Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Lists you may or may not be doing 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Lists you may or may not be doing
Just curious, the subject of lists has come up a couple times recently and some people are doing more lists than I've ever even heard of. If you care to say, which lists are you doing, or not not doing as the case may be? Let's define that second part as lists you may not be banging out every time you get a chance, but do keep track of even if it's a rare occasion you check something off.

For me I've finished most of the lists I've been working on in the last few years and wanted to get away from lists, but alas...

The only list I'm actively working on is the NE111.

I am however not avoiding the NEHH when looking for ideas occasionally. Fifty Finest gets a look every once in a while too. Only a few left in the Ossipees but don't really care if/when I ever finish it because it just seems like a random collection of 10 accessible peaks. I'm also trying to hike all the conservation areas within a 45 minute (Google Maps drive time) ride of my home but have no real list. The peaks of the Maine coast too is a pet project of mine, although I've yet to decide on a distance form the shore or height that qualifies said peaks. That's about it for me. Everything else is red lining or random.

But I saw this on VFTT tonight while lurking.

http://www.newenglandwaterfalls.com/top25newenglandhikes.php

Obviously arguable, but looks like a strong list that I like the idea of. Anyone done them all and what do you think of it? Don't know if I should be happy I'm at 22.5 of them before I knew it existed or sad that 90% of the best hikes in New England are not new to me :? but the 2.5 I have left have been on the waiting list for a while now and I feel like I should finish them this year now that I saw this darn thing. I am only at 19 of the 35 runner ups so a ways to go in the top 60 I guess. Then again, the NewEnglandWaterfalls.com Top 25 New England Hikes doesn't have a great ring to it so maybe not! :D

Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:27 pm

Re: Lists you may or may not be doing
The NE770. That should cover everything I may, or may not be doing. In winter too. 8)

Last edited by JustJoe on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:16 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I wonder if it's not too narcissistic of me to wonder if the first line is a reference to a comment I made recently about however the list of lists that I'm "not doing?" Sure, I'll be happy to share.

First, though, you have to understand the nature of my disease. Basically, anywhere that somebody says "Oh, I went there, it was really nice" I want to go to. And then if it WAS nice, or if conditions weren't good, I'll want to go back. Whether it's a tr, or a "real" list, or a "questionable" list, or a book of suggested hikes, or a book with suggested hikes, if anybody, at any time, enjoyed going there, this never satisfied thing in me rises up determines that I must go there, too. Or, on some level, even if it is NOT great, but people have heard of it, it's almost as bad. "Oh, you like to hike? I've heard about this random obscure spot, have you been there?" I want to say "yes, yes I have!" Not that the conversation ever could even happen -- it's not about looking hardcore to anybody else or whatever, but there's something in me that won't be satisfied if there's a place that I could get to that I haven't. So, with that all said (I'm guessing/hoping I'm not the only one on here like that, by the way?):

"Lists" I'm actively pursuing and fully expect to finish at some point:
1) All the "suggested hikes" in my WMG (28th edition). It won't happen this year, but I'm close enough that if I made it my only goal I probably could. If/when I do "finish," I may have to finally bite the bullet and get the 29th ed. and see what's been added. Or if it takes long enough, maybe there will be a 30th?
2) All the "suggested hikes" in my Southern NH Trail Guide (3rd edition, although I pre-ordered the 4th and it should be coming soon -- who knows how this may blow things up!). This isn't at all likely to finish this year either, because if I get good full days to hike I'd rather go somewhere more awesome than SNH, but it wouldn't be at all hard if I wanted to.
3) My own personal "local grid" of four favorite easy local spots (Adams Point, Blue Job, Stonehouse Pond, Mt Major).
4) I have my own list of local-ish spots to hit just because they're there and around. Of course, as many are added as get removed as you jokers constantly bring my attention to more and more places! But I'll expect to exhaust this "list" at some point, they're all relatively low-hanging fruit.

