Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-) 
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Re: To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-)
bikehikeskifish wrote:
I bumped into him this August as he finished his first round of the 48 post-knee-replacement. I had Gryffin with me and I think that might have turned him off a bit - can't be certain of it.

Been my experience Ed doesn't like dogs on trails. I doubt it had anything to do with Gryffin per se.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:56 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Petch wrote:
All this Grid Madness has sparked my curiosity, so against all that makes me who I am, and in the spirit of conformity and calamity, I filled out the sacred scroll. I'm at 31.3%.

I think Crazy Bob is at 31.6% ;)

Seriously though, I was right about 30% as well when I filled one in "just to see how it felt." That's how it starts, Petch. Then pretty soon you've got a 2 pack-a-day..er...peak-a-day habit.

Petch wrote:
I'm not obsessive, but I am a goal oriented person: I try to eat bacon every day, and in general try not to be a bad person.

Petch

Good people might leave some bacon for everyone else (not to say I don't admire your unique goal and ability). ;)

Hope Owls Head was a good one!

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:08 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Scott, I think CrazyBob is probably in the upper 30 %'s. He's like me where he's done a lot of peaks in the same month over and over.....

We also talked about doing some variations of existing lists:
- The Anti-Grid: the grid, but hike within 5ft of the summit and turn around
- The Drag 48: Full drag with wigs, make-up, dresses, etc.....
- The Winter Drag 48: Same as above except in Winter- still working on some Micro-spike prototypes that will fit on 4" pumps. No need for Televators.
- The Couch 48: Find a nice couch, and haul it to the top of every peak. Perhaps a nice sectional.
- The Potty 48: Haul a Porty Potty to the top of every peak.

There are others, I simply won't repeat here.

ybnormal
Petch

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:55 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Petch, That's great! I actually did read somewhere about some guys dragging a couch up the Ammo. Don't know how true that was, but just the idea of it had me laughing. Make sure you all wear warm leggings underneath your dresses for the winter 48! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:07 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I once saw a group of frat guys drag sheets of plywood, trash barrels and 4 30 racks of Keystone (ouch) to the top of Moosilauke. Does that count?

NH 4k Single winter season 14'-15'
NE 67 58/67
Grid 198/576
http://www.viewsoftheshire.com

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:12 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Those ARE great ideas. . .

(for somebody else).

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:16 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Petch wrote:
Scott, I think CrazyBob is probably in the upper 30 %'s. He's like me where he's done a lot of peaks in the same month over and over.....

- The Winter Drag 48: Same as above except in Winter- still working on some Micro-spike prototypes that will fit on 4" pumps. No need for Televators.
- The Couch 48: Find a nice couch, and haul it to the top of every peak. Perhaps a nice sectional.

ybnormal
Petch

Crazy Bob could do the "I did 25 miles before 7 AM Pushup Contest 48." 47 to go. :)

Aren't you responsible for a couch on at least one summit somewhere or am I imagining that (which is entirely plausible)?

There are so many good versions of doing the 48, aren't there? Maybe it is time for the inflatable pink flamingo to rise like a phoenix from the ashes and continue its quest. It is written.

As far as the "anti-grid" goes, similarly, there was a thru-hiker on the AT in 2000 that went back and forth from Maine to Georgia a couple times (yo-yo'ing) but allegedly he wouldn't tag either Katahdin's nor Springer's summits. He went by "Gypsy Rose." Lived in a tent in the woods near Hampton, TN when not hiking. He was a well known character at that time in the AT community. Speaking of personalities to "grid," take a look at a cross section of thru-hikers sometime. Never a dull moment.

To bring this back to gridding, at this point, with the 50th person having recently completed this, I am surprised I have not yet heard about the speed record for the grid. That has an interesting calendar limit though as it could not be done in less than 10 months + a certain number of days.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:12 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

I'll throw my 2 cents in. I see the grid as more a life time achievement award but not something to be persued over a small 3 or 4 year period. But like GG said hike your own hike.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:18 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I think doing the grid in 12 consecutive calendar months or one calendar year (either way) can be done, but it requires extreme work-life-hiking flexibility. The closest I've ever heard of personally is Jason Beaupre doing 7 rounds in 2014. He finished the grid in December.

Tim

Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:21 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

bikehikeskifish wrote:
I think doing the grid in 12 consecutive calendar months or one calendar year (either way) can be done, but it requires extreme work-life-hiking flexibility. The closest I've ever heard of personally is Jason Beaupre doing 7 rounds in 2014. He finished the grid in December.

Tim

When I first heard about the grid, I swear that's what I thought it had to be, Now that would impress me. :wink:

Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:16 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Petch wrote:

I don't know if I ever mentioned these here, but a couple of ideas for lists:

One and Done: Choose one mountain and hike it. List done. In the case of Zealand Mt., it would be 0.1 and Done. :lol:
Potty Peaks: Similar to Petch's idea above, but this would be peaks with existing loos (Kearsarge North, Pack Monadnock, Cabot...)

Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:45 am
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Raven wrote:
Petch wrote:

ybnormal
Petch

Crazy Bob could do the "I did 25 miles before 7 AM Pushup Contest 48." 47 to go. :)

Aren't you responsible for a couch on at least one summit somewhere or am I imagining that (which is entirely plausible)?

There are so many good versions of doing the 48, aren't there? Maybe it is time for the inflatable pink flamingo to rise like a phoenix from the ashes and continue its quest. It is written.

As far as the "anti-grid" goes, similarly, there was a thru-hiker on the AT in 2000 that went back and forth from Maine to Georgia a couple times (yo-yo'ing) but allegedly he wouldn't tag either Katahdin's nor Springer's summits. He went by "Gypsy Rose." Lived in a tent in the woods near Hampton, TN when not hiking. He was a well known character at that time in the AT community. Speaking of personalities to "grid," take a look at a cross section of thru-hikers sometime. Never a dull moment.

To bring this back to gridding, at this point, with the 50th person having recently completed this, I am surprised I have not yet heard about the speed record for the grid. That has an interesting calendar limit though as it could not be done in less than 10 months + a certain number of days.

Scott, we have always talked about a couch-peak, but never done it. To me it's the shock-value of it. Imagine popping through the trees near a summit, and see a couple guys sitting down on a couch, puffing on a cigar, sipping scotch!
The flamingo thing was pretty funny for a while. The wackiest thing is both of those dang birds climbed Mt Rainier. CrazyBob and Jorge took them out there at different times. I remember Jorge telling the story- he asked the guide "Do you think it would be ok, if I took this flamingo to the summit?. The guide just gave him a weird look and said, "I don't see why not"! Then Jorge took one down to Patagonia, and some female acquaintence kept it (at least that's the tale I was told). The last one is in the trunk of a friends car at the moment. We take it out once in a while.

it's all for the fun of it
Petch

Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:56 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Can you make a general announcement if you're going to do this? I would love to see this!

Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:19 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

JustJoe wrote:
bikehikeskifish wrote:

Tim

When I first heard about the grid, I swear that's what I thought it had to be, Now that would impress me. :wink:

Has anyone seen what's going on over here yet? http://runsuerun.blogspot.com/

Sun May 01, 2016 10:11 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Im tired just skimming it!

Tue May 03, 2016 10:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next