Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Presidential Traverse 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Presidential Traverse
A couple buddies and I are going to attempt the Presi Traverse this weekend. We are planning on driving up after work from Boston on Friday and hiking up to Valley Way for the night. We are then going to start very early on Saturday and from there we are undecided on where to camp. Does anyone have any somewhat accessible ideas to camp Saturday night?

Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:18 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Presidential Traverse
I assume you are aware, but I need to say that camping above treeline is strictly a no-no (treeline being defined as where the trees are <8' tall, so camping in the scrub is still no bueno, please don't do it).

That unfortunately limits your options pretty severely, especially depending on how far you plan to go Saturday. The RMC camps are a decent option, though they involve a significant drop off the ridge to get to, and since you are starting from Valley Way Campsite, are probably too close. Between the RMC camps and Crawford Notch your only official camping option is Nauman Tentsite near Mizpah Hut, or some sites way down in the Great Gulf. Usually you can find a spot off a trail shortly below treeline though (the crazy steep trails aside). I know, for example, that the Jewell Trail has a couple established (not official mind you) sites not too far below treeline, though I think there are attempts to discourage their use.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:40 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Hi Matt,

I'm very aware of those rules as well and abide by them at all times, too!

I appreciate the advice! It's looking like we may try and switch it up and hit up a couple other mountains this week anyhow due to a guy in the group recently recovering from a knee injury!

Thank you for your time.

Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:02 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

This could be a half way point and some nice stealth sites. completely legal following the back-country camping rules. Other than the fact previous residents have left a trace. They are on the Jewell Trail. 2 problems though. 1, you'd have to descend about a mile on the Jewell. 2, water. But if you were doing south to north, you could fill up on Washington.

This is one.

Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:05 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

^^That's one of the sites I was thinking of. Not far into treeline on the Jewell. Definitely a trace left by prior campers, and only a few feet off the trail, but technically legal per the regulations. For water, there is a spring off the Gulfside nearish the Northern Clay Loop junction, though I'm not sure if it is 100% reliable (there is a sign for it, so maybe it is?).

Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:37 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

madmattd wrote:
^^That's one of the sites I was thinking of. Not far into treeline on the Jewell. Definitely a trace left by prior campers, and only a few feet off the trail, but technically legal per the regulations. For water, there is a spring off the Gulfside nearish the Northern Clay Loop junction, though I'm not sure if it is 100% reliable (there is a sign for it, so maybe it is?).

Sorry Matt, didn't notice you mentioned the ones on the Jewell. The thing about these sites is rangers (did have a long talk about these with one once) prefer people to use these ones that are well established and well known. Greatly reduces impact on other areas. The bone in my photo is actually in a ways. I don't think it can be seen from the although the herd path is quite obvious. There is 1 or 2 more a bit lower that are basically right next to the trail.

Not to thread drift too much here but I once passed a camp on Crawford Path, about have way between 302 and Pierce in winter, that the front door of his tent was literally right on the edge of the snowshoe track. Had to pinch myself to see if I wasn't seeing things. :roll:

Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:05 am
Sovereign Woodsman

JustJoe wrote:
Sorry Matt, didn't notice you mentioned the ones on the Jewell. The thing about these sites is rangers (did have a long talk about these with one once) prefer people to use these ones that are well established and well known. Greatly reduces impact on other areas. The bone in my photo is actually in a ways. I don't think it can be seen from the although the herd path is quite obvious. There is 1 or 2 more a bit lower that are basically right next to the trail.

Ah, OK, not the exact one thought it was then, but in the same area.

Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]