Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dog Control 
Sovereign Woodsman

Dog Control
Or lack of control...

I am a member of the FB 4K footer page. I don't think I had ever posted therein, or even "liked" a post. Its a resource.

I posted there tonight b/c I thought my message would best reach the masses from there. Seems it didn't meet the standard and was removed (but not before several positive comments, and almost 60 "likes".)

I was hiking today and out of nowhere came this dog, rushing at me, barking and growling. A quick look up the trail showed no humans. I had switched gears and was back-pedaling, with my hands up, saying "Whoa. Whoa. It's ok. It's ok. Back off." Then the owners come around the bend and call the dog back. The dog responded and they leashed it, but I was a bit freaked out. They assured me the dog was friendly...just excited.

Uhm...what? I'm friendly. I'm excited. I don't go rushing at people, freaking them out, barking and growling at them. HA. Sometimes I'd like to, but I am generally on my best behavior while on the trails. :shock:

Just ranting...I don't know why I thought it would make a difference to try a public service announcement that clearly others too felt had merit.....

*Off soapbox

Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:54 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Dog Control
I was a member of one of those FB groups. One guy was a jerk to me and made personal attacks upon me. (Granted I didn't help the situation and realized I was also an ass) That was enough. There are too many keyboard/ social justice warriors out there for me to care. I remain here where there is civility and decent human beings. Those with an agenda usually fade away quickly. As a resource for hiking. I find FB to be poor. It's just an unorganized stream of thought. It's also harder to search for info than any dedicated forum.

Tl:dr if your dog doesn't behave you know it. If you don't accept this for whatever reason. You deserve whatever law suit you bring to yourself.

Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:41 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

I'll say that many people carry things for the exact purpose of dealing with dogs. A neighbor of mine has got a big stick he carries, my aunt carries pepper spray and maybe a gun cause I know she has a CCW.

I have never had a real bad experience with dogs on trail. I've been snapped at once in 6 years, but other than that the "bad" ones mostly just try to be loud or get mud on me. One time a puppy grabbed a log wider than the trail and ran back almost tripping us all, but it was too funny to be angry.

Recently though I've had the problem of dogs wanting to move faster, so they stick with me after I pass their people. I don't mind the dogs at all, it's pretty neat, but when they start following me past trail junctions I start feeling responsible for them and resent the obligation to make sure they don't lose their people. I've never had dogs, but cats, and I know the sensations and emotions of a pet being lost are horrific, terrifying, depressing, and immensely sad. Some people, including friends, after an experience like that, have sworn off pets entirely, as another loss is more than they feel they can bear.

Sympathies aside, I had places to be this morning, so when a couple dogs followed me the last half mile of the service road to the ski base of Tecumseh, I didn't do much. They did have some sort of electronic collar on so I wasn't too worried. And dogs are smart, I've been told.

Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:59 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I have a (mean!) dog (who can't hike, long story) and absolutely love dogs. I think I've met one dog ever that I didn't like. But yeah, last time I was out, I came to a junction where there were several people sitting and having a snack break and one of their large dogs (yes, off leash) came up to about 10' from me barking very aggressively. Like I'm no Caesar Milan but I can tell an excited dog from a threatening/threatened/protective dog. It's not hard. So naturally I stop and talk to the dog (I wasn't going to approach the 100lb guy closer than he wanted me), all the while the owner yells "Oh he's friendly, he's friendly!" Lady, I believe that YOU're friendly, and I believe that your dog is friendly to YOU (my mean dog is friendly to me and my family too!), but 100 out of 100 people can recognize that this is NOT friendly behavior!

I really do love dogs, I'm not one who minds seeing them on the trail. Being guided up Green Mtn by a couple of actually friendly random local dogs was awesome and hilarious! But since it's fresh and recent, there's my story.

Also, full agreement with gibba on the community here being much more reasonable and civil than most anywhere else on the 'net, really, and thanks to all for being a part of making it so.

Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:44 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Grindboy wrote:
I have a (mean!) dog (who can't hike, long story) and absolutely love dogs. I think I've met one dog ever that I didn't like. But yeah, last time I was out, I came to a junction where there were several people sitting and having a snack break and one of their large dogs (yes, off leash) came up to about 10' from me barking very aggressively. Like I'm no Caesar Milan but I can tell an excited dog from a threatening/threatened/protective dog. It's not hard. So naturally I stop and talk to the dog (I wasn't going to approach the 100lb guy closer than he wanted me), all the while the owner yells "Oh he's friendly, he's friendly!" Lady, I believe that YOU're friendly, and I believe that your dog is friendly to YOU (my mean dog is friendly to me and my family too!), but 100 out of 100 people can recognize that this is NOT friendly behavior!

Also, full agreement with gibba on the community here being much more reasonable and civil than most anywhere else on the 'net, really, and thanks to all for being a part of making it so.

Couldn't agree more with both of those statements. Seems like a good number of people don't get how territorial and protective even their "friendly" dogs can be. And even if friendly, how would they like it if I came charging at them screaming at the top of my lungs when approaching on a trail? Seems like an inappropriate way to give a greeting for man or beast if you are grisly as friendly and harmless they all want their pets to be.

The dog thing bothers me more because I have a daughter with dog allergies and don't feel like getting a kid covered in hives or having an asthma attack just because someone thinks it's ok for their friendly dog to jump all over us/her, so when she was real little I've given a good number of those friendly dogs a little shove away with my leg, often while the owners protest me doing so and say their pooch is friendly and only wants to sniff and lick us. Sorry buddy, I like to think I'm fairly friendly too, but if the choice is kick your dog away from the three feet or so around my kid or make her take Benedryl and use her inhailer in order to enjoy the rest of the day, your dog is at a minimum getting a "friendly" boot away from her.

Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:51 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I wish that the good Google search was still here so I could find the (at least2) other threads discussing dogs.

No time to repeat for the umpteenth time my tale of being bitten by a dog on trail. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs. But because of my story, Kathie's and I'm sure dozens of others, I firmly believe that a lease law should be put in place. Even the friendliest, loving dogs freak a lot of people out when they come running around a corner without the owner in site. As innocent as that sounds, that is a dog is not in its owners control. It really is unacceptable. I'm afraid this is a situation where the good have to be punished because of the bad.

Last edited by JustJoe on Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:50 am, edited 5 times in total.

Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:10 am
Sovereign Woodsman

thegibba wrote:
I was a member of one of those FB groups......As a resource for hiking. I find FB to be poor.

I too am in the camp of "former" member of that FB group. And as far as the "resource" comment, it certainly wasn't their experience it was more their plans (so I could avoid that area) and/or the pics so I might get an idea of trail conditions.

Grindboy wrote:
I have a (mean!) dog

the owner yells "Oh he's friendly, he's friendly!" Lady, I believe that YOU're friendly, and I believe that your dog is friendly to YOU (my mean dog is friendly to me and my family too!), but 100 out of 100 people can recognize that this is NOT friendly behavior!

I too had a mean dog. As yours, he wasn't mean to me or the family and he was an excellent deterrent against trespassers on my land. I did not take him hiking - BECAUSE HE WAS SCARY! Though I would have leashed him.

And the "he's friendly" shouts make me crazy!

JustJoe wrote:
Even the friendliest loving dogs freak a lot of people out when they come running around a corner without the owner in site. As innocent as that sounds, that is a dog who is not in its owners control. It really is unacceptable.

Plain words. Simply put, the dog was not in the owners control. In my case, I truly believe that if I had been less aware, or not as quick, I would have been bitten.

