[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-)

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-) 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-)

Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:50 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: To Grid or not to Grid?? That is the question! ;-)
Yeah I would really love to understand it as well. Also why do people do it more than once? I'm of the opposing force of not liking to hike the same summit more than 1x, but with age I've loosened up on that and have been doing repeats. But didn't for years because I just wanted to experience different things, hence my confusion over the grid.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:45 am
Sovereign Woodsman

When I first discovered the Grid I was like "Wow that's hardcore!" and there were only 15 finishers. Now I'm more like "OK, this boils down to having enough time rather than anything else." and there are almost 50 finishers. I had already completed several rounds by helping friends, and Marlie complete thier any season 48. When I filled in the blanks, I was nearly halfway done, so why not make an effort.

I agree that there are more and better sights to see. Personally, I look forward to completing the WMNF Redlining more than The Grid since it will be a little bit of newness each time out. What I don't understand is why people keep hiking the same routes to the summit every time the check off a new month, especially in snow free months.

I've been hiking regularly for the last 15 years and have plenty of years left to finish it. Once my son is a little older we will probably shift more towards redlining and get to some of those awesome smaller peaks then hopefully his 48 which I will try to fit into my grid. I guess if you love the NH 4Ks then you love the NH 4Ks. :roll: FWIW, the ledges on Middle Carter aren't that bad. :D

I'll be curious to hear other's responses.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:45 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

As someone who is working on the grid I can tell you how I feel about it. When I first started the 48 list I was a much different person than I am today. Once I was done the regular list I was wondering what I could do. Knowing that I would still want to hike and loving the challenge it put my body through I decided to do them again.
Now I am interested in all of the New Hampshire and many other hiking achievements but the grid seemed like the monster to me so I put it in the forefront. I hope to do my NE67 and other challenges such as the single season winter 48 that I am working on now. While doing this I am keeping in mind my red line, and when I can connect a peak for the Trail Wright 72 then I do it. I plan to fly out to Colorado yearly to work on my 14ers. New Hampshire hiking is a passion of mine, but I also like playing games. The grid is the game I am playing right now. And I am having a blast.

NH 4k Single winter season 14'-15'
NE 67 58/67
Grid 198/576

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:26 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Of course I'm not gridding or anything close and don't ever expect to, or anything close.

But I kind of get it, I think.

I've done a TON that I never set out to do and initially thought was ridiculous. Such as the 48, even. And I'm certainly not redlining, but I AM having fun charting my progress, and adding a bump to my "accomplishment" adds a small something to any hike where I tread new trail. And I guess if I somehow managed to bump up around 80% or so in the future, maybe I'd make it a point to finish (although again I doubt this would happen).

So many/most of us have done the 48. And most of us kept on hiking! It's a terribly low priority, but I'd kind of like to have a 2nd look at the 48, although I'm only at 10 right now. And as you (GG) admit, a seasonal grid makes a certain amount of sense and would be fun. And then you realize that you're kind of doing it already, and you still love to hike, so if you can get out AND put a satisfying X in a spreadsheet, well that WOULD add an element of satisfaction to your day, right?

A couple specific things. For one, you've mention S Carter specifically as a peak you'd hate to revisit many times, and that "about half of those 48 are barely worthy of one visit." I know you'd admit to some hyperbole there yourself, but IMO the overstatement there is above and beyond (no altitude pun intended). Of course like Zealand and Galehead and E Osceola are weak but they're small side trips on good hikes. Even S Carter, while not a highlight itself, I liked the hike along the ridge of the CMT well enough and look forward to going back sometime, or tack it onto C Dome/Hight, not a big deal. Tecumseh's pretty good now, Starr King has a nice outlook and I guess there's a view I missed just past Waumbek (heck yeah I'll go back for that!), I enjoyed Owl's Head in a unique way, really Hale is the only one that I really didn't care for. So while I 100% agree that there are TONS of sweet sub-4k spots and peaks, IMO almost all 4k's have at least some repeat value.

