Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Summit Canisters 
Sovereign Woodsman

Summit Canisters
Just talking the other day.... If we ever honed our navigational skills to my satisfaction, we'd like to visit the peaks with canisters. In fact, last summer (after going up that awful slide) Prema was looking around Whitewall, asking me if there was one there(sorry, no time to look, we have to figure our way down :oops: ). It was fun reading the log in the Cabot Cabin and adding our names. It was fun looking at and adding to the journal the Boulder Loop maintainer provided. Someday maybe we can leave our mark in some canisters.

I was curious if there was a list of peaks with them. There were a lot of interesting reads and photos I came across. And of course the trail reports here and on other sites. The one thing I was concerned with was a story from Nancy and Pat in their book, "It's not About the Hike." They had a canister that was a bit high up, and Pat is not short. I'd be pissed if we got up there and couldn't reach the thing, or worse reached it just enough to touch but not open. Although I would probably get creative with my pack as a step stool, which I did to get up White Face.

So... any fun (or maybe NOT so fun) stories about canisters? Anyone know the official count of how many there are?

Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:25 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Summit Canisters
I thought all the trail-less 3000 footers had them, but then some people remove them, or the forest service will in the wilderness ( how do I get that job?! ) but I don't know for sure.

Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:19 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Beckie and Prema wrote:
Just talking the other day.... If we ever honed our navigational skills to my satisfaction, we'd like to visit the peaks with canisters. In fact, last summer (after going up that awful slide) Prema was looking around Whitewall, asking me if there was one there(sorry, no time to look, we have to figure our way down :oops: ). It was fun reading the log in the Cabot Cabin and adding our names. It was fun looking at and adding to the journal the Boulder Loop maintainer provided. Someday maybe we can leave our mark in some canisters.

I was curious if there was a list of peaks with them. There were a lot of interesting reads and photos I came across. And of course the trail reports here and on other sites. The one thing I was concerned with was a story from Nancy and Pat in their book, "It's not About the Hike." They had a canister that was a bit high up, and Pat is not short. I'd be pissed if we got up there and couldn't reach the thing, or worse reached it just enough to touch but not open. Although I would probably get creative with my pack as a step stool, which I did to get up White Face.

So... any fun (or maybe NOT so fun) stories about canisters? Anyone know the official count of how many there are?

Like GG said, there is no real way to say how many canisters there are on the new peaks. The only way to find out for sure is to do the peaks on the NH200 list, or the trailwrights list. I could look at a map later and take a wild guess at how many have canisters. If i had to guess, its probably at least 125 of them.

Greg

Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:20 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Geocaching might be a good way to hone your navigation skills while still providing a register to read and sign into. I haven't gotten much into geocaching myself but you can probably stop into Mountain Wanderer and talk to Steve Smith, I think he's gotten into it lately. The summit canisters are essentially geocaches at the top of the mountain.

Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:15 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

The problem is, like has been mentioned, is these things do sometimes come and go. Jars/pill bottles can be broken, canisters replaced or new ones put up, and in some case they are there but are incredibly hard to find. Greg and I have had a couple unfound bottles we knew probably been there but that we just couldn't find. In one case Greg and I found a pill bottle that had been sitting on a peak, literally several yards off of a trail, for over 10 years with only one sign-in.

So bottom line....sorry it isn't as easy as saying "this one has one", though you are probably assured them on the uber popular stuff like the NEHH and so on.

Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:41 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Thanks!

Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:41 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Mount Redington in Maine has a canister. Only 4K in New England I've been to that has one. Kind of odd though, since the height on the canister says "3984".

Also, the true summit of Hall Mountain in Candia had a canister when I went there. A bit of a challenge to find, since it's off the trail 8)

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:12 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

hiker0200 wrote:
Mount Redington in Maine has a canister. Only 4K in New England I've been to that has one. Kind of odd though, since the height on the canister says "3984".

The only one that does in fact. The 3984' elevation is from when it was thought to be that height, and thus it was on the NEHH instead. I seem to recall the date on the bottom of the canister being from '79 or thereabouts. A re-survey 20-30 years ago found Redington was a 4000-footer.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:21 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Not really a fun story, but the jar on South Percy is so stuffed with old registers that you can barely get them out or back in. Someone needs to clean out and save the old ones and place a new register in there.

Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:43 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Dingo wrote:
Not really a fun story, but the jar on South Percy is so stuffed with old registers that you can barely get them out or back in. Someone needs to clean out and save the old ones and place a new register in there.

Guess mine and Chuck/Cheryl's entries are pretty much gone... :cry:

The jar on S. Percy was in sad shape when I was there, though. Almost gave up on signing the register because it was a pain in the butt to get to it!

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]