Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Mt. W 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Mt. W
thegibba wrote:
Hey grindboy. What is this "scudders" book you mentioned? I like reading up on some history.

The book is not really about history. Obviously there is some as GB pointed out. Had to take a look at mine after that. It's more about elevations, and some talk about trails but it's mostly about the views from different peaks. Starts with Pack Monadnock in the south and ends with Mont Megantic in QC.

http://www.mountainwanderer.com/proddet ... prod=NHH15

Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:41 am
Sovereign Woodsman

...and a formula for predicting excellent visibility. Sounds intriguing.

Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:57 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Grindboy - thank you for providing insight into some prickly questions.

Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:49 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Right, it's really about peak identification, designed for anybody who looks and wonders "what's that one?" Which is/has been me, a LOT. It's pretty good, includes plenty of 4k's etc but also a range of smaller peaks including two that I find myself at very often, Major and Blue Job. Also a smattering of peaks from VT, ME, and QC. It doesn't always answer all of my questions, but it's pretty good.

The author is a meteorologist and so yes, he has a formula for predicting good visibility. I too had my attention super piqued by that, but it's a little more complicated than I was hoping. Anybody who really wanted to could work through it, but in my experience just looking for "high pressure" means pretty clear and "low pressure" probably means hazy is pretty helpful and much more simple.

Still, it IS absolutely a unique and interesting thing, and if it sounds interesting to you it probably will be. Actually if you like, I can try to remember to bring it along next Saturday.

hophiker, what can one say? This particular section of the book was WAY unexpected and hard to forget.

Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:32 am
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

"We could see the Franconia mountains, the entire White Mountain range as far as to the Notch, the successive peaks Jefferson Monroe and others, and the vast sweep from top to bottom of their sides, immense ridges, covered with woods and torn with slides, extending from each summit down to the world below. Mount Adams was on our right—the others on the left. We are sorry they bear these presidential names. Mount Washington is well enough, though he was nothing but a statesman, a hero, and a slaveholder. Mount Adams is something—and connecting it with John Quincy, carries something of moral sublimity. But who can sublimate at the name of Monroe? We shall have a Mount Jackson, and a Mount Van Buren next, and a Mount Tyler!. . .We wish somebody had named the White Hills besides our president-worshippers. It belittles them mightily to associate them with that petty office."
-Nathaniel Peabody Rogers, 1841

Valiant attempts to change Kearsage N. to "Pequaket" (though I prefer Carrigain's Anglicization) have mostly failed.

And I haven't ever heard anyone protest the renaming of Rogers Ledge.

In maybe a week I heard people refer to both Mt. Reagan and Mt. Clinton. Never heard anyone say Truman though.

Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:09 am
Sovereign Woodsman

What's interesting is that although Jackson is in the Presidential Range, it was named after someone other than Old Hickory (I forget who and I just got home from the very far away Evans Notch area so I leave it to anyone who's interested to search :D ). Clinton was Clinton way before either of the Clintons were born. Mt. Lincoln and the town are for someone before Mr. Lincoln was even the Illinois senator.

The Dry River is not only never dry, but drownings have been known to happen there. So much fun with White Mountain names!

Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:20 pm

Jackson was a NH State Geologist IIRC. Lincoln the town was named for someone other than Honest Abe, but the mountain was actually renamed to honor him.

Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:36 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Clinton was named after the early 1800s governor of New York, Dewitt Clinton. He who was the big push behind the Erie Canal. Why NH named a mountain after a NY governor, well, beats me.

From the link Joe posted earlier in this thread:
Other presidents—both great and not so great—have been honored with mountain names elsewhere in the Whites. They are: Abraham Lincoln, James Garfield (who was honored shortly after—and presumably because of—his assassination), Grover Cleveland (he summered nearby), and Calvin Coolidge (perhaps because, as a native Vermonter, he was a New Englander). Some people might think Mount Jackson should be added to the list, but that summit is named not for Andrew, the sixth president, but for Charles Thomas Jackson, a New Hampshire state geologist who conducted research in the Presidentials.

So like GraniteGuy said, Jackson was a state geologist, Mt. Lincoln is named after the president, and Mt. Garfield was too (which I never thought about until reading that story).

But seriously, it's bugging me. Why the heck did NH name a fairly major mountain after a NY governor? I'm from NY and it still doesn't make sense to me!

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:26 am

madmattd wrote:

But seriously, it's bugging me. Why the heck did NH name a fairly major mountain after a NY governor? I'm from NY and it still doesn't make sense to me!

No worries, at least NH took care of the mountains name. Mount Pierce :wink:

Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:55 am

madmattd wrote:
Clinton was named after the early 1800s governor of New York, Dewitt Clinton. He who was the big push behind the Erie Canal. Why NH named a mountain after a NY governor, well, beats me.

From the link Joe posted earlier in this thread:
Other presidents—both great and not so great—have been honored with mountain names elsewhere in the Whites. They are: Abraham Lincoln, James Garfield (who was honored shortly after—and presumably because of—his assassination), Grover Cleveland (he summered nearby), and Calvin Coolidge (perhaps because, as a native Vermonter, he was a New Englander). Some people might think Mount Jackson should be added to the list, but that summit is named not for Andrew, the sixth president, but for Charles Thomas Jackson, a New Hampshire state geologist who conducted research in the Presidentials.

So like GraniteGuy said, Jackson was a state geologist, Mt. Lincoln is named after the president, and Mt. Garfield was too (which I never thought about until reading that story).

Just a guess it when they went up and re-named those peaks they were naming them after the handful of presidents they actually had and had more peaks to go after that so maybe important statesmen they thought would one day be one? Franklin got one from them (I think they named it) and Clinton had just barely lost a close election to Madison a few years before. Maybe they thought he'd get 'em next time. His uncle was one of the founding fathers so he was a pretty big deal in his day I guess. Or maybe they were just buddies with him! :D Strictly guessing on my part.

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:05 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Then you have mt. Clay which was named after a senator. Then NH went and renamed it to Reagan a few years back. The US government doesn't recognize this. So its kinda clay kinda Reagan.

Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2