Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Finding What Parking Areas Allow Overnight Parking 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Finding What Parking Areas Allow Overnight Parking
Hello All!

I'm new to backpacking in NH. I just did my first four 4000 footers, and I'm officially an addict. I'm looking to plan future trips. My friend who is from the area told me that some parking areas allow overnight parking, while others do not. I was looking for some sort of index or guide online to let me know what parking areas allow overnight parking in the white mountains so that I can plan these trips in advance. However, I am unable to find where I can park overnight and where it is restricted. I don't want to head to a parking area to find that overnight parking is not allowed, and then have to replan my route! Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:30 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Finding What Parking Areas Allow Overnight Parking
I'm sure there are some out there but I don't know of any offhand that don't allow overnight parking as long as you're not sleeping in the car. It's a pretty common thing for overnight trips to all the huts, shelters and tent sites and I'd guess if anything it's the few trail heads on private land like the Moosilauke Lodge area that would forbid it. On the National Forest parking areas I'd think you'd be fine.

Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:20 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 363715.pdf

Here are the rules for back country camping for good measure if you aren't familiar with them.

As granite guy said. You can park at all of the public land trailheads over night. I haven't seen one yet that says no overnight parking. If it's on state land I would suggest visiting the appropriate website for that chunk of land. I would also do the same for private land. Sometimes trailheads have a street view in Google maps, just look for signage.

Obviously keep your car clean on the inside to deter theft. And keep a shovel in snowy times in case the lot/ car gets plowed in.

Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:31 am
Sovereign Woodsman

What the two previous gentlemen said.... I have not seen any in my travels either.

One other thing, not overnight related at all. Many places do require payment. There will be a kiosk where you get an envelope. put in your (I think) 3 bucks, and put it in the tube. Or, if you are going to be up here a lot, you can buy a White Mountain National Forest Parking Pass ($20). They do check (years ago we received a warning at the Caps Ridge trailhead - not a fine, because our pass had expired a few days previous).

Have fun and welcome to the forum!

Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:26 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Yes, most of the lots you can park (not camp in your car though) overnight, no issues. A number of them are just road-side pullovers, so whether you want to is another story ;)

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]