Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

 

 

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

       
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:50 pm



Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-) 
Author Message
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:31 pm
Posts: 179
Location: Deerfield NH
Reply with quote
 Re: To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-)
Every single weekend a grinder will go out regardless of weather to bag as many peaks as possible. I know that it is constantly a matter of pushing oneself as far as possible every time you have to he moment to go hiking. It is exhusting and sometimes I wake up not wanting to go but I always try to and I always feel better at the end of the day when I do. If you can not understand that some folks do take it very seriously and it is and endurance challenge than I am going to fail to convince you otherwise.

_________________
NH 4K 48/48 03/01/14
2nd round 48/48 11/01/14
3rd Round 48/48 03/15/15
NH 4k Single winter season 14'-15'
NE 67 58/67
Grid 198/576
http://www.viewsoftheshire.com


Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:48 am
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman

Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:23 pm
Posts: 2261
Location: Lakes Region, NH
Reply with quote
 Re: To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-)
Yeah your right I probably won't get it. Yeah I do get sick of my spouse if I have to spend too much time with him, hence we tend to do things both together and separately, I do vary my drive to work because I am ready to jump off a cliff if I have to drive crappie Meredith center road one more day. Yeah I do get sick of my house and will redecorate it to change the monotony.

I'm not trying to criticize gridders, I'm just trying to get it. My biggest beef with it is erosion of the trails with the amount of people doing it. I think it truly comes down to personality of some people liking routine and it is safe versus changing it up because a person's brain needs that. My father n law is a gridder of sorts. He has been walking the same damn 3 mile loop for oh like 30 years, every single day, no matter what the weather, except when he broke his hip falling on the ice while walking his loop. He keeps a spreadsheet of his mileage, and if is off he does extra to "catch up." This could require him walking 6 miles in one day as opposed to 3 miles. He would be a guy that would love to grid if he hiked. He never, ever varies the walk and when asked why not, he just gets that deer in the headlights look of "now why would I do that!" I certainly commend anyone who succeeds in accomplishing such an undertaking, I just think that NH has so much more to offer I guess. I would feel like I am missing out on all the other stuff that is out there. I feel like I have this window of time on Earth and I want to do as much as I can in the small amount of time that I have in a lifetime. Sort of like working all the time, I'm sure if I was a workaholic and was looking back on my life I would regret having worked so much and maybe missed out on other important things. I guess I
see it like a Nascar race, going round and round over and over.


Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:47 pm
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:56 pm
Posts: 1442
Location: Canaan, NH
Reply with quote
 Re: To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-)
dasein wrote:
Every single weekend a grinder will go out regardless of weather to bag as many peaks as possible. I know that it is constantly a matter of pushing oneself as far as possible every time you have to he moment to go hiking. It is exhusting and sometimes I wake up not wanting to go but I always try to and I always feel better at the end of the day when I do. If you can not understand that some folks do take it very seriously and it is and endurance challenge than I am going to fail to convince you otherwise.


As one who is currently filling in the blanks, I'd say that this isn't necessarily true for all "Gridders". If it's 40 degrees and raining all day, I'm not going to hike. I have too many other things to do. I enjoy a good grind but unless I'm meeting someone I will often pass when the weather is crappy. I will agree with you that no matter what I always feel better at the end of the day after a good hike. :D I just don't get the point of running up Stoney Brook Tr to tag Moriah then head off to Cannon when one could take Moriah Brook Tr then visit Shelburne Moriah on the way back around. I'm seem to have an unusual stance on this subject.

_________________
Ian


Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:04 pm
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:40 pm
Posts: 1943
Reply with quote
 Re: To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-)
hiking lady wrote:
My biggest beef with it is erosion of the trails with the amount of people doing it.

Well, that's quite telling. Perhaps you are not aware of the fact that most of the trails (more correctly, most of the popular trails) in the Whites are "maintained" by gridiots. Unlike Maine, where even the AT to the four-thousand footers was a blowdown and route-finding nightmare, the Whites are generally kept blowdown-free. You can thank your local gridiot for that - many of them (myself included) carry a pruning saw or hatchet and remove obstacles in the trail. In the summer months, many take the time to kick out clogged water bars, or move rocks back into position, or educate other users of the trails about minimizing impact. Being regular users of the trail system makes one take a personal attachment to them - almost like keeping your own yard neat and clean. Many routinely report problems via the various trail conditions methods so that trail maintainers know what things need their attention (items too big to handle by one hiker.) Many picked up the memorial flags that were left all over the Whites in 2013. Arguably, they are making the way safer for the ever-increasing number of new winter hikers, who are not prepared for the blowdown messes and route-finding challenges that come with winter hiking. In short, I suspect they are making things better than worse.

hiking lady wrote:
I guess I see it like a Nascar race, going round and round over and over.