The other thing is I know for myself and probably others, places like Acadia or the Adk's are just too far for day trips and kind of off the radar. And specifically something like the Adk's -- geez, I'd just SO feel like I was starting all over. I know nothing about the peaks, the trails, the roads, the everything. Absolute ground zero, and it would feel like starting over completely. To some people or even myself on some days, that might sounds exciting! But a lot of the time it just sounds tiring. Hiking itself is enough work!

All that said, I agree with a lot of your thoughts. I remember the "where have you NOT been" thread, and was absolutely shocked to see how many hadn't been to the Baldfaces, or Chocorua, or what. Almost every time I drive up 16 I'm a little bit temped to say "screw the plan, here I come, Chocorua!" And much like yourself I get psyched for new places more than repeats. But at the same time, I kind of get it.

And in the final analysis, I'm suspicious that it's simply a personality type/trait that drives some people to do things like the grid and others to disdain even the idea. Which probably means that, if you're not "that guy," you will never really understand.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:35 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Grind boy wrote:
[/qote]and in the final analysis, I'm suspicious that it's simply a personality type/trait that drives some people to do things like the grid and others to disdain even the idea. Which probably means that, if you're not "that guy," you will never really understand.[/quote]

This I agree with and your right we probably won't ever understand.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:42 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

A few years ago, there were two threads on VFTT ("You know you are a peakbagger", "You know you aren't a peakbagger") which probably explains this as well as can be explained. If you are goal oriented or a collector, then peakbagging appeals to you, and perhaps by extension the grid appeals to the uber goal-oriented or collectors. My story on the grid is "I'm not not doing it" in that I keep track but it doesn't drive every hike I've done. I've got 303 peaks of 576 but 350 total peaks on the NH 48 list.

I am nibbling away at the NH 3Ks and 52WAV and TW72.

With other obligations, the ADKs and Acadia are just too far - I get maybe 1 hiking trip per year, and I've used that for the NE67/NEHH.

Tim

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:02 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Nope. Not for me. Its way too monotonous. I like the randomness that I take to my hiking now. If I see something I want to hike/bushwhack, ill do it. Yes i am still tied to a list in some sort or fashion but im not doing the same few trails over and over again. Could I do the Grid? Sure i could. Anyone can. I just don't see the point.

Im generally in the camp that "what works for one, doesn't necessarily work for another."

Greg

Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:16 pm

Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:49 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

I'm doing it because there's a patch, duh.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:50 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

If I had unlimited time, I would consider doing it for the shock value. Just to see the look on people's faces who know how lazy and cold-phobic I am. I would love to hang a photo on the time clock of myself in full winter regalia 10 miles from the nearest road for all my co-workers to see!

All kidding aside, I am the type of person who doesn't want to miss out on any of the good stuff. Which is why I want to redline. And if I spend time in June trying to score a lot of peaks for the Grid, I may miss the Alpine Garden for the millionth time (unless I'm doing Washington that day).

And some days ya just wanna go swimming in Vermont or the covered bridge in Bath/Swiftwater.

Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:30 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I guess what has me perplexed is: what is the point? Don't you get sick of hiking the same peak over and over again? Don't you get bored? Don't you find it monotonous?? Doesn't it take away from other areas of your life like spouse, kids, friends, other pursuits? Do family complain your never around (if u have one) and that your hiking is more important than them? It strikes me as an addiction/obsession for some, particularly with the repeat gridders. Not to mention that it seems like the gridders also do a lot of other 4k lists simultaneously, which I realize you can kill 2 birds with one stone, but that just multiplies the pain of more repeats when you can't do a concurrent list. I should say for me personally that I don't get how people can hike week after week, even if they are not gridding, it is similar in my mind. By fall, after hiking all summer I am ready for a change. I have alot of hobbies and feel like there is never enough time to do them all.

I also felt like the thread on vftt didn't really answer it for me since it appeared it was more about comparing notes on where people were at, hence I gave up reading it.

Just my thoughts....

Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:58 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

The same could be said about the AT or any long trek or endurance challenge. Some folks can't wrap their minds around such large undertakings. If you can not see how the grid is a New Hampshire mountain marathon then I suppose it would seem dull and repetitive. Either way I enjoy the challenge of it and applaud anyone who is attempting it.

NH 4k Single winter season 14'-15'
NE 67 58/67
Grid 198/576

Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:44 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:32 am

Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next