Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Article on Overuse of AT 
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Article on Overuse of AT
On all these summer holidays I stay away from I-93. I get my hiking done before the maniacs hit the road. Then if I need a hiking fix, I just go to Dunbarton because I don't have to go near the Interstate..

Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:57 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

wp_hiker2 wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:
If you don't want to see the over use and trails over run with people go somewhere other than a certain 48 mountains in NH ... Why people feel the need to keep going back to the same places and overusing and loving them to death when there is SO much other great hiking in the northeast is beyond me.

What's ironic about this, wasn't the whole idea of the 48 to ease the overuse on Washington, Lafayette, etc and encourage the use of lesser-known trails like Cabot etc? Seems like the only thing that was accomplished is they ended up with 48 crowded trails instead of 4 or 5 lol.

Lets not get started on the GRID then. Or what doing the NE100 highest has done. Or even some 3k bushwhacks.

Greg

Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:03 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I wonder if you did a survey of these hikers as they started on their hike if they were doing the 48, or he grid, what the % would be.

Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:09 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

hiking lady wrote:
I wonder if you did a survey of these hikers as they started on their hike if they were doing the 48, or he grid, what the % would be.

Or just have you ever hiked this trail before, no grid involved. Or when was the last time you hiked something not on the NH48. Comparing their answers to people on other trail heads not leading to a 48 would be interesting.

Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:35 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Maybe I'm just biased because I'm used to hiking Florida trails where even the remote ones are littered with bottles, fishing equipment, and random trash, but the White Mountain trails I've been on, including AT sections, all seem pristine to me!

Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:47 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

thegibba wrote:
HardcoreIdiot wrote:
I won't debate the positive's and negative's on this issue but I will say that in 20 years we will probably still be saying how much of an issue this is. It won't change no matter how many people approve or disapprove.

Greg

The amount of toilet paper I have seen in the past year is ridiculous. Perhaps I didn't notice it before for one reason or another. There have been a few peaks (bond most notably) where you can just walk about and with little effort, find the bathroom. I find it odd that people wouldn't at least walk off into the brush a bit and drop trou. I wouldn't want someone to just come by and see my rear end hanging out. This past spring I came across a lady who had no modesty taking a pee trailside. I'm not much better bring a guy. But at least a quick turn and no one sees anything.

Ew. Why would one leave TP behind? Makes me think of trips on the Saco party river. *Shudder* I carry out my potty break tissues in a plastic baggy. I thought that was like, the thing to do. Leave no trace, mind your footprint. Especially if you're just day tripping. But then my partner and I hike pretty much nothing but stuff under 3k and out of the way places. A busy peak or trail is seeing 4-8 people in a trip.

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:02 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Pirr wrote:
thegibba wrote:
HardcoreIdiot wrote:
I won't debate the positive's and negative's on this issue but I will say that in 20 years we will probably still be saying how much of an issue this is. It won't change no matter how many people approve or disapprove.

Greg

The amount of toilet paper I have seen in the past year is ridiculous. Perhaps I didn't notice it before for one reason or another. There have been a few peaks (bond most notably) where you can just walk about and with little effort, find the bathroom. I find it odd that people wouldn't at least walk off into the brush a bit and drop trou. I wouldn't want someone to just come by and see my rear end hanging out. This past spring I came across a lady who had no modesty taking a pee trailside. I'm not much better bring a guy. But at least a quick turn and no one sees anything.

Ew. Why would one leave TP behind? Makes me think of trips on the Saco party river. *Shudder* I carry out my potty break tissues in a plastic baggy. I thought that was like, the thing to do. Leave no trace, mind your footprint. Especially if you're just day tripping. But then my partner and I hike pretty much nothing but stuff under 3k and out of the way places. A busy peak or trail is seeing 4-8 people in a trip.

Pirr - You and your partner being well-behaved on trails that see very little traffic reminds me of myself picking up after a 12 lb dog in the city while most of the huge dog owners are NOT taking care of their considerably larger steaming piles :x .

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2