Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-) 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-)
Kevin Rooney wrote:
Edit - there are alot of great Hiker Ed stories. One of the favorites he tells is how he came home one night after hiking for a few days, wondering where he wife was. Said he found a note from her reminding him that she and a daughter had left for a planned trip to France. Said it has completely slipped his mind. Now that's goal-oriented.

That is indeed singularly focused. A goal of mine is to never have anything like that in my hiking world get in the way of real life. I hope he wasn't supposed to go to France too. Missing out on a trip to France for a thousandth trip up a 4K might just make me quit hiking all together! :D

Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:47 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

On a more serious note, I thought about gridding and all that good stuff for a while, but I now have bigger ambitions as far as hiking and climbing go. I would like to head out west to bag some 14ers and whatever else tickles my fancy, but I will never be able to afford it if I head up to the Whites twice a week.

*Disclaimer: I'm paying for the trip out west with savings bonds. As it stands now, the trip is almost 100% paid for, but I cannot touch that money until July (when I plan to do the trip) if I want to go to CO/WY ect. If I get into gridding, those bonds will be gone way before July :? .

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:22 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

It's been brought up a couple times, so I'll mention that I don't think it would be a stretch to assume people who grid (or do long distance backpacking trails, or "complete" other hiking lists, etc) have certain personality types.

It takes certain personality characteristics to want to do a grid, to be able to plan to complete a grid, and to actually follow the plan through.

I don't much care for the A, B, C, D model of personalities, but gridders would mostly fall into "A" in that category IMO. I more tend to think Myers Briggs 64 types is a better reflection of personality. Which types would be represented of those? Who knows? I'd be interested in those results though. It takes certain traits to be hyper-focused on a very large goal over a long time period and make sure things continue to fall into place to complete that goal.

And yes, I think it's a different kind of driving force that may fuel gridders who try to complete it in 2-3 years (no judgment either way).

Regardless, I will throw two more thoughts into the mix of questions surrounding gridding:

1. People have questioned why anone would ever grid since it is viewed as a big, monotonous, repetitive goal. I suppose my question in response is what does it matter? Those who complete the grid fast have plenty of time for other goals as well. 100 peaks a year for 6 years leaves an awful lot of years of hiking to pursue 14ers, long distance trails, 8000m peaks, or 29,000 footers. It's not always at the exception of other goals. And people who work on it when they feel like it have already carved out that time.

2. I also would find it interesting to see the personality types of those people who (and no one here seems to be doing this FTR) actually get annoyed by other people's goals. I have seen people actually get irritated when they hear someone else is gridding. Why?

And as we have already determined, you have to have certain situations to make gridding fit your life. If I have 25 hiking days a year, I'm not gridding. If I couldn't be at the Kanc in an hour, I wouldn't grid. I'm in a situation where I have half of my weekends free to hike and that's what I choose 90% of the time. It makes sense for me in my situation and I actually am enjoying it. It's rare that I am not excited about gridding a mountain I've not seen in awhile or from a new route. And if I'm not excited, I pick something else.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:24 am

Raven wrote:
It's been brought up a couple times, so I'll mention that I don't think it would be a stretch to assume people who grid (or do long distance backpacking trails, or "complete" other hiking lists, etc) have certain personality types.

It takes certain personality characteristics to want to do a grid, to be able to plan to complete a grid, and to actually follow the plan through.

I don't much care for the A, B, C, D model of personalities, but gridders would mostly fall into "A" in that category IMO. I more tend to think Myers Briggs 64 types is a better reflection of personality. Which types would be represented of those? Who knows? I'd be interested in those results though. It takes certain traits to be hyper-focused on a very large goal over a long time period and make sure things continue to fall into place to complete that goal.

And yes, I think it's a different kind of driving force that may fuel gridders who try to complete it in 2-3 years (no judgment either way).

Regardless, I will throw two more thoughts into the mix of questions surrounding gridding:

1. People have questioned why anone would ever grid since it is viewed as a big, monotonous, repetitive goal. I suppose my question in response is what does it matter? Those who complete the grid fast have plenty of time for other goals as well. 100 peaks a year for 6 years leaves an awful lot of years of hiking to pursue 14ers, long distance trails, 8000m peaks, or 29,000 footers. It's not always at the exception of other goals. And people who work on it when they feel like it have already carved out that time.

2. I also would find it interesting to see the personality types of those people who (and no one here seems to be doing this FTR) actually get annoyed by other people's goals. I have seen people actually get irritated when they hear someone else is gridding. Why?

And as we have already determined, you have to have certain situations to make gridding fit your life. If I have 25 hiking days a year, I'm not gridding. If I couldn't be at the Kanc in an hour, I wouldn't grid. I'm in a situation where I have half of my weekends free to hike and that's what I choose 90% of the time. It makes sense for me in my situation and I actually am enjoying it. It's rare that I am not excited about gridding a mountain I've not seen in awhile or from a new route. And if I'm not excited, I pick something else.