And, along with Grindboy and the Gibba, I wholeheartedly agree that this forum rocks. This is where I come for guidance, advice, camaraderie, understanding and AMAZING pictures. :D

Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:50 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Don't feel bad. The person who runs that FB page is a bit of a.....well, I will use tact and simply say said person can be "difficult." :wink: One of those kind of people where if you don't agree with them then you are an idiot and are wrong. Just ask BobC who ALSO ditched the group after his own encounter. I personally never joined, but Mike (Salty) posted something about Greg's and me doing the Trek for a Cure last year. Within minutes the post was removed and he was sent a message saying "No fund raising is allowed here." Pretty interesting since, at that moment, said rule did not seem to appear anywhere on said page. I believe it was because, for whatever reason, said person does not like me (which is weird since I never really had any issues with the person until they started acting odd to me.) But hey, whatever. I don't sweat the small stuff anymore, and if anything I can of laugh at the pettiness of it. :lol:

Mostly I have positive encounters with dogs on the trail. But I do remember one pitch black night at the Zealand trail parking lot. I had just dropped Bob off after our Bonds traverse and I had just gotten into my car, started it up, when I saw a huge black shadow moving through the lot. My first thought was "BEAR!" so I turned my headlights on and swung the car around to find myself staring down....a huge dog. I forget what breed it was, but it was one of those 100+ pound kinds. But the odd thing was, as I sat there for several seconds (the dog was positioned between my car and the way out) there was no sign at all of it's owners. I still to this day wonder if it was really a ghost dog. :twisted:

Brian

Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:40 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

:) :) :) There's only one dog I've ever had issues with (disobedience), so she stays home :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:58 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Most dogs I've encountered on the trail were actually friendly and under good control, but I've had a few rough encounters. Most notably on a loop hike over Lovewell Mtn. in Washington. Was doing a road walk back to my car and this idiot dog runs out of the house right up to me and won't let me pass. I swear, he looked like he was about to attack. Then after five minutes or so, the owner runs out and gets the dog. Never walking that stretch of road again :x

As far as the Facebook 4K forum goes, yeah there are some bad apples there. I myself was the victim of personal attacks that were, IMO, bulls**t. Was just asking simple questions and then they roll in and blow it all out of proportion. Don't agree with some of the rules, either.

I wholeheartedly agree that Hike-NH owns ALL. The FB forum, VFTT, yadda yadda. I think what makes it so awesome is the lax moderation combined with a relatively small number of regular users. We're more like a "community", so to speak. Hope this forum never dies!

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:31 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

The best times ive had hiking were in colorado and texas where dogs werent allowed. And i have four rat dogs so im not be a dog racist either.

Greg

Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:44 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

New Hampshire wrote:
Don't feel bad. The person who runs that FB page is a bit of a.....well, I will use tact and simply say said person can be "difficult." :wink: One of those kind of people where if you don't agree with them then you are an idiot and are wrong.

Yep. I know many people who have been kicked out of that group for no good reason. I left, tired of the drama there. There's a lot of other stuff too that I won't get into publicly. Suffice to say that calling for a dog that charged you needing to be on a leash is a no-no there (which is ridiculous). Don't sweat it. Most of us here feel that there are some bad dog owners out there giving the good dog owners a bad name. If your dog runs up at everyone it sees, that's a problem. Not everyone is a fan of dogs, and dogs don't react the same to everyone.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:21 pm
Master Mountaineer

thegibba wrote:
I was a member of one of those FB groups.

I can summarize:
30 new posts a day that ask what the current trail conditions are on Lafayette.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:40 am
Sovereign Woodsman

iagreewithjamie wrote:
thegibba wrote:
I was a member of one of those FB groups.

I can summarize:
30 new posts a day that ask what the current trail conditions are on Lafayette.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: oh my, why does that not surprise me!!!! Good one

Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:11 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

I have managed to this point to not sign up for Facebook, however the comments I have heard posted on the 4,000 footer site make me want to sign up just to see what all the fuss is about. I'm not going to do it, but I have wanted to read some of the posts on there for kicks.

Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next