Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Appalachian Trail Record 
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Re: Appalachian Trail Record
My wife and I just happened to be up there on the summit of Kathadin that day. Totally random, not planned to coincide with his finish. Planned months ahead. BSP is the toughest trail heads to plan due to parking size limits and the permit you need to get in advance. Their goal is to keep the hikers to the same level as 1935. One would think a nature conservancy would see the importance of getting people outside and enjoying nature, then you can transform them into advocates and supporters. Scott's finish was amazing! I'm not that type of hiker but I can appreciate what he accomplished. The coolest site though, outside the view WOW, was a girl who popped up out of the rocks with a brilliant white wedding dress on. Her husband had a full dress Airforce uniform. A photographer was there to take pictures. It was very cool. Scott didn't come up with twelve people. His group was less than that. People who were hiking and others joined and followed him. I don't see how he could stop that. He can't tell them they can't hike the mountain. What do you do if someone trails behind you when you're hiking? Second he didn't litter, he shook a bottle of champagne and opened it. It was liquid that they wrote him up for. Does anyone think the spray from one bottle of champagne lasted more than oh five seconds on top of Katahdin? The third one was he drank some of the champagne. We ll they got him there. But who hasn't had a drink on a summit?? I have. It's probably public drinking on any mountain. He didn't drink the whole bottle neither, he shared it. No one who has half a brain is going to drink heavily on Katahdin. It's a tough decent sober. They were being ridiculous! They didn't write anyone else who hd some of the champagne. They had three armed rangers at the base of the mountain, waiting for trouble, like a shootout or something. If the thru hikers are making the rangers give them rides, make it a rule that the rangers can't have anyone except very injured hikers in their trucks. And not just thru hikers bring their dogs there.
Also the town of MiIlinocket is dyeing. They need any help they can get to survive. And the worst thing for them now is BSP. If they opened up a little and made it easier and enjoyable for hikers it could help the town just enough so that it could survive and perhaps more regular hikers would do more to police the "bad eggs."

Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:35 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Re: Appalachian Trail Record
Oh and I forgot. It will never be in the same scope of Washington. It has no rode, cog railraodup. It is also very secluded, long ride from populated ares to get to and is a much tougher hike than Washington. It would be sooo funny if when he goes to court he could prove it was non alcoholic champagne.

Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2