Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Hiking around Portsmouth, NH area 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Hiking around Portsmouth, NH area
Hello everyone,

New to this thread. I wanted to see if anyone could give me some input on the following..

My GF and I are going up to Portsmouth, NH next week(3.23-3.27) for a mini vacation. We've never been in the area but are avid hikers/campers and wanted to know if anyone knew of any good hikes(higher elevations welcome) we can take on?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!,

Danny from NY :beer:

Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:55 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Hiking around Portsmouth, NH area
Others surely know more than I do, but as nice of a place as Portsmouth is, it might be about the worst in the state for real hiking and definitely doesn't have any "higher elevations" available.

It's nearby Mt Agamenticus across the border in Maine, which has some nice trails and clear views, but also an auto road and shall we say "modest" sub-700 ft elevation.

Pawtuckaway State Park isn't too far, and is probably the nicest hiking destination around. A full loop over N and S mountains is a nice day at around 7/8 miles total with nice variety in terrain, ponds, boulders, and a couple good viewpoints. The best view is from the fire tower on S mountain, 908 ft, and views are expansive but not really "mountainous" at all. The high point is N mountain, 1011 ft.

Either of the above will have plenty of easy info, maps, etc. with a google search.

While the real "hiking" isn't great around Portsmouth, there are some very nice easy walks, mostly along the coast. My personal favorite is Adams Point, which is a mostly level walk around a peninsula that juts out into the Great Bay in Durham (and not technically "coast" but quite nice on a good day).

Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:02 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Pretty much what he said. Besides Agamenticus and Pawtuckaway other decent hikes within half an hour or so would be Parker Mountain, Blue Job, Fort Mountain. All have good views and well travelled trails. Agamenticus is only 15 minutes from Portsmouth and has good views of the coast and north to the White Mountains on a clear day. Great for a sunrise or sunset too.

If you are willing to drive an hour or two then you'd get into the higher elevation hikes of the Lakes Region and White Mountains. There's still a lot of snow all over the state and with freeze and thaw cycles things are pretty hard and crusty right now so some light traction wouldn't be a bad idea.

Odiorne Point State Park right on the ocean has some nice walking trails and Petey's restaurant right up the street has great chowders and the best fried seafood Ive ever had and they catch their own lobsters so they're always fresh too. Top it off with some Annabelles ice cream in downtown Portsmouth to put back any calories you might burn during the hike! 8)

Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:15 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Hi Danny and GF, Welcome to this forum. Hope you enjoy your weekend and come back for more visits. NY isn't that far, unless you're from Buffalo or something. The two guys who just commented are a wealth of information, they know all the good local places. You should search and check out their trail reports, they both take good photos, so that will give you an even better idea of what to expect. Have fun!

Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:09 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice!

Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:46 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

A nice low-elevation hike (which I heard about from Granite Guy on this forum) is the Little Harbor Loop: http://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/pdf ... il_map.pdf

Not a mountain but I still like it.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]