Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 An Urban "Hike" 
Sovereign Woodsman

An Urban "Hike"
O.k. so it's not really a hike, but we're starved for stories here.

For the past several years, Prema and I have been doing "The Walk for Hunger," the 20 mile loop that Project Bread has sponsored for many years. It's fun to compare it to hiking as we walk along the city streets.

This year it was a baptism by fire - I've done nothing but shovel snow, two hikes less than 6 miles, and sat on my a#$ all winter (only person less prepared than me was a young man at work who got drunk the night before a 60 mile bike event and rode hungover for a few miles before vomiting his brains out :oops: ). Prema says, "So what, it's flat, no big deal." Just like several of our hikes, my intention to start early did not work out. Got to the Oak Grove start of the Orange Line, it had a bus shuttle and then the train (repairs being done on the weekend). Then I was with the huge crowd in the Boston Common, registering. Off we went! We like to call this "Urban Owl's Head," since most of it is flat; and we even compare the check points to the Owl's Head trails.

First check point, 2.5 miles, that's the filthy rich Lincoln Woods Trail. You go by all the million dollar Beacon St. houses. All their spring flowers in bloom. Prema will be the fiirst to tell you the emperor has no clothes - "Rent is 4x our mortgage? And there's no real yard? Who pays $ for this?" So we talked about properties up north. And I didn't think of it until now, but if I could afford those houses, I could afford a certain exclusive tract of land and Chuck and Cheryl would no longer have an asterick next to their names on the fire tower website :D .

Doing the dehydration shuffle... I followed my typical hiking pattern. Only instead of running behind trees every so often, I used the portables at the start (Boston Common - Lincoln Woods Visitor Center) and the next two check points. Then, in spite of the organizers providing unlimited water and us carrying bottles, I told Prema I would probably do the next 10 miles or so without a pit stop, because no matter how I try to drink enough I never do.

The community - Just like the woods, there are a lot of great people here. And the big crowd is for the first 10 miles. Again, it reminds me of Owl's Head because everyone knows Lincoln Woods is good for people who just want a walk in the woods or for physical reasons can not go much further. Not only is it nice to see lots of young people who would do this to raise $ for the food bank, but it's to see them walking and enjoying the day. So much for all the hopeless couch potatoes you always hear about. And everybody encourages everyone else. The funniest past was somewhere between mile 12 and 14, a group of high school girls in back of us were starting to drag. I heard one say to her friend, "You have to keep with it! Look at that old lady with the backpack who just passed us. If she can do it, we can too!" So funny :lol: :lol: :lol: !

I was fine for the first half, maybe a little longer. Then, my right foot started to bother me - the top is painful. I told Prema there are actually three types of arthritis - Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, and $%^&*! Arthritis. This happens from time to time, and then it goes away. It may not even be arthritis, but it was miserable. By the time that happened, mile wise we would have been coming back from Owls head. By this time you are in Watertown/Cambridge on Memorial Drive and the walk along the river is beautiful. It reminds me of the Ammonusic Ravine Trail - the beauty of the water takes some of your focus off the discomfort of what you're doing. In this case, it is the Charles and the flowering trees along its banks, rather than the many cascades on the steep Ammo.

And then there's book time; which I never make, city or woods. I'm o.k. for the first part, but this time I really dragged toward the end. Many times I don't get out of the woods before my post-hike eatery closes. This time I was moving so slow at the end I just knew they would be out of ice cream when we got to the finish :( . Or in another way - just like hiking I was too damn tired to stop for something to eat afterwards. I slept on the T, drove home, saw the gorgeous moon darting in and out of the clouds and thought of GG's moonlight hikes. Hoped some of you got out for the day, but so far I don't see any trail reports, so here ya go until someone puts up something.

Anybody else do these types of walks (breast cancer, relay for life, etc) or rides? Anybody want to share their fun story?

Mon May 04, 2015 10:19 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: An Urban "Hike"
Good for you two for putting your walking skills to great use! We do the North Shore Cancer Walk, which is coming up in about a month. Nice stroll through Salem and along the water for a good cause. We do it with a bunch of my wife's family who have lost a lot of good people to that terrible disease. The girls walk what they want to and then one rides in the pack and the others in a stroller. Maybe I'll turn that into an urban hike report also. :D

I did catch the moonrise too, but unfortunately it was from the highway on the tail end of a long weekend trip. Still a nice show, and I'll get a report up asap.

Tue May 05, 2015 8:25 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Trail or whatever, hilly or flat, I still say that's a long way to walk!

Tue May 05, 2015 9:14 am
Sovereign Woodsman

It sure was! I'm praying my sore foot is better by Mother's Day, so we can go some place good!

Tue May 05, 2015 7:58 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I had a few mins and I was thinking about the hike-nh crew so I logged on and saw this post. Awesome job completing the walk! And I loved the analogies to OH. And congrats on showing those teens who is boss :)

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Tue May 19, 2015 9:34 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Thanks! When we did OH, we would compare certain places to the Walk for Hunger - first checkpoint is 2.5 miles, it's in Brookline. So we called the end of the Lincoln Woods Trail Brookline!

Sun May 24, 2015 11:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]