Except it is quieter, healthier than watching a NASCAR race, and probably lower impact to the global environment.

Tim

_________________
Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep, Eat, Fish, Repeat


Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:10 pm
Profile
Hiking Forums Are My Crack
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:37 pm
Posts: 7137
Location: Exeter, NH
Reply with quote
 Re: To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-)
Why are so many "Gridiots" afraid to admit they're doing the Grid? They usually say they're "just keeping track" but not actively pursuing it. I don't see that as possible. If basically all your hikes are on the NH48 and you keep a checklist and plan hikes by month etc. why kid yourself? This isn't something that just happens to everyone eventually by accident. It's almost like many are ashamed of it. No reason to be mind you, just an observation. You can't be a little bit pregnant. Either you have the checklist going or you don't. I don't know the cumulative total of the 48 I've hiked or what months I've hiked them in but if I was plotting it out and ever planned a hike around it I'd say I was doing the grid.

I think the much larger use of and adoption of trails in the Whites has more to do with them being in better shape than the ones in Maine than anything else, although I've done my share of hiking in Maine and never noticed any problems on the main routes worse than what I've seen in the Whites. Just that the trails in NH on the 48 are much more eroded and worn down from heavier foot traffic, gridders or not. Who's gridding Reddington and keping that herd path in tip top shape?


Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:45 pm
Profile
Hiking Forums Are My Crack
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:39 am
Posts: 5664
Location: Not Mass 8)
Reply with quote
 Re: To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-)
Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion/feeling about "The Grid", so I will not debate it. 8)

The NH48 is the easiest list in New Hampshire. I say this for several reasons.

1. It's the most well known and attempted. Given that, there's more information at one's finger tips. Be it books or the internet.
2. On the grand scale of things, these 48 peaks are all clumped together. One, making them easily accessible from all directions. Two, very easy to plan and coordinate multiple peak, even multiple hike days. Give your slightly above average hiker a week in the Whites and he or she could probably come close to doing half.
3. I'm sure we've all complained about trail maintenance from time to time but let's face, the trails to all 48 are well signed, blazed, maintained, and documented. Following a few basic guidelines like ahhh reading, and pretty much anyone can do this list unassisted.
4. Because it has become so popular, those who feel the need to hike with others can almost be guaranteed they can find someone to hook-up with on any given Saturday.

I could go on but it is for these reasons that as far as I'm concerned, it is the easiest NH hiking list. Add to that, by round 2 or 3, there's barely any thought process that needs to go into planning a hike. What do I need for this month? "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe"

I did the W48. Almost half solo. My honest opinion of what I did was hike the easiest list with snow on ground. In this day, no great feet. On another forum, you've got people asking for others GPS tracks to help complete the list. And getting it. Yup, just too damned easy to bag these peaks, these days.

So where am I headed with this? It's simple for, me. I see no challenge, or would get no gratification, nor sense of accomplishment for, hiking the easiest list, 12 times.

And yes, I do get sick of stuff. During my 15 years of between steady relationship days. It was tough giving up the bachelor life. :D I worked 2 jobs. For quite some time, at least twice a month, I literally would make 10 pounds of american chop suey on Sundays. Having it for both lunch and supper all week. Sick of it? Oh yaaa! And couldn't look at it for years. So I certainly would get sick doing the same hike over, and over again. And I do read the reports in various places seeing that many of the Gridiots do, do that exact same hike to all 48. Be it the easiest or fastest. Some could just copy and paste from one month to the next. So how that is not boring is well beyond my comprehension.

If you're doing it, and happy, more power to you.

I'll end with this. I started hiking at roughly at 45, I'm 61 now, I just don't have the time to waste. 8)

_________________
Adventure is not a race. - Unknown


Last edited by JustJoe on Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:49 pm
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman

Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:23 pm
Posts: 2261
Location: Lakes Region, NH
Reply with quote
 Re: To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-)
JustJoe wrote:
Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion/feeling about "The Grid", so I will not debate it. 8)

The NH48 is the easiest list in New Hampshire. I say this for several reasons.

