Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-) 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Re: To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-)
Granite Guy wrote:
Even the people who I thought might just like stirring up crap that I haven't met I've heard positive reviews on or they actually stopped by FOT48 to say hello (yes I mean Greg) and you think to yourself a real jerk wouldn't do that so I better rethink things that may have got off on the wrong foot long ago. :D

Except that Greg IS a jerk. But he is mine and Joe's jerk, so we love him anyway (can't really say he is Mike's and Bob's jerk anymore too since Mike is off being a rock star and Bob just got old and decrepit. :twisted: )

Brian

Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:43 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

So just to add something for perspective:

There seems to be an assumption that the grid has to be an obsessive pursuit. I'll just point out it does not need to be done quickly nor in repetitious fasion if one spends enough time hiking and some originality in planning.

My Mount Moriah dates on the grid span 14 years spread out in 2000, 2006, 2011, and 2014, involved 4 different routes, one spring snowshoe hike, one winter with crampons, one on a CM traverse in October drizzle, and one in summer while doing the AT. I've never hiked the Kenduskeag Trail nor the Moriah Brook Trail approaches, and want to, so I figure by the time I hike Moriah in all 12 months, it will be over 20 years or more, all the trails one to three times, and likely, in all the weather conditions. I'll have a good sense of that mountain by then but don't feel it necessarily has to be repetitive. If I complete the grid, I will know 48 mountains in a similar way. I realize other mountains have fewer approaches (and some have more) but I vary my hikes up in a few ways.

I was also someone who was 25% done before knowing what the grid was. I hiked the 48, then W48, then started hiking them in 4 seasons while returning to many favorites. I've hiked Passaconaway three times in March and was on Adams 5 times this past summer, none of which counted for the grid, so I'm not really addicted to it. I am addicted to hiking apparently.

I think there are various ways to approach even doing the grid from single-minded, goal-driven and fast as possible types, to those mixing it in with other pursuits and hikes, to lazily tossing dates on a grid sheet with no intention of doing it and then finding yourself a third done sometime.

Regardless, I think the time frame and variety of hikes involved is a consideration in the experience. They're all good as far as I'm concerned though.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:36 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Raven wrote:
My Mount Moriah dates on the grid span 14 years spread out in 2000, 2006, 2011, and 2014, involved 4 different routes, one spring snowshoe hike, one winter with crampons, one on a CM traverse in October drizzle, and one in summer while doing the AT.

Uh, we did it together in 2013. August 24, to be exact. A Carter-Moriah traverse including the BW to Lethe.

Tim

Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:53 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

bikehikeskifish wrote:
Raven wrote:
My Mount Moriah dates on the grid span 14 years spread out in 2000, 2006, 2011, and 2014, involved 4 different routes, one spring snowshoe hike, one winter with crampons, one on a CM traverse in October drizzle, and one in summer while doing the AT.

Uh, we did it together in 2013. August 24, to be exact. A Carter-Moriah traverse including the BW to Lethe.

Tim

Indeed we did, sir! And a great day it was, with an exception or two of no consequence now. But not a single peak that day counted for my grid. I just went with you guys to hike the traverse with such a cool and random group and what was clearly an impossible plan from the start. :) To be fair, Lethe counted for my TW list.

I had done the traverse already in August 2000 on the AT. I believe I only said summer in the previous post.

For a minute, I was excited that I may have been able to add a hike to my grid that I had missed, if I can be so open and vulnerable about my hiking. ;)

Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:18 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Raven wrote:
So just to add something for perspective:

There seems to be an assumption that the grid has to be an obsessive pursuit. I'll just point out it does not need to be done quickly nor in repetitious fasion if one spends enough time hiking and some originality in planning.

Certainly it can be a lifelong thing, and if you get close I suppose, well, why not add it to the list of accomplishments. It does seem however that most of the gridders I read about are the obsessive ones trying to do it as fast as possible, like Dasein seems to be suggesting he is. But I agree if you are doing it one way is no better than the rest.

Raven wrote:
I was also someone who was 25% done before knowing what the grid was...

...to lazily tossing dates on a grid sheet with no intention of doing it and then finding yourself a third done sometime.

Just for giggles I just charted my progress really quickly. In 19 years of hiking I am, without ever giving it a second of thought, at about 21% I still work on them with my wife and a couple friends occasionally for their first rounds of 48. Then I'd like to do them as a family when my kids are a little older. Even if those added up to another 100 check marks that only gets me to 221, or 38%. I'd have to find myself a hell of a lot close than that to ever give it a second thought! :D

Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:54 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

bikehikeskifish wrote:
One thing I've noticed is that most of the people who finish it aren't parents of at-home kids :) If I ever do finish it, I suspect it won't be until mine are at least in college.

Tim

On the other hand, some folks with kids still at home are getting suggestions from said kids to do this :lol: !

Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:56 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Moderators - Dump this if you think it is too political :lol: :lol: :lol:

Our latest Gridiot is Jeb Bradley (congrats, and I enjoyed the NHPR piece). Perhaps some Democrat (or Green Party of any others) will feel the need to REPRESENT :lol: and be the next Gridiot.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:00 am
Sovereign Woodsman

What do ya you know GG your already gridding and you didn't even know it! HA! :P

Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:02 am

Reason #??? (I have lost count) I could never do the grid is because I don't keep records. Well, I did for the NH48 (and badly at that as some I had to just fill in the month and year but could not remember the date). But I have not sent in for my W48 patch partly because, while I know I did all peaks in winter, I couldn't tell you the date (nor in some cases the month).

