[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-)

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-) 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-)

Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:11 am

While I think hiking the grid 5x is certifiably insane (no joke) at least hiker Ed has used his hiking powers for good also, by Gridding the NE67, hiking other NH lists like high points, NH100 etc. The Godfather of gridding actually strays from the 4Ks, somethig that seems lost on many of the followers.

And then there's this tidbit from his bio. If this is what hiking the grid repeatedly ends up as you can add it to the list of reasons I'll never even start to fill in a spread sheet. God forbid I find out I'm within striking distance some day and decide to finish it off.

12-11-2013 Total knee replacement. Left knee
02-12-2014 Total knee replacement. Right knee

Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:09 am
Sovereign Woodsman

What case is that exactly, Joe? Seems like the premise of this thread is to bring down gridiots or to build up non-gridiots. I don't think I've ever heard of a gridiot berating someone for not pursuing the grid.

Tim

Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:20 am

I won't speak for Joe or anyone else but my reason for starting this thread was simply to try and "get" it. I was hoping someone could articulate why this has become so popular or why they bother doing it themselves for the Gridiots amongst us. There's nobody to "bring up" or "bring down" as nobody's method of hiking is better than anyone else's or more hardcore or whatever IMHO. Almost any of us who wanted to could accomplish any of the others hiking accomplishments with enough time and desire. I don't want to do that list (or a bunch of other lists for that matter) but I like hiking and knowing as much as I can on the subject of northeast hiking so thought I'd ask the question and try and understand why other do, and not just do, but obsessively do. So what am I missing?

The best and most honest answer I've got so far is Ian, which was where he looked at it initially and said that's is hardcore and I want to do it, and now is at a point where he realized maybe it's not so hardcore but is close enough it may as well be a goal to finish it eventually. The other answers of if you don't get it you won't get it seem to be telling the rest of us you're just not capable of grasping this thing we do called the grid and we can't really say why we do it.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:58 am
Sovereign Woodsman

What I'm assuming for reasons that people are doing it could be various, including:
1. Doing the 4 seasons, after having done the general 48, and possibly winter 48 you figure, ah why not just fill in the blanks, since I'm already well on my way.
2. It is a list
3. It's trendy and what a bunch of people are doing at the moment and likely would
not be if it wasn't on a list.
4. It is a huge sense of accomplishment for someone given its vastness, boosting ones ego for having suffered through it and won the beast, irregardless of its easiness.
5. It is likely done by a certain personality type.
6. It becomes an obsession like any list. I certainly was this way when I did my 48 when I got to the halfway mark, it consumed me.
7. It is soothing for some to click that peak off over and over again, sort of the candy crush or Farmville (neither of which I play fwiw) and winning, or getting to the next level of the game. The reward center of the brain goes ooh, ahh I would assume.
8. I think for some repeaters of the grid it is an escape from life's problems, or ones inner demons, or to mull over ones issues or to numb and block them out like a drug, because likely there is some type of endorphin rush after you done your 6000th peak.
9. A person is completely numb and devoid of any feelings to doing such a task, therefore it is not a task. They don't feel good, bad, but are indifferent and are just filling up time until the big dirt nap comes along, because that's what we are all doing isn't it? Killing time....
10. Or doing it just because it is there.

I would guess there would be burnout and the test of wills comes with pushing through that feeling of I cannot hike hale again! And a sense of ahh I did it despite the boredom, weather, cold, mud, snow, rain, people, etc.

I do find it interesting that we have mostly heard from non gridders,and only a few actual gridders. Curious that the thread brought out the rare visitors to comment, who aren't doing it rather than more of the actual gridders. I realize this was a hundred page thread on vftt, but like I said earlier it seemed more like a comparison of where are you at in the grid rather than a this is why I am doing it thing. My guess is, the gridders are either not reading this or are saying g none of your business, or who cares, or we've already discussed it ad nauseum and you others will never get it.

Good discussion though, and I'm with GG, it's not to criticize the people doing it, it is to UNDERSTAND it. Nuf said!

Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:20 am

Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:11 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I think what Ed has done is fantastic. Good for him. It will be a long time before anyone is going to catch up with him. Or want to for the matter of some opinions. I think it is very impressive though. Just like the gentleman who climbed Monadnock for so many uears. Anyone know his name? It has escaped me...