1. It's the most well known and attempted. Given that, there's more information at one's finger tips. Be it books or the internet.
2. On the grand scale of things, these 48 peaks are all clumped together. One, making them easily accessible from all directions. Two, very easy to plan and coordinate multiple peak, even multiple hike days. Give your slightly above average hiker a week in the Whites and he or she could probably come close to doing half.
3. I'm sure we've all complained about trail maintenance from time to time but let's face, the trails to all 48 are well signed, blazed, maintained, and documented. Following a few basic guidelines like ahhh reading, and pretty much anyone can do this list unassisted.
4. Because it has become so popular, those who feel the need to hike with others can almost be guaranteed they can find someone to hook-up with on any given Saturday.

I could go on but it is for these reasons that as far as I'm concerned, it is the easiest NH hiking list. Add to that, by round 2 or 3, there's barely any thought process that needs to go into planning a hike. What do I need for this month? "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe"

I did the W48. Almost half solo. My honest opinion of what I did was hike the easiest list with snow on ground. In this day, no great feet. On another forum, you've got people asking for others GPS tracks to help complete the list. And getting it. Yup, just too damned easy to bag these peaks, these days.

So where am I headed with this? It's simple for, me. I see no challenge, or would get no gratification, nor sense of accomplishment for, hiking the easiest list, 12 times.

And yes, I do get sick of stuff. During my 15 years of between steady relationship days. It was tough giving up the bachelor life. :D I worked 2 jobs. For quite some time, at least twice a month, I literally would make 10 pounds of american chop suey on Sundays. Having it for both lunch and supper all week. Sick of it? Oh yaaa! And couldn't look at it for years. So I certainly would get sick doing the same hike over, and over again. And I do read the reports in various places seeing that many of the Gridiots do, do that exact same hike to all 48. Be it the easiest or fastest. Some could just copy and paste from one month to the next. So how that is not boring is well beyond my comprehension.

If you're doing, and happy, more power to you.

I'll end with this. I started hiking at roughly at 45, I'm 61 now, I just don't have the time to waste. 8)


Thank you Joe, that is the best answer I've heard and I think I get it, err....somewhat.

As for trail maintenance, I'm thinking specifically of trails like Bunnell notch that is generally a wet trail and grassy and with all the foot traffic, not just gridders, but peakbagging in general, I think it has taken a beating. So, great for them if you all maintain it, but it doesn't take away from the fact that all that foot traffic takes a toll on a trail that may have at one time been lesser used. Just my opinion. No different than my angst with mile long cars parked on the parkway to hike the franconia loop. But that is a different thread.

I guess it just takes a little bit of insanity to do it.


Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:23 pm
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:11 pm
Posts: 2515
Location: In your underwear drawer
Reply with quote
 Re: To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-)
I woudn't say insanity. It doesn't take much to hike the same hikes over and over; after awhile it becomes routine or even like a job. I wonder if people would still do it if there were no patch or scroll, or bragging rights, to "entice" them.

Greg

_________________
http://hchikingnh.blogspot.com/


Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:44 pm
Profile
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:52 pm
Posts: 4700
Location: Goffstown Avatar:I love you, you love me!
Reply with quote
 Re: To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-)
I'll throw my .02 cents worth in and sort of add to what HL and Joe said.

First of all, yes yes, "Hike your own hike", we get that and I ain't criticizing people for what they do. This is just my personal feeling on the matter.

Now, I have said it before, and will keep saying it. To me, the grid is the hiking equivalent of watching paint dry. It has gotten to the point where, quite honestly, I only "congrats" people on finishing the 48 out of politeness and habit. It isn't a challenge. Has not been for a long time. Same for winter. "challenge" was back in the 80's. I know a couple people who were winter hiking back then, and they tell of how the only people who hiked in winter back then was really just AMC led groups, and even then sporadically at times. "challenge" was when the Kanc wasn't even paved all the way across, so doing those mid-Pemi peaks was a heroic effort.

What is more, I think the grid goes against the original spirit of the 48 founders intentions. The Fathers (well, Mother too :D ) of the 48 were tired of seeing huge masses of people cloistered on the Presis and Franconia Ridge and wanted to spread traffic out to other areas of the Whites, both for ecological, but for diversity sake as well. Get people out and exploring new stuff. Now we have come full circle and are doing the same 48 peaks. Over. And over. And over again. Yeah, you can vary routes differently, but rarely 12 different times for most of those peaks. And even then, 12, 24, 36 times ain't changing the uselessness of Hale, Waumbek, Zealand, etc. etc. etc.

So yeah, while there are 4K's I will gladly visit multiple times (but even then within limits of interest), I could never do the grid. Not for physical reasons (lets face it, people of every age from pre-teen to near 100, and every body type from obese to trail runners do the 48 every year and the numbers are rising), but for sanity's sake. :wink:

Brian


Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:36 pm
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:40 pm
Posts: 1144
Location: Earth
Reply with quote
 Re: To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-)
How about an 8,000ers grid :twisted: ?

