[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-)

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-) 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Re: To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-)

Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:43 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

So just to add something for perspective:

There seems to be an assumption that the grid has to be an obsessive pursuit. I'll just point out it does not need to be done quickly nor in repetitious fasion if one spends enough time hiking and some originality in planning.

My Mount Moriah dates on the grid span 14 years spread out in 2000, 2006, 2011, and 2014, involved 4 different routes, one spring snowshoe hike, one winter with crampons, one on a CM traverse in October drizzle, and one in summer while doing the AT. I've never hiked the Kenduskeag Trail nor the Moriah Brook Trail approaches, and want to, so I figure by the time I hike Moriah in all 12 months, it will be over 20 years or more, all the trails one to three times, and likely, in all the weather conditions. I'll have a good sense of that mountain by then but don't feel it necessarily has to be repetitive. If I complete the grid, I will know 48 mountains in a similar way. I realize other mountains have fewer approaches (and some have more) but I vary my hikes up in a few ways.

I was also someone who was 25% done before knowing what the grid was. I hiked the 48, then W48, then started hiking them in 4 seasons while returning to many favorites. I've hiked Passaconaway three times in March and was on Adams 5 times this past summer, none of which counted for the grid, so I'm not really addicted to it. I am addicted to hiking apparently.

I think there are various ways to approach even doing the grid from single-minded, goal-driven and fast as possible types, to those mixing it in with other pursuits and hikes, to lazily tossing dates on a grid sheet with no intention of doing it and then finding yourself a third done sometime.

Regardless, I think the time frame and variety of hikes involved is a consideration in the experience. They're all good as far as I'm concerned though.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:36 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:53 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:18 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:54 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:56 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Moderators - Dump this if you think it is too political :lol: :lol: :lol:

Our latest Gridiot is Jeb Bradley (congrats, and I enjoyed the NHPR piece). Perhaps some Democrat (or Green Party of any others) will feel the need to REPRESENT :lol: and be the next Gridiot.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:00 am
Sovereign Woodsman

What do ya you know GG your already gridding and you didn't even know it! HA! :P

Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:02 am

Reason #??? (I have lost count) I could never do the grid is because I don't keep records. Well, I did for the NH48 (and badly at that as some I had to just fill in the month and year but could not remember the date). But I have not sent in for my W48 patch partly because, while I know I did all peaks in winter, I couldn't tell you the date (nor in some cases the month).

So for all I know I could be 50% through a grid and I would never even know it. :lol:

Brian

Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:25 am
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

All this Grid Madness has sparked my curiosity, so against all that makes me who I am, and in the spirit of conformity and calamity, I filled out the sacred scroll. I'm at 31.3%.
Lots of interesting if not disturbing data: I've climbed Mt Adams 14 times, but only 6 different months. I've only climbed Moosilauke once!, it's a far drive......
I'm not obsessive, but I am a goal oriented person: I try to eat bacon every day, and in general try not to be a bad person.

So, I need Owlshead for January. Hell of Highwater, I'm bagging it this weekend! Who's with me???? :shock:

Petch

Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:30 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:34 am

Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:46 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:35 am

Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:20 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next