Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Alpine Garden 
Sovereign Woodsman

Alpine Garden
I saw on the spring wild flowers thread (VFTT) today that Guyot/Bonds and Jefferson are starting to get flowers (diapensia and Mountain cranberry). Anybody have anything to report? i think I have the flu right now (or a bad cold) so I'm too tired and sick to tell you all about the nice redlining we did at Appalachia yesterday.

Tue May 26, 2015 9:45 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Alpine Garden
Answering my own question :lol: :lol: :lol: .... I saw on New England Trail Conditions that there are some nice flowers near Eisenhower. I called Pinkham Notch today, they told me that people have been reporting that the Alpine Garden had many blooms.

A couple ideas - go up very early (Sunday) to catch the sunrise near Eisenhower. Check out the area near Monroe, and then head over (via Tuckerman Crossover) to the Alpine Garden. After hearing from the AMC today that the Alpine Garden is good right now, I was thinking of just going up from there. Any ideas? And no funny ones about going up through Huntington :lol: :lol: :lol: , I have jury duty a week from Monday and wouldn't know how to call in from the hospital!

Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:55 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

You won't have to worry about Jury duty if you take Huntington. The fall will kill you! :lol:

And that'll be a very VERY early start if you want to catch sunrise. It's coming up before 5 am right now. Looks like space is limited at the LOC hut Saturday night but there might be room for you two which could make for a nice sunset Saturday and sunrise Sunday. Just avoid Tucks as its closed right now for the snow arch I think. Good luck. Let us know how the blooms are. I'm thinking of Great Gulf next week myself.

Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:59 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Thanks! Great Gulf may be on our vacation list in mid-July, Prema has her eyes on the Six Husbands ladders. Unless she sees your ADK report with its ladders! I'm going to sleep soon and we are going to try for early enough to get up Edmands. We'll let all of you know!

Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:39 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I went through the Alpine Garden yesterday (Sunday), and it was OK, but definitely past peak. Much of the diapensia was no longer flowering. Over by the base of Monroe/Lakes of the Clouds though, things were better and I know some folks posted great stuff around the "Monroe Flats" from yesterday. There were a few nice patches heading down the Gulfside/Jewell as well.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:33 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Hey, wasn't Monroe just gorgeous! I'm too damn tired to write about this now, but I'm so glad you posted this, because we skipped the Alpine Garden and now I don't feel like it was the wrong thing to do (Rachel's pictures -Rachel and Isis - didn't seem to have a lot of flowers, and that was from yesterday). I had a hare-brained idea that we would go up Edmands very early, take Crawford to see the Monroe area, Tuckerman cross-over, blah, blah, blah. I actually went to bed around 5:30 Sat afternoon and got up and left here around midnight. We started up Edmands around 3:30. With that schedule, bad knees, a 3 week old cold that just won't go away, you can imagine how that went! You also know how beautiful yesterday was, perfect above treeline day. So we just went as far as the hut, where one of the croo told me Monroe had just as much, if not more, to offer. She may have been right.

Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:58 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Oh yeah, and we saw a LUNA MOTH :o :o :o ! What a surprise that was! It was lying off to the side on some plants, slowly flapping its wings. I just googled them and found that they only live for a week after becoming a moth. Their purpose is to mate and die. What a beautiful moth! I did not know they lived up here, maybe that strong wind blew it off course.

Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:32 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Beckie and Prema wrote:
So we just went as far as the hut, where one of the croo told me Monroe had just as much, if not more, to offer. She may have been right.

I didn't go up to Monroe (I know, I know...), but based on what I saw on my way by versus the Alpine Garden, and what some others posted from around Monroe, I'd agree with her statement too.

I missed Rachel and Isis, and several others too, by an hour or two in the garden :(

I've seen Luna Moths a few times in the Whites, but not that far above treeline. They are very cool to see though. I didn't know they only lived for a week.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:31 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I've seen those moths a few times too but had no idea what they were. That's pretty interesting that they only live for a week. I also just read that they have no mouths and don't eat. Probably why they only live for a week. I'm sure they have some purpose in the grand scheme of things but it seems like one of mother nature's stranger more useless designs.

Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:10 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Beckie, you just reminded me.....it's about time for my annual ride up the auto road to hike the Alpine Garden Trail. Next time I do it, I have to make sure I have a back-up plan while up that far north. Last time I did the Alpine, it was so socked in, that I could hardly see the next cairn. I had fun last year, but I'd like to go farther and explore more while up there.

YouTube from the last time there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EClnTc4b1A

Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:46 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Keyz56 wrote:
Beckie, you just reminded me.....it's about time for my annual ride up the auto road to hike the Alpine Garden Trail. Next time I do it, I have to make sure I have a back-up plan while up that far north. Last time I did the Alpine, it was so socked in, that I could hardly see the next cairn. I had fun last year, but I'd like to go farther and explore more while up there.

YouTube from the last time there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EClnTc4b1A

Pick a good weather day as best as you can (if you catch my drift), and you will not be disappointed! I think the garden is past prime, but the views are great, and it really is another world up there. Just please, please do NOT, under any circumstances, go DOWN the Huntington Ravine Trail :shock: . The Alpine Garden Trail intersects the upper junction of that route, but it is not recommended to descend it since it is the roughest hiking trail in the Whites and climbs the steep headwall of Huntington Ravine over several scrambles.

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:47 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I hear ya. I just want to complete the Alpine Garden Trail. Last year when I was there, I turned around at the first intersection. It was way to foggy and I felt like I couldn't tell where I was going after a while.

Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:07 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

On Thursday I went up Ammo to Monroe and then to Washington and down via Jewell. The flower bloom was nice, but a bit past in my judgement.

BTW - the detour towards the end of the Jewell (if you take a left at the jct and head for the Cog RR station) has been removed. They've put a couple of planks & logs on the boulders to help cross the stream. A bit tricky, but it works.

Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]