So for all I know I could be 50% through a grid and I would never even know it. :lol:

Brian

Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:25 am
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

All this Grid Madness has sparked my curiosity, so against all that makes me who I am, and in the spirit of conformity and calamity, I filled out the sacred scroll. I'm at 31.3%.
Lots of interesting if not disturbing data: I've climbed Mt Adams 14 times, but only 6 different months. I've only climbed Moosilauke once!, it's a far drive......
I'm not obsessive, but I am a goal oriented person: I try to eat bacon every day, and in general try not to be a bad person.

So, I need Owlshead for January. Hell of Highwater, I'm bagging it this weekend! Who's with me???? :shock:

Petch

Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:30 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

bikehikeskifish wrote:
Hiker Ed just completed his 5th grid (48x12x5=2880).

Tim

I ran into Hiker Ed and Guy on Wednesday. They were just crossing the brook by the Cog station. They were coming off Jefferson and I Washington. Had fun discussing the merits of each others Tacomas. We don't hike together anymore, but still always buy Tacomas. Guy admitted he's sick of his American-branded truck and will get a Tacoma the next time around.

Ed has his sights set on more goals (no surprise). He's working on a SSW48 - 29 completed as of Wednesday, but today's Friday so there's probably more. IIRC, he did Whiteface & Passaconaway on Tuesday. Said he thinks he'll be first to do it with artificial knees. Working a new grid with new knees also.

Ed regularly informs the hiking community when he reaches certain goals. Not everyone does, however. Another frequent hiker completed his 5th round some months ago, and am reasonably sure he hasn't slowed down. He usually hikes alone.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:34 am

Kevin Rooney wrote:
bikehikeskifish wrote:
Hiker Ed just completed his 5th grid (48x12x5=2880).

Tim

I ran into Hiker Ed and Guy on Wednesday. They were just crossing the brook by the Cog station. They were coming off Jefferson and I Washington. Had fun discussing the merits of each others Tacomas. We don't hike together anymore, but still always buy Tacomas. Guy admitted he's sick of his American-branded truck and will get a Tacoma the next time around.

Ed has his sights set on more goals (no surprise). He's working on a SSW48 - 29 completed as of Wednesday, but today's Friday so there's probably more. IIRC, he did Whiteface & Passaconaway on Tuesday. Said he thinks he'll be first to do it with artificial knees. Working a new grid with new knees also.

Ed regularly informs the hiking community when he reaches certain goals. Not everyone does, however. Another frequent hiker completed his 5th round some months ago, and am reasonably sure he hasn't slowed down. He usually hikes alone.

It sounds like you know him reasonably well since you keep bringing him up, so what drives him? Even if I could see doing one grid as interesting, what makes him want to do 5 or 6 or whatever. Once you've done one or two it really is been there done that, or would seem to be.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:46 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Granite Guy wrote:
It sounds like you know him reasonably well since you keep bringing him up, so what drives him? Even if I could see doing one grid as interesting, what makes him want to do 5 or 6 or whatever. Once you've done one or two it really is been there done that, or would seem to be.

I wasn't aware I brought him up frequently. I've known him for many years, and like lots of others now say "I used to hike with Ed". I'm often in the mountains, although not a frequently as Ed, so it's inevitable our paths cross from time to time. We're also involved with the NH AMC Chapter, so our paths cross there as well.

As for what makes Ed tick? I wouldn't presume to really know, much less state a guess publicly.

As for me - I love being in the mountains, and some peaks are in triple digits. Do I intend to track them in grid fashion? No. I don't get too excited if others choose to though.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:35 am

Kevin Rooney wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:

I wasn't aware I brought him up frequently. I've known him for many years, and like lots of others now say "I used to hike with Ed". I'm often in the mountains, although not a frequently as Ed, so it's inevitable our paths cross from time to time. We're also involved with the NH AMC Chapter, so our paths cross there as well.

As for what makes Ed tick? I wouldn't presume to really know, much less state a guess publicly.

As for me - I love being in the mountains, and some peaks are in triple digits. Do I intend to track them in grid fashion? No. I don't get too excited if others choose to though.

My bad. Sorry. I saw Tims name and screen name in the quote and a dog avatar and confused too I was talking to. I should've remembered that Tim drives a Subaru not a Tacoma.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:20 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Granite Guy wrote:
My bad. Sorry. I saw Tims name and screen name in the quote and a dog avatar and confused too I was talking to. I should've remembered that Tim drives a Subaru not a Tacoma.

No worries. In a pinch you can squeeze more hiker types into a Tacoma than a Subaru. Managed to squeeze 11 into mine at the end of long hike several years ago after a Twins & Galehead loop. Went from the end of the road by Seven Dwarfs over to Five Corners. Winter gear and all.

My truck has a license plate bracket not often seen on the East Coast - "Mt Whitney. The Rest is Downhill".

Edit - there are alot of great Hiker Ed stories. One of the favorites he tells is how he came home one night after hiking for a few days, wondering where he wife was. Said he found a note from her reminding him that she and a daughter had left for a planned trip to France. Said it has completely slipped his mind. Now that's goal-oriented.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next