"Lists" I'm actively keeping track of and would like to finish, but don't necessarily "expect" to:
1) AMC's "Nature Walks on the Seacoast" book, 51 walks. You start to see how this is a disease, right? And this would absolutely go in the above category save for I'm not sure I'll ever want to pay for a ferry ride to Star Island, and so this may "finish" at 50/51 (but I do fully expect to get that far).
2) NH4k's round two. Do I really want to go back to Hale?
3) TW72. This would be a more solid goal if not for viewless bushwhacks. I'm not sure I'll ever be motivated to do viewless bushwhacks. . . but I DO like seeing the number go up!
4) NE67. I would really like to think this has a chance, but since my NH48 finish in July '13, I've added only Old Speck. I certainly expect to make progress this year, though, and I don't think there's anywhere that I wouldn't/couldn't make a point to visit. My issue is just finding time/freedom to make longer trips -- can't get to Mansfield or the Bigelow's and still pick up my kid after school!
5) NEHH. This is probably more attainable than the NHHH -- but see TW72 regarding viewless bushwhacks. Unlikely to finish, but I'd like to at least get all of the trailed peaks.
6) NHHH. Same as NEHH.
7) WNH4K. 1 in '14, 1 in '15. . . it would be fun, but there are a variety of complications and at this rate I'll "finish" at age 84.
8) NH4K Solo. This really wouldn't be hard to finish off, but is a remarkably low priority. If I wasn't sort of close, I wouldn't ever even think of it. But since I AM kind of close, well, you know. . . .
9) Redlining. I'm MUCH more interested in different viewpoints or specific points of interest than simply walking by every tree in the WMNF just because they're there. But I DO like keeping track and making progress, and if I'm going to hike it's something that I consider. So it's really not a goal, but if in a few years I find myself at 80% and views are socked in for a couple years in a row, eh, who knows?

And honestly there's more, but they get more and more ridiculous and so that's as much as I'll really admit to. From time to time I might wander into a store and pick up a NH hiking book and just thumb through the contents to see if I've been to all of them or not. I know, it's a sickness.

As for the list of Top 25 New England Hikes, yes I saw that too. I obviously can't get enough of that kind of thing! I've done 17 of the 25 -- all of the NH trips, none of the others. Almost the same for the next 35 -- haven't been to Table Rock, but have been to Sargent/Penobscot in Acadia (15/35). It does seem like a very solid list and hard to argue too much with. Of the NH trips, I don't think I'd have Sugarloaves THAT highly ranked and would suggest some could be swapped in, but it's pretty minor, and I know it's still a great hike.

Dang, I just wrote a whole lot.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:21 am

JustJoe wrote:
The NE770. That should cover everything I may, or may not be doing. In winter too. 8)

So you only hike 3000 footers and up? :wink:

Grindboy wrote:
I wonder if it's not too narcissistic of me to wonder if the first line is a reference to a comment I made recently about however the list of lists that I'm "not doing?" Sure, I'll be happy to share.

First, though, you have to understand the nature of my disease...
...(I'm guessing/hoping I'm not the only one on here like that, by the way?):

For starters, that might be the first time you've ever used an emoticon, or emoji, or whatever it's called, that I rememeber?! :shock: :D

I don't know how many of us are out there, but I'm sure I'd be in the support group for that disease! And it wasn't a direct reference to you, but it did cross my mind, as did Brian talking about Gregs list that isn't a list, Hiker0200 mentioning the lists Croydon is on, Gibba texted me about hitting up some 52WAV this week (on a day I unfortunately have to work) and I was looking at southern lists like the South above 6000 and seeing if there's anything for Shenandoah a couple weeks ago (apparently there is not) etc etc etc and then seeing the Top 25 NE hikes, well, it was just list list list lately so I just had to ask.

As mentioned I have and have always had my own obscure lists (doesn't everyone? What fun is only hiking someone elses lists all the time??) plus the more "official" lists, plus I definitely have the disease and need to see anywhere that has a seemingly worthwhile trail also like the islands of Casco Bay, Nature Conservancy and SPNHF properties in NH, NH Natural National Landmarks, NH State Parks and more. I guess I just never really considered them lists, but if put on paper I guess they are, so maybe I'm doing a whole lot more lists than I knew when you look at it that way. Those plus redlining the Whites and Acadia and Camden Hills (as I figure for the most part they don't put trails where there's nothing to see or they eventually get abandoned if they do) will keep me busy and new things always start up, especially as long term goals. I also have the AMC Seacoast Hikes, and while not trying to do them all (I don't like to go south!) I actually did try and take the family out on the boat last summer but the weather derailed that.

This is a dangerous rabbits hole here. The more I look at it the more I'm doing, and either didn't consider them lists or maybe part of the disease is being in denial? Either way, cool, keep them coming. Curious what other members of Hike-A-Holics Anonymous (Does HAHA seem like a good acronym for a serious disease?? :D ) have lurking in the dark recesses of their minds.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:57 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Well since you asked:

52 WAV. I have 2 left, Desi 1 so we both will probably finish this year.
NE67. We only have the ME peaks to do minus old speck.
NEHH. Not a priority so other than finishing the ME 4k peaks, this will probably be a long time to do.
NH 100 Prominent Peaks. Pretty self explanatory.
NH 200 Winter. Heck of a lot harder to do in winter. Easier with a larger group or hardly any snow.
NH 500. A few peaks on there that have access issues so more of a "do as many as you can, go over by a few and call it good".
NH Town Highpoints. Not the standard list but a list given to us by a friend (who shall remain nameless) as I respect his wishes. A lot more peaks on this list than you think there are.
MA 100. The 100 highest peaks in Massachusetts which doesn't sound too bad (as there are only 2 peaks over 3000) but the amount of driving....
VT 200. Same as above, except more driving and more peaks to do.

