Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 UPDATE: Geraldine Largay 
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

UPDATE: Geraldine Largay
http://appalachiantrail.com/20151016/re ... m=facebook

Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:01 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: UPDATE: Geraldine Largay
Sounds like a sad ending. Should be an interesting press conference, especially considering foul play is not suspected. Strange coincidence that as this story ends another appears to be just beginning in NH.

Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:55 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Yeah wasn't it the one that went missing 5 days ago on Garfield Trail?

Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:07 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

At least they found Geraldines remains. It took over 2 years, but her family can now have closure.

Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:10 pm

MetalQueen wrote:
Yeah wasn't it the one that went missing 5 days ago on Garfield Trail?

All I have heard is she said the Garfield trail was a possibility or possibly the bonds but then they found her car in Bethlehem. Joey posted a link on it.

Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:18 pm
Master Mountaineer

Keyz56 wrote:
At least they found Geraldines remains. It took over 2 years, but her family can now have closure.

I agree with this 100%.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:13 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

They have also found the woman lost in the Whites. Unfortunately, she was found in the Gale River believed to be a victim of an ill advised river crossing. http://www.wmur.com/news/body-found-during-search-for-missing-hiker/35880156

Geraldine Largay was found in an area off trail from the AT, found by a contractor working for the US Naval facility in the area. The area where she was found is far from any roads, but it is crisscrossed by many different dirt roads, old rr grades and skid roads. I was in the same area this past winter on my snow machine and I can really see how a person on foot, who had lost the AT, could become quite confused. It is a big area and it is really difficult to cover much ground on foot.

Press releases on facebook?? what is the world coming to?
[urlhttps://www.facebook.com/mainefishwildlife/posts/10153675512983609][/url]

At this point, neither woman has been positively identified, but in both cases, authorities are confident in their tentative id's.

Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:46 pm

Lost Dad wrote:
The area where she was found is far from any roads, but it is crisscrossed by many different dirt roads, old rr grades and skid roads. I was in the same area this past winter on my snow machine

Just curious, they let you ride a snow machine in the US Naval Survial School land? It's all marked restricted access on my maps. Do you need permission?

Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:47 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Glad the family can have some closure. Gotta say, when I did Redington last spring, it was a bit sketchy walking down Caribou Valley Rd. knowing that I could very well have passed by her remains without even knowing it...

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:37 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I know I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I read this, and I am not her family.

So sad.

Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:46 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

GG- Regarding the snowmobiling; we rode up the CVR from the Rt 27 side to "see what we could see" We ended up going to the right around the pond and crossing through the height of land at about 3000'. We had good tracks to follow, so we kept on going down, down, down. That area off the backside of Caribou Pond is a heavily travelled backcountry snowmobiling area (much to my surprise) and full of different trail options as we headed down to the bottom of the valley. What happened from there was the we followed the old rr grade to the west towards Dallas. Looking carefully through maps today, it seems at though a lot of that trip was running right near the border of the Navy Facility, but at no time did we see any hint of the Naval facility. I was well aware that we were headed right into an area where we were subject to being turned around (for many possible reasons) but we were able to keep on going and we finally connected to the trails that brought us back into Rangeley. No doubt that we crossed the AT 1 or 2 times going through that area and we rode right past Redington Pond

Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:24 pm

Pretty interesting stuff Lost Dad. I remember seeing it on the maps when hiking up there and figured it would have a huge fence around it like the hunting preserve at Croydon, at the very least signs everywhere warning not to enter under penalty of having armed guards show up and detain you.

Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:36 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

What a sad ending, at lest her husband has closure.tragic about the 64 yr old as well, drowning, not my idea of a good way to go.

Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:14 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

http://chrisbusby.bangordailynews.com/2 ... om-closed/

Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:37 pm

The last paragraph in that article seems to sum it up nicely. If the medical examiner finds no evidence of foul play it doesn't really matter where she was found. It's curious how and why she got there, but no foul play is no foul play, unless you think the medical examiner is in on a conspiracy too of course. I read heavy rains may have made the water crossings impossible and she may have been trying to get around them and got lost or hurt, but If she was as experienced in the wilderness as they make her out to be I'd think that scenario more likely than the military whacking her for findin out about their "secret" faculties and programs and just leaving the body behind. Its a sad ending but I say let her rest in peace and her family have closure, not become some piece of anti-government/military conspiracy propaganda. But maybe that's just me.

As for this guy mentioning the military facility. I know it's there. I knew it was there when I e been hiking there. I know what they do there, at least the survival training aspect of it. Everyone who's looked at a map of the place also should know it's there. It's marked off plain as day for what it is and as restricted access. There's no secret to it being there. I'm missing the point of the article honestly.

Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next