Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Appalachian Trail Record 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Appalachian Trail Record
Who's gonna take this guy down?

Man hikes the Appalachian Trail in 46 days.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ ... e-32417862
http://thechive.com/2015/07/14/ultramar ... -2-photos/

What a nutcase! :D

Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:17 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Appalachian Trail Record
What an achievement! On a bum knee no less. Nothing like running an ultra day after day for a month and a half.

Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:01 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

"nutcase" -- you know, I actually think I saw he was a vegan, for real. . .

Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:43 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Grindboy wrote:
"nutcase" -- you know, I actually think I saw he was a vegan, for real. . .

He is vegan. He don't stink as much being so....had triple protein power shakes custom made each morning.

Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:46 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Yeah, I was following that and was secretly hoping Pharr Davis would keep the title, it was certainly close. She was humble about it all, but still, sounds like he had to.push it at the end.

Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:51 am
Sovereign Woodsman

THAT'S NOT FAIR!!!!! I've been a vegetarian for 4 decades and it would take me a lot longer than that!

Backpacking Engineer referenced this guy in one of his posts (or maybe it was his blog).

Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:21 am
Sovereign Woodsman

An impressive achievement to be sure. He tore his quad in the early days, and I believe caught a cold or something while heading through the Whites which hurt his mileage too (well, and we all know how brutal the Whites are anyway), and it wasn't looking like he was going to get the record for a while there, but he made up some time on the final stretch of the 100-Mile Wilderness.

Jennifer Pharr Davis did it with only her husband for support, not a whole crew, van, etc. And took only 3 hours longer. Just for perspective.

Not trying to be debbie downer here, but he's also drawing a lot of criticism (in addition to 3 legal citations) for violating several Baxter State Park rules. http://bangordailynews.com/2015/07/16/outdoors/ultramarathoner-faces-fine-for-corporate-event-atop-katahdin/.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:53 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

All right, as one who typically never chimes in on anything "controversial" -- the BSP response. . . seriously?

No question, the guy should know the rules, the guy should follow the rules. To not do so is clearly poor form and I'm not excusing it. I don't know what the littering citation comes from, but if he shot mountains of confetti and silly string all over the alpine zone and left a 20 ft "Corporate Sponsor X congratulates Crazy Athlete Y on Your New Record" banner waving in the wind, then truly that would be egregious (although somehow doubtful).

But how whiny can that BSP facebook post be? Did they have a contest to see who could sound the most petty and victimized? And their actual citations are for 1) alcohol -- ok, so the rule is no alcohol, they should have followed that and, with their disregard, are eligible for citation. But realistically, I'd have to imagine that the spirit of the rule isn't "don't let anybody toast an accomplishment" which probably happens all the time without anybody noticing/caring but more "let's make sure we don't host parties where cases of empty Natty Ice litter our beautiful protected place." So technically sure, they broke the rule, cite them if you must and that's fine, but I'd be surprised if they have a post and pics of everybody who ever has a bubbly or Bud at the summit (or campsite). 2) Littering -- no idea what this is actually about, but I'd be surprised if anybody on the summit brought up Taco Bell for the corporate sponsors and left Nachos Bell Grande dishes encircling the summit sign, and it sure feels like we'd have details and photos if it was something really worth getting upset about. 3) Party size, apparently limited to 12, was 14. Did I get that right? Ok, so that's over the limit, they should have known and respected the rule, cite them, that's fine. Public campaign to shame them? Seriously?

Of course I don't care, I'm dying to get up there whatever rules they have (and by which I'll happily abide) and however they choose to pr. But if you're going to have part of the AT, there's going to be AT stuff. They say that BSP isn't the place for this, but people are going to celebrate AT finish stuff at the ATNT. . . it's kind of the obvious place. Of course I get their point, but how do you expect to have AT w/out AT stuff -- you're kind of setting yourself up for disappointment, IMO. I mean, some people have REAL problems. My community, for instance, heroin. They had too many people taking pictures of a guy with a headband and champaign? Does it seem to anybody else that they look pretty silly here?