*8,000ers being all the mountains in the world above 8,000 m (26,246 ft) high. All in the Himalayas.

_________________
NH4K: 48/48 (Completed 10/4/2014)
NE67: 67/67 (Completed 7/25/2016)
NE115: 74/115
NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100


Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:28 pm
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:21 am
Posts: 1818
Location: Lynn MA
Reply with quote
 Re: To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-)
I remember reading somewhere about the grid being "A lifelong pursuit" or something along those lines. I could see this as that. Gaining new friends, everyone trying to do the 48 and sooner or later(preferably later) over the years, and you all of a sudden see a few blank spaces left over. Bang! the grid. Choosing to do Middle Carter for the 9th time over Crawford for the first? I'm all set with that mind set. I can understand this tendency however. I used to play video games A LOT. I'd play some over and over again aiming for a better time, a better score. Nowadays, when I finish one, I cannot be bothered to play it again unless it has some sort of multiplayer aspect. Granted there are some great games that I could still just pick up and play for a bit. I still see the grid being doable in my life, just not anytime soon. It's a lifelong pursuit. Not something to be completed in a two or 3 years.


Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:12 pm
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:40 pm
Posts: 1943
Reply with quote
 Re: To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-)
One thing I've noticed is that most of the people who finish it aren't parents of at-home kids :) If I ever do finish it, I suspect it won't be until mine are at least in college.

Tim

_________________
Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep, Eat, Fish, Repeat


Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:18 pm
Profile
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:01 pm
Posts: 420
Location: Peoples Republic of Buxton,Me
Reply with quote
 Re: To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-)
Nope.

Well, if I loose my job, girlfriend, interest in all other hobbies, and win the lottery and have absolutlely have nothing else to do and have no financial obligations.......well maybe.

In the next 5 years, another 100 people will probably finish the grid. By then, there will be probably 10-20 who have double gridded....

how many more must die!!!!

It's all good, but spreadsheet hiking has no appeal to me....

Petch

_________________
Ascent list:http://www.peakbagger.com/climber/climblistc.aspx?cid=1767
All Pics:http://picasaweb.google.com/mpetcher/
NH 4k's: 48/48 :), NHW48: 48/48 :eek:, ME4k's: 12/14


Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:24 pm
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman

Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:23 pm
Posts: 2261
Location: Lakes Region, NH
Reply with quote
 Re: To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-)
New Hampshire wrote:
I'll throw my .02 cents worth in and sort of add to what HL and Joe said.

First of all, yes yes, "Hike your own hike", we get that and I ain't criticizing people for what they do. This is just my personal feeling on the matter.

Now, I have said it before, and will keep saying it. To me, the grid is the hiking equivalent of watching paint dry. It has gotten to the point where, quite honestly, I only "congrats" people on finishing the 48 out of politeness and habit. It isn't a challenge. Has not been for a long time. Same for winter. "challenge" was back in the 80's. I know a couple people who were winter hiking back then, and they tell of how the only people who hiked in winter back then was really just AMC led groups, and even then sporadically at times. "challenge" was when the Kanc wasn't even paved all the way across, so doing those mid-Pemi peaks was a heroic effort.

What is more, I think the grid goes against the original spirit of the 48 founders intentions. The Fathers (well, Mother too :D ) of the 48 were tired of seeing huge masses of people cloistered on the Presis and Franconia Ridge and wanted to spread traffic out to other areas of the Whites, both for ecological, but for diversity sake as well. Get people out and exploring new stuff. Now we have come full circle and are doing the same 48 peaks. Over. And over. And over again. Yeah, you can vary routes differently, but rarely 12 different times for most of those peaks. And even then, 12, 24, 36 times ain't changing the uselessness of Hale, Waumbek, Zealand, etc. etc. etc.

So yeah, while there are 4K's I will gladly visit multiple times (but even then within limits of interest), I could never do the grid. Not for physical reasons (lets face it, people of every age from pre-teen to near 100, and every body type from obese to trail runners do the 48 every year and the numbers are rising), but for sanity's sake. :wink:

Brian


Yeah, that is what I thought the purpose of the 48 was, seems to have been misguided. Well at least it keeps people off listless hikes!


Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:52 am
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:40 pm
Posts: 1943
Reply with quote
 Re: To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-)
Hiker Ed just completed his 5th grid (48x12x5=2880).

Tim

_________________
Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep, Eat, Fish, Repeat


Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:53 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Hike-NH.com based on STSoftware.