I completely agree it takes a certain life situation to work on a grid. Even if I wanted to there's no way I could do it currently with the responsibilities a family with small children requires, or at least feel good about it. If I lived closer, or was retired and had all my other hiking goals accomplished and lots of free time, well, maybe, but that's still a big maybe basically because I just don't get it. I don't see it as a challenge, I don't see it as hardcore or anything like that and I don't see it as fun. But that's just me.

Which brings me to your question in thought 1. Really, it doesn't matter, in the sense that I don't care one way or another what someone chooses to do with their time. But since I'm killing time on a forum why not try and understand it. I've read and reread Forest and Crag to try and get the history and a better understanding of hiking in the northeast so why not try and get this growing aspect of it too? And to that point why do many gridders seem personally offended or mad that people don't get it and simply ask them why? Really I'd love to know what makes Hiker Ed tick. What drives someone to keep hiking the same mountains over and over and over with all that's out there in the world?

Thoughts on #2...It may just boil down to personality types but I don't think its type A vs B or whatever. I'm a pretty goal oriented list hiking peak bagging hiker if I have the chance I think. I'm chasing the NE111 and when all the list I care about are done I make my own lists like the Acadia 26 or 1000 footers on the eastern seaboard or whatever and use those as well as how much time I have and where the weather is best for direction when planning hikes. I keep pretty good records but I don't rush home to a spread sheet to fill things in immediately and it may be a rainy day where I catch up on months of hikes at a time. Maybe this is actually type A vs B but it seems to me that people who like repetitive tasks in the comfort and ease of what they already know are one type of hiker and people who are alway wondering what's over the horizon and what new and exciting is out there are another. I get excited to see new scenery and new trails, my eyes glaze over at the thought of hiking Hale 12, 24, 36 or whatever times some people do it. Columbus and the world being round vs the flat map with nothing beyond the horizon. Is that A vs B? I only took one psych class in college and don't think I did real well! :D

Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:32 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I am not so sure. If I really wanted to do the Grid, I would. That says nothing about my personality to me. It would be more of a challenge than anything else.

What I think is that it boils down to having personal goals. What if the various lists weren't around (with patches for people to get)? I am sure some people would have certain things they want to do, and there would be various lists available. There's no patch for the NH500 but I am working on that. Am I neurotic? Maybe. It's what I want to do as a challenge to myself. I could care less what anyone says about that.

Greg

Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:10 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Reason for asking the question is just because it seems like a time consuming repetitive goal, vs. Redlining where that is also a large goal but varies since your doing different trails, but there may be some insanity in that as well. Plus i think the discussion brings people who normally don't participate in the forum out to share in the discussion. This place needed a bit of activity.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:14 am

HardcoreIdiot wrote:
I am not so sure. If I really wanted to do the Grid, I would. That says nothing about my personality to me. It would be more of a challenge than anything else.

What I think is that it boils down to having personal goals. What if the various lists weren't around (with patches for people to get)? I am sure some people would have certain things they want to do, and there would be various lists available. There's no patch for the NH500 but I am working on that. Am I neurotic? Maybe. It's what I want to do as a challenge to myself. I could care less what anyone says about that.

Greg

But you don't think what appeals to you and seems worth setting as a personal goal has to do with your personality? Both the Grid and NH500 have a similar amount of peaks on them but there's one I'd love to do if I ever have the time and one I'd never want to do even if I had the time and people probably don't randomly pick between the two.

Most of us hikers have some sort of personal goal or method to our madness but I think a lot of it has do do with personality types, I'm just not sure how exactly. Even when I set out to just wander a local conservation area I still am trying to see something new or how many of these spots I can visit or get some good pictures from a favorite spot or whatever and I think that has something to do with my personality and who I am, which is definitely type B I believe. Rarely do I just wander out with no thoughts at all on where I'm going or what I'm looking for and never do I feel the need to repeat something for no reason just to achieve some goal. Someone with a type A personality may feel the need to charge to the biggest mountain they can find over and over to get the same sense of achievement and satisfaction others can get from a wander in the woods and what I like is boring or beneath them or not enough of a goal/challenge or whatever. Just more food for thought.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:37 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Point conceded, GG.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:09 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

What I have come to believe about personality and us hikers is that regardless of whether we are gridding, redlining, bushwhacking peaks, bushwhacking ledges and waterfalls, or just walking somewhere out there because it's new or because it's a place we like to return to, as a group, we have many more similarities than differences.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:11 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

You know, if the 12x48 grid is not enough, you can always do the 4K every day or the 366 grid. Imagine climbing Tecumseh on every calendar day of the year!

http://www.48x12.com/everycalendarday/4keveryday.html

Tim

Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:47 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Granite Guy wrote:
Kevin Rooney wrote:
Ed regularly informs the hiking community when he reaches certain goals. Not everyone does, however.