Thats just a few lists going currently. I am always making some sort of personal list so im sure there will be more added.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:39 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

NH200 (which also encompasses NH100 and NH3k lists)
52WAV which I will start doing more when my kids can hike
W48 (slowly)
I will also keep track of the TW72 since I'd like to visit all the peaks but it would take a long time to complete by the 1-peak-per-trip rule. When I go hiking alone I try to do something on one of my lists, but I also have friends who have their own hiking goals that I will indulge.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:54 pm

HardcoreIdiot wrote:
NH Town Highpoints. Not the standard list but a list given to us by a friend (who shall remain nameless) as I respect his wishes. A lot more peaks on this list than you think there are.

I really never put much thought into how many town are in NH, but that's what Wikipedia is for! :wink: So if the answer is 234, yes that's a few more than I would have guessed. Easy number to remember though if it's ever a question on Jeopardy! :D

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_and_towns_in_New_Hampshire

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:26 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Redlining the WMG. because I don't want to miss out on anything! Hopefully I won't die of old age first. Or kill myself on Huntington Ravine.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:37 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

I'm not really dedicated to any peakbagging list at all right now.
I thought I was doing the NE67 but I've been stalled at 52/67 for over 3 years now. Same with NEHH. I can't imagine never finishing but who knows.

2015 NH48: 39/48
NH48 round 4: 41/48
52WAV 41/52 (WAV 39/52)

The past year or so I've been focusing more on fitness and endurance which lends itself more towards hikes on trails I am already familiar with. I have a list of hikes I would like to try once the snow is gone, mostly just the longer trails in a day(Kinsman Ridge, Kilkenny Ridge, WC-C-M, maybe Grafton Loop or Wapack e2e2e) and some long up and down routes in the Great Gulf and on Katahdin.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:40 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I've finished the lists I was actively working towards (W48, NE67, NEHH), but I am still working towards a few short-term goals:
- 48-in-a-calendar year. Yes, again.
- 48 in each season. Theoretically I could finish this year, but it will probably be next year.

Other lists I am tracking but not really working on, more of ones that I pick at here and there:
- TW72 (9 or 10 left, none technically have a trail)
- New England 50 Finest (though I hate that name since its really the 50 top prominent peaks - a real 50 finest would be interesting though!)
- White Mountain Redlining. When I can while working on the short-term goals, I try to do new trails. Not sure I'll ever finish though.
- Winter NE67 (OK, this one I might be more actively working on).
- 52 WAV
- Belknap 12. Actually, this was never on my to-do list, but since I did 11 of the 12 in one day last year, I guess I ought to finish someday :)
- I also have a personal bucket list of various things, some redlines, some specific peaks, some specific hikes, etc etc. And that's just the Northeast Stuff.
- State highpoints. I have no intention of ever finishing this one (Denali, Ranier, and a few others are above my skill and desire level), but I've done a few (OK, 5).

And yea, I'm tracking the grid. But I'm ~5-6 years away at my current rate. Whenever I get there, I get there. Provided my job doesn't relocate me first ;)

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:18 am

madmattd wrote:
New England 50 Finest (though I hate that name since its really the 50 top prominent peaks - a real 50 finest would be interesting though!)

I agree on the dumb name. As for a real solid New England finest (25 plus 35 also rans) look no further.

http://www.newenglandwaterfalls.com/top25newenglandhikes.php

If they added in a few of the also rans and a bunch in NY for a Northeast 50 finest it would be a pretty awesome list.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:04 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I love how this all starts. I start hiking as a teen, do a peak here and there, then you hike Washington and I hear about the 48 and I'm off and running, obsessing about that. Finish that and decide I want to hike every peak in the white mtns that has a trail to it, but then find these forums and discover the rest of the state and the 8 million more out there, ok give up on that and just focus on hiking what interests me.