Edit -- it's a link from the above link, but BSP's post: https://www.facebook.com/baxterstatepark/posts/1682502611969384

Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:16 am
Sovereign Woodsman

The littering citation was for... wait for it...

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/07/16/marathoner-who-broke-appalachian-trail-record-cited-by-baxter-state-park
“We really don’t think that the top of Katahdin should smell like a bar,” Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell said.

...spraying champagne.

Tim

Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:25 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Yea, I'm not sure how much of the Baxter response is blown out of proportion or not, having not been there, but I'm sure they chose to nitpick on something to make a point, and it sure reads like an over-reaction.

But some perspective: BSP has been dealing with increasingly obnoxious thru-hikers (not nearly all of them mind you) that act "entitled" to get rides around the park from rangers, bringing their pets in, ignoring the group size rules, etc. In short, the same sort of thing we see in the general public these days. I saw something recently that said that thru-hikers are roughly 3% of the traffic, but take roughly 20% of the park's total effort to deal with due to the above. In short, BSP is getting fed up with the crap that comes their way (and again, it's the actions of a few coloring the whole group. Most AT'ers abide by the rules and are not an issue), and is talking about not letting the AT come through the park anymore (and has been talking about it for at least a year or two now, it is not in response to this particular event).

Since Scott's attempt was so widely publicized and documented, they couldn't let anything slip lest others take a cue from that to drive their actions.

Were it anyone else, not in the public eye, I suspect they would have looked the other way on the champagne toast. If consuming alcohol is actually illegal within the park (not just on the summit), which I've seen a few articles suggest, well, I as well as pretty much everyone, is guilty of breaking that rule. Scott put a post up on his page showing a couple boxes of empty wrappers that were from his hike, and he mentioned that he packed everything out that he brought, and they are even sorting through the various wrappers for a recycling program. I doubt he truly littered (and Tim's link suggests he didn't either). The group size, well, he did technically break that one. His group signed in as 12 (the max), but I understand there was a separate, affiliated, group right behind them, which by Baxter rules means they were one group regardless.

Grindboy, don't over-worry about the BSP rules. I've been up there a few times, and never had an issue with the rangers, and most others will tell you the same thing. Most of the rules are what ought to be common sense, they just enforce them a little harder (especially the group size one).

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:45 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I can appreciate BSP trying to nip this in the bud so to speak. They don't want this to be like the peak of mt. Washington with events. It's within their rights to do so. You know that if they got away with it, the next group may try and push the "party" at the top a little further. The filming outfit got what they deserved by not following their permit. If you want to hit up an area without corporate sponsorships and the buzz that follows it. Rest assured BSP is a place you can go.

Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:50 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Interesting comments on the Facebook page.

Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:57 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I had two thoughts on this:
1. How the $%#^ does anyone hike the AT in 46 days? I think that's an average of about 48 miles per day, assuming no days off. That's unbelievable - almost one and one-half Pemi Loops every day. Understood that the terrain wouldn't typically be as difficult as the Pemi Loop, but still ...
2. It doesn't seem like that would be a very enjoyable way to hike the trail. What a grind.

Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:14 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Yes hh, I think your math is good. There's a reason it's a record!

gibba -- if BSP thinks they have a problem somewhere, that's cool, address the issue. Everything about the manner they went about that post just reeks of petty personal pet peeves -- it's just how it comes off. The "p" that's totally left off is "professional." Net effect is that if they were trying to make this dude look bad, they end up looking awful. IMO.

Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:12 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

It just like being a parent. Sometimes you have to be the bad guy. If left unchecked, someone will bring a radio playing the Eye of the tiger song, the next some balloons. Its how humans work. If it wasn't we wouldn't have gotten to the Moon and so on. Otherwise, this guy wouldn't have tried to best someone elses time.

Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next