... so what drives him? Even if I could see doing one grid as interesting, what makes him want to do 5 or 6 or whatever.

As it turns out, he actually answered this exact question in an AMC interview about 12 yrs ago (from the 'Net, I've streamlined it just a bit here):

"Hawkins, who has been hiking for just over a decade, recently became the second person to summit each of New Hampshire's 4,000-footers in every month of the year. That's right, he's scrambled up each of the 48 peaks in rain, snow, sun, and sleet ... Why does he do it? "It's fun," the New Hampshire native muses, with classic New England understatement. "It's good exercise, it's a great social activity, and there's always some kind of reward. .... He's quick to point out that he doesn't just "tag the summit and leave"; he likes to explore, and occasionally even take a nap. ... And he isn't in it just for himself. A leader for the New Hampshire Chapter for seven years, he takes groups out about four times a month and instructs at the chapter's spring and winter skills workshops ... "I've always loved to be outdoors," says Hawkins, 56."

Apparently it's no more complicated than that! (Either that or there's really more than meets the eye and he just gave a vanilla response for publication ...)

Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:02 am

bikehikeskifish wrote:
You know, if the 12x48 grid is not enough, you can always do the 4K every day or the 366 grid. Imagine climbing Tecumseh on every calendar day of the year!

http://www.48x12.com/everycalendarday/4keveryday.html

Tim

That actually sounds way more interesting, as you can leave off the crap half of the list. I could definitely (ands have) hike The Presis, Bonds, Franconias repeatedly, although charting it all on a calendar or spread sheet seems like it would suck the fun right out of it.

wp_hiker2 wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:
Kevin Rooney wrote:
Ed regularly informs the hiking community when he reaches certain goals. Not everyone does, however.

... so what drives him? Even if I could see doing one grid as interesting, what makes him want to do 5 or 6 or whatever.

As it turns out, he actually answered this exact question in an AMC interview about 12 yrs ago (from the 'Net, I've streamlined it just a bit here):

"Hawkins, who has been hiking for just over a decade, recently became the second person to summit each of New Hampshire's 4,000-footers in every month of the year. That's right, he's scrambled up each of the 48 peaks in rain, snow, sun, and sleet ... Why does he do it? "It's fun," the New Hampshire native muses, with classic New England understatement. "It's good exercise, it's a great social activity, and there's always some kind of reward. .... He's quick to point out that he doesn't just "tag the summit and leave"; he likes to explore, and occasionally even take a nap. ... And he isn't in it just for himself. A leader for the New Hampshire Chapter for seven years, he takes groups out about four times a month and instructs at the chapter's spring and winter skills workshops ... "I've always loved to be outdoors," says Hawkins, 56."

Apparently it's no more complicated than that! (Either that or there's really more than meets the eye and he just gave a vanilla response for publication ...)

Funny he says it's a social thing, when if you read his bio many of his accomplishments are tagged with "Solo!".

Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:12 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Kevin Rooney wrote:
My truck has a license plate bracket not often seen on the East Coast - "Mt Whitney. The Rest is Downhill".

I have one of those too! Although, it's sitting in my apartment and not on the car. I'd put it on, but MA has an idiotic rule where you can't have even the corner of any part of the lettering on the license plate obscured (yes, this includes the phrase at the bottom). Many auto inspectors actually enforce it too... but don't get me started on the MA state inspection scam.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:07 am

madmattd wrote:
Kevin Rooney wrote:
My truck has a license plate bracket not often seen on the East Coast - "Mt Whitney. The Rest is Downhill".

I have one of those too! Although, it's sitting in my apartment and not on the car. I'd put it on, but MA has an idiotic rule where you can't have even the corner of any part of the lettering on the license plate obscured (yes, this includes the phrase at the bottom). Many auto inspectors actually enforce it too... but don't get me started on the MA state inspection scam.

NH has the same thing. I've always had frames with plastic covers over my license plate, and every time I get them inspected they just put them on the front seat, and then I go home and put them back on. :D

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:27 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
Funny he says it's a social thing, when if you read his bio many of his accomplishments are tagged with "Solo!".

For years, he ran AMC hikes, and for years, he ran "grid hikes" (had to get on his mailing list.) As his knees failed, and he slowed down, he only invited people willing to go at his speed. With the new knees, he's back at it again, although not inviting the full grid hikes list. If you've ever hiked with him, you know just how social he is. If you've ever run into him, he's always got chocolate to share, and if you bump into him in the parking lot, he'll always offer you a PBR in a bar bottle. He'll even tell you how to drink it ;)

I met him my first time up Isolation (his 45th). He introduced himself (was with Guy Jubinville) and later when I met him on the Davis Path, he introduced me to a family he'd adopted along the way - like we were old friends.

My first encounter with Ed

I bumped into him this August as he finished his first round of the 48 post-knee-replacement. I had Gryffin with me and I think that might have turned him off a bit - can't be certain of it.

Tim

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next