would have been amusing :)

If BC had ANY offense what so ever this year they could have won that game. They have been pitifully anemic all season on that side of the ball. My friends paid 500 bucks a piece to go to the game. I told him at least he got to see what may be the sloppiest football game in history. That was ugly. Did they grease up the balls or something?!

Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:41 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
My friends paid 500 bucks a piece to go to the game. I told him at least he got to see what may be the sloppiest football game in history. That was ugly. Did they grease up the balls or something?!

And it wasn't even raining/snowing out!

Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:39 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I'm definitely anti-Ohio State (or at least anti-Urban Meyer), and yes pretty anti-Florida State too -- although right now the single largest phlem-ball of loathing is directed at Baylor, who's clearly the dirtiest program in the B12 and maybe the nation. That win in Waco last weekend felt exceptionally excellent!

And dang it BC, if they could have taken down the Dome I would have become a fan right then and there. OU fans are awfully concerned that the last playoff spot could come down to OU and the golden dome, and we're all a little wary of how that might turn out. Both teams big games this weekend, we'll see what happens. But we were at least BIG Golden Eagle fans for one afternoon.

FWIW, it's not even the bickering between teams on other boards that gets me, it's within the fan bases themselves, and it's every school. People are just awful on the internet. I know it's been discussed before, but dang. . . people just don't even try to keep it together. BUT since you've brought it up -- I WILL defend the honor of mighty Mt Passaconaway! It's always disrespected in the polls! (And there, now this is a hiking post again and completely on-topic-ish.)

Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:41 pm

Big games for both the Sooners and Irish. Good luck with that. They really should expand it to 8 teams, but nobody is going to beat Ohio Sate this year anyhow... :wink:

I will take a small school team, the mighty Chocorua Cheifs! :D They play much bigger than their size would lead you to believe. Sure they might turn into the Rainbow Warriors when they meet the Katahdin's and Washington's in a bowl game, but they'll give the much bigger Waumbek's and Hale's of the world a pretty good thumping every time!

Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2