NH 4k Single winter season 14'-15'
NE 67 58/67
Grid 198/576

Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:10 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

As another that is certainly aiming to someday finish the grid, allow me to add a few comments to the discussion. For me, when I first started hiking the 48 15 years ago, I heard about people that had done them in winter. "Crazy people!" I said. But it got me wondering back then, without having heard of the idea from anyone, if perhaps the next step beyond that insanity would be to do all 48 in each month of the year. Fast forward to 2011 when I started hiking again, and that thought was still hovering there in the back of my mind. But first I really wanted to revisit a lot of the 4Ks since it had been quite a few years since I had done most of them, plus I did them all with my dad. I kind of wanted to strike out on my own if you will. During that, I found out that hiking all 48 in each month was actually a thing, not just a crazy thought that I had come up with, and there were a handful of people that had in fact done it! Once I started winter hiking, of course I figured I'd track my progress towards this goal, and perhaps complete it someday.

But I'm in no rush. If the weather looks rotten, I generally stay home. I'm not going to drive 3+ hours each way to hike a 4K (viewless or otherwise) in the pouring rain merely because I "need" it (hiking in lightly-falling snow is a different matter, I actually enjoy that to an extent, it's very peaceful). I'll go another day, and I have plenty of other things that need doing back home. If/when hiking a NH4K starts to feel like work (and it does occasionally), I go "off-grid" so to speak and hike something/somewhere else for a little while. Hiking shouldn't feel like work, and like has been said here, there are lots of other great places to explore. I've done the 67 and the NEHH in the last couple of years, and there are several other collections (some lists, some not) that I want to visit (for example the ADKs, redlining at least to an extent, etc).

My Trip Reports:

Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:26 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I bet that the likelihood someone will not go somewhere else, or that they really need a particular peak in a particular month, accelerates as that someone approaches completion. I know a few people who are trying to complete the grid this year, and they are kind of obsessive about it.

Jeb Bradley was the last completer and he needed Adams + Madison in January for an entire year just to finish--was denied for weather the previous January.

Personally, I'm down to Jefferson -> Jackson and Zealand and the Bonds for January, but so far, the weekends have not provided me with a day worthy of any of those peaks, and so they remain unclimbed in January for now. That and I am more interested in going to my son's basketball games on Saturdays than I am in coloring a speadsheet square green.

To keep this conversation going... why does anyone posting here feel the need to understand the grid? Do you feel that way about other things? Like completing the 48 in four seasons? In winter? At all? ...

Tim

Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:26 pm

Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:12 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

I've commented before but will add some thoughts. Like Tim, I am doing the grid.

I suppose the first point is that every time I hike a mountain, it is a different experience. That is more pronounced when one changes months. So, in my experience, gridding is not repeating the same hikes 12 times. I vary up the trails anyway when I can which makes for more variation.

So, will I hike Mount Tom on a day I feel like gridding is a chore? No...those days I tend to wander the Northern Pressies. I never tire of them.

I keep track of multiple lists but I hike because I love the mountains. I also love data, maps, mileages, directions, and having and accomplishing goals. The grid and other lists fit well into that model.

And sometimes I just BW to some cool spot or hike to Lookout Ledge, Dome Rock, or the Quay because I feel like it.

I want to see someone grid in one calendar year and I believe it can be done...with some luck and no job.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:28 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:08 pm

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:17 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I think there was very few people here who felt the need to understand the Grid. I can definitely understand some peoples feelings on it; its like doing the 200 or even the 300. Do I honestly think if there was no list, I wouldn't have done what Ive done (or continue to do)? Probably not. It became a challenge to me and fun. It's probably the same way for the "gridiots", who have the same misconceived notion the NEBW folks had at one time or another. Whether they are that way or not, it doesn't matter.

I think more often than not, its hard to convey ones opinions on matters such as this which is why GG mentioned my name on this thread. We all have our thoughts on the issue and I don't think anyone is trying to "push" their agenda on anyone. At times, we can all be a bit pigheaded.

Hike whatever you want, do whatever you want. Its all good as long as you're having fun.

Greg

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:19 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Why not? It just seems odd but I use to think that about bw'ing.
I don't get alot of things in life though, but it just appears boring, tedious, long and that has me wondering why. Probably great if your retired and don't care about anything else.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next