Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 West Quarry 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

West Quarry
Hi Guys!

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me which would be the easiest route to the summit of West Quarry in the Belknaps. I did it a few years ago from a starting point of the Mt. Major parking lot to N. Straightback, East Quarry, and then to West Quarry. Today I tried it in the opposite direction (from Old Clough Rd. and heading easterly via Quarry Trail towards West Quarry). I was with a friend who needs West Quarry for her "patch" (she has the other 11 peaks) but has a terrible fear of heights and poor upper body strength. When we got to the steep ledges she gave it a couple tries from a couple different routes, but ultimately couldn't do it. I still want to get her up there and I'm hoping that coming from the Mt. Major parking lot is easier. I don't remember it being all that bad, but I'm hoping there's a Belknaper here that can refresh my memory! Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Meg

Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:11 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: West Quarry
as view able from this map

http://belknaprangetrails.org/belknap-range-trail-map/

the Mt. Major Parking lot would be the easier way. I do remember there being signs pointing the way to avoid the rocky scrambles going up from clough rd.

From the Mt. Major lot folow the brook trail to the N. Straightback link (blazed green and somewhat tough to follow compared to other trails) The start of it may be somewhat hard to find, just be on the look out. This is my favorite section of trail in the belknaps that i have been on. Then just follow the quarry trail over the quarray's a small bushwhack and you are there.

Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:56 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I'd for sure think that Old Clough Rd would be the easy way, as gibba said there should be a signed obvious bypass around the scramby section. Still too much?

Maybe from Jesus Valley Rd, but I've never been on those trails and can't speak to them with any intelligence. If not, then I suppose Major is what you're left with.

Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:43 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Sometimes the shortest way is not the better way.

Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:03 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thank you both for your input!

There was an old wooden sign on a tree that is no longer legible. Perhaps that was pointing the way to an alternate route, but I couldn't decipher anything from it. Permanent marker on a porous piece of wood doesn't hold up for too long!

Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:19 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

There's a picture of the old wooden sign in this report from last year. It was barely legible then but I think the short of it was to the right was one of the rougher trails in the Belknaps (Dave Roberts Quarry Trail) and to the left was the easier way. I went right, so I can't say how much easier, but I do believe the last word on it is "easier".

http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?t=7868

I'd also think from Old Clough Road would be the easier route if you go left at the sign, as after the summit the trail is pretty flat and bushy. But the Brook Trail route described was the way I exited the loop in that report and there was nothing that would require upper body strength that I recall.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:08 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

last I saw the sign was this:

I think it says (arrow up and left)"Yellow trail, easier", (arrow back and left) "White trail, harder & over cliffs. Avoid when wet or you're unstable :)"

The older sign has more to say about the easy route but I can't make any sense of it.

N. Straightback Link was more adventurous before it was blazed a couple years ago. It's a little rough near the very top but only for a very short distance.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:28 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thanks Walrus for the photo and thank you Granite Guy for the link to your trip report. Those are helpful! We are going to make another attempt soon. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:29 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

thegibba wrote:
Sometimes the shortest way is not the better way.

Well, you were right, Gibba. We took the longer route (Brook Trail to North Straightback Link to Quarry Trail) today and got West Quarry done. That was definitely the better way to go for my friend. She did great and now she can say she's hiked all 12 Belknaps. It was a great day out there and this might be my new favorite hike. But I think I kind of say that every hike.

Thanks again everyone for all your input, links, photos, etc! It was a big help.

Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]