Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Lists you may or may not be doing 
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Lists you may or may not be doing
dasein wrote:
Colorado hiking if fantastic. I hope you have a wonderful time on your trip out there. What do you hope to hike while out there? I can not wait to return. I am at 4/54 on my 14er list. That one could take a little while to finish though... :wink:

Good question. I have a few already on my radar, like Mt. Elbert, Mt. Massive, Grays Peak, Torreys Peak, and Handies Peak. I still have to write out an exact itinerary, but it will roughly go like this, assuming the trip is two weeks long:

The first three days and the last three days will be spent driving driving to and from CO. Once I'm there, I plan to set up camp around 10,000 ft and acclimatize for as long as I deem necessary. Once I feel I'm all set, I'm gonna spend the rest of my time actually spent in the state banging out as many 14ers as I can, starting with the less difficult ones and gradually moving up in difficulty, with some rest days squeezed in between. Like I said earlier, I still need to write a full itinerary as well as an outline of all costs involved.

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:24 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Oh that will be a blast! Driving out there would be a lot if fun as well. I hiked Elbert and looked upon Massive. I wish I had hiked that as well. Such an impressive looking mountain. Another time...

NH 4k Single winter season 14'-15'
NE 67 58/67
Grid 198/576
http://www.viewsoftheshire.com

Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:36 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Granite Guy wrote:
I think Kevin Rooney may have finished the 111. It's a far better list than the HH IMHO, but has a lot more driving to the Catskillls and Adirondacks from where many of us live than most people want to do on a regular basis. Too bad as the high peaks area of the Adirondacks Is a pretty spectacular chunk of real estate.

As a whole the HH just has too many crap peaks with long drives from what I've seen and heard to hook me, but I cherry pick the better peaks occasionally. In NH Sandwich Dome via Altonquin Trail and Mt Nancy were both amazing hikes.

The Northeast 111 certainly has more appealing summits than in the latter half of the NEHH list. It's one I'd like to pursue but the distance from NY is too much for me. I will get out for a great Range visit at some point but am simply too far most of the time.

I have no interest in returning to many of the obscure NEHH peaks but really did enjoy the bushwhacks and route finding at the time. And if you want to find moose antlers, those were pretty ideal peaks in some cases. I have little interest in bush whacking these days other than for an occasional destination but it was cool to get out to some very remote locations for these peaks and test the limits of my various vehicles.

Agree about Sandwich Dome, a gem. And the hike to Mount Nancy has it all....great summer hike. My first trip there was a rainy April day finding spruce traps in deep rotten snow. Probably should have waited for July on that one. Gorgeous hike in good weather though.

Oh yes, and I suppose I am at 1/54 on the Colorado 14ers but don't plan to complete that list.

Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3