Then there are the Personal lists I have developed on several scraps of paper that I i bang off a few every year, whether it be to do a trail, pond or peak. In the past I was hiking all the ski areas, then I realized there a ton of them, gave up on that, then the fire tower list but am not doing the Bushwhack ones, just the main ones with trails to them, then I wanted to hike all the ravines, but never finished that, then I wanted to red line but not the crappy ones, like the link trail, then I wanted to hike all the ponds, still working on that one, but I keep finding more, then wanted to try bushwhacking, which I've done a few, but nothing big, I used to do alot of backcountry hiking, pursuing ridgelines, but stopped when I couldn't find a house sitter. I also was trying to do all of the hikes in Dan Doanes 50 best hikes book, then I was working on the book with an additional 50 hikes, then the AMC walks through forest preserves, which I still haven't finished 20 yrs later, then I got distracted with running the half marathon, then just running in general, now I have a road bike and am kicking myself for not picking that hobby up yrs ago, since husband does it. Focused now on doing the road bike around the perimeter of the state, so hiking this year may be less and more random. I find now that there is too much to do and that in the end it really doesn't matter, I'm trying to focus on doing hikes that interest me and are different, and those are the ones on my personal list that Ive developed.

These darn forums and Internet made me realize the vastness of peaks out there. I am beginning to think I was better off just looking at an amc map and planning hikes around those, but I certainly have been to alot of cool places! So, hence my sort of giving up on lists, but rather use them as guideposts, to pick a hike from and not get all crazy about it.

Like ive said before, I'm intrigued by grindboys book list, and just reading about how other people pursue llists. I think just hiking to fun, unique places is where I'm at with it at this point. The whole thing is crazy, we're just filling up time until that big dirt nap! Stay distracted I suppose and have fun doing it.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:14 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

hiking lady wrote:
Like ive said before, I'm intrigued by grindboys book list, and just reading about how other people pursue llists.

Funny you mention that. Currently I am working off a couple lists. I have a couple "100 greatest novels of all times" lists I have been reading off of, though of course there is a number of matching selections between the two. Of course the bigger, long term list I am working off of is the "1001 books to read before you die" list. :twisted:

http://www.listology.com/ukaunz/list/1001-books-you-must-read-you-die

Should keep me busy for a while (though so far my records/calculations indicate I am on track to read 118.2 books by the end of this year :D )

Of course, the entire point of this thread is about hiking lists. So in that regard...I am not doing any list anymore really. Oh sure, Greg has the various ones he is doing, and I of course accompany him on them. But I am at the point now I get out merely for the friendly companionship than anything else. I mean, I do participate in trip planning, but for the most part I don't sweat what we do (within obvious reason) since I only care about having fun with my friend. And of course I say friend in the singular sense since of my other 4 friends I have regular contact with one unfortunately lives in the boondocks of Western Mass and does not get out much anymore, one just gave up hiking completely, one I don't see much of anymore, and the last just makes a hundred excuses of why he won't hike with us anymore (yes, I mean Joe. :wink: )

I have always had a love/hate relationship that wavers back and forth. But even when doing them I always think of them with negative terms.

Brian

Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:50 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

This is really an interesting thread, it really brings out the HYOH deal -- I know we're all different, but the diversity is even greater than I would have thought.

Nice segue, by the way, Brian! I looked at that 1001 books to read. I'm not a HUGE reader, but I do a fair bit, and my tastes aren't in the middle of the mainstream but not SO unusual either, I don't think, and I'm amazed that I've hit only 8/1001, and 6 of those were for school at some point. Only the Tolkien did I read purely voluntarily.

GG, I do NOT mean to use a smiley deal, whatever we might call them. The eight followed by the ) does it automatically, I guess. So you're right that it should never happen with me! And for the Nature Walks book, I haven't yet "gone south" either -- I've hit the majority of NH/ME spots, but 0-fer on the MA. I think some of them are really supposed to be pretty nice though, Maudslay State Park and Plum Island, and they're still well N of actual Boston, so at some point I'm kind of excited to scope them out, actually.

Hardcore is hardcore. Que Wayne's World "So it's NOT just a clever name!"

hiking lady, your whole post is hilarious. I don't know if was supposed to be, but it was awesome.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:03 am

Don't forget, hiking, in theory, should keep the dirt nap away a little longer too. It'll be long enough already when the day comes.

It's amazing how few of those books I've read, but how many I've seen in movie form, many of which I had no idea were books to begin with, and I don't watch that many movies these days, maybe two a month. When I do read I don't bother with fiction anymore like I used to. For the most part there's too much stuff in the world I want to know about either by reading or experiencing before the aforementioned dirt nap to spend what time I do have reading something someone made up. I'm sure my English teachers and professors would roundly chastise me for feeling that way but I do! :D

Also amazing how 75% of the 1001 books are from the last century. People must have been terrible writers prior to 1900 to have only 1/4 of that list be from the first thousand years of novels being written and 75% from the last 100 or so.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next