Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Sawyer Pond camping? 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Sawyer Pond camping?
Im either heading to Sawyer Pond or Flat Mountain Pond this weekend for some relaxing tent camping.

You think Sawyer will be crowded this weekend? I like the easy 1.5 miles but don't mind the 4.5 to Flat Mountain Pond for some isolation

Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:19 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Also what about the prospects of Black Pond in Lincoln Woods or Greeley Pond? Do they have the room for 3 tents and water that can be filtered?

Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:24 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

If the weather is nice I'd expect every developed site, scenic trail and summit to be busy on Columbus Day weekend. It's also Canadian Thanksgiving weekend which doesn't help things at all. Finding solitude might be tough unfortunately. You'll probably have some neighbors no matter where you go.

There is no camping at all allowed in the Greely Ponds scenic area. None allowed within 200 feet of Black Pond.

Those, and all the other restrictions can be found here

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5363715.pdf

Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:16 am

I've seen people who obviously spent the night at BP at the opposite end from the trail. How for from it they were set up I've no idea. I myself wouldn't trust water from such a small body of water in such a dry time. Not being constantly refreshed and standing stagnant for a period of time could be an issue. Even with filtering and treating, if I were to stay there I'd probably fill up what I needed from the Pemi before heading in on the BP trail just to be safe. Since you're only talking a mile.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:36 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

I forgot it was Columbus Day weekend so I think the easy hikes are out and go to Flat Mountain Pond, got a stream of water to filter, chance for fishing and I'm banking it will be to cold to camp for that 4.5 mi distance. Really want to to Sawyer Pond but might wait till it's colder

Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:40 am

I haven't stayed there but have heard this is a great spot. I doubt you'd get much in the way of tourist campers up there. But there is the possibility of through-hikers though I suppose. Beautiful area.

Gentian Pond

At junction of Mahoosuc Trail (AT) and Austin Brook Trail
Campsite Mahoosuc Shelter, three single platforms, one double platform, composting outhouse

No fee, composting done by Mahoosuc Rover

Gentian Pond

Bearbox-Yes

Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:54 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

thanks,

lol, I always camp with the bear box

Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:11 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Has anyone been to Shoal Pond for camping, I would probably come from the North via Zealand Trail, love that hike to the Thoreau Falls

Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:42 pm

I know a great spot near Shoal Pond and Thoreau Falls the meets the 1/4 mile and 200' rules.

PM for location if interested.

Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:17 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Re: Sawyer Pond camping?
Looking to finally take my girl and my dog to Sawyer Pond at the end of September, I have read that there is bear activity at the campsites (though the post was 7 years ago) How is the site these days? I don't want a night where her and the dog have a freak out
I am looking to come from the North for the easy 1.5 miles from Sawyer River Road

The other choice was Tunnel Brook Trail coming from the South cause I know there is 0 activity over there but it is another mile hike in opposed to Sawyer Pond, want the hike in to be easy for them as they don't normally hike and camp

Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:15 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Also curious about any insight on this location. Might be doing an overnight the last weekend of this month.

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:26 am

I think almost anywhere in the state you aren't careful with food you're asking for trouble with the booming bear populations. I wouldn't say there's 0 bears around Tunnel Brook either. I'd actually bet there are plenty of them around there.

As for Sawyer Pond, haven't seen anything on it, but the Fourth Iron which is in the general area was actually closed for a while because of so much bear activity and just reopened recently. If you take the proper precaution and use a bear can or proper hang, no food or dirty dishes etc in your sleeping area etc I don't think you'll have a problem anywhere. If you don't you're rolling the dice pretty much anywhere in the state, especially with winter coming and them wanting to fatten up for it.

Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:20 am

RWills81 wrote:

The other choice was Tunnel Brook Trail coming from the South cause I know there is 0 activity over there but it is another mile hike in opposed to Sawyer Pond, want the hike in to be easy for them as they don't normally hike and camp

How do you know there is 0 bear activity there? And, another mile in to where exactly?

Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]