[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - Flags on the 48 2013: Team Hike-NH

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Flags on the 48 2013: Team Hike-NH 
Sovereign Woodsman

Flags on the 48 2013: Team Hike-NH
Last year a great group from here was organized and we manned the North Twin summit for . There is interest in doing this again this year, so here's your chance to be a part of the group!

----------------------------------------------
Critical info:
Date: Saturday, September 14, 2013
Flags will fly on the summit at a minimum from 12-2PM.

Peak: Mount Flume in Lincoln, NH
Route: Out-and-back on Osseo Trail/Lincoln Woods Trail. Side visit to Liberty after flag is set up will be available.
Total Route including out-and-back to Liberty (2.4 mi, +/-1100 ft added there) per White Mountain Guide Online:
Distance: 13.4 mi
Time: 8 hr 55 min
Elev Gain: +/- 4400ft
Meet Information: Meet at Lincoln Woods Trailhead by 7 to get pole split up and folks to boot up. Boots on trail at 7:30.
Post Hike: We are working on a tailgate party, either in Lincoln Woods parking lot, or nearby. All are welcome. See this post for more:

Current Attendees (updated 9-13-13):
GraniteGuy
madmattd
krpayer
thegibba
IQuest + Marlie (dog)
NH_Flyer + 1
Petch
Beckie and Prema (most likely meeting us at the summit or en-route)
Hiker0200

----------------------------------------------

Use this thread to discuss interest, route preference, etc (or you can PM me or GraniteGuy). I will periodically update this post as necessary.

My Trip Reports:

Last edited by madmattd on Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:03 am, edited 15 times in total.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:16 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I'm in and will provide the flag and PVC pole again this year. I cannot, however, be in charge of securing the peak as I will be in my car at that time. I don't really have a preference as to which peak we try to get, either.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:43 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I will be free at the time, but don't have a clue how to go about doing this. I'm interested in the hike however and will be happy do do whatever I can to help, although a little guidance may be necessary if it's anything special.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:54 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Just keep an eye on http://www.flagsonthe48.org/ - there is a link there to sign up when the time arrives.

Tim

Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:11 am
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

I too have the day on the "do not touch" list on the calendar at home. I really enjoyed the day last year and am looking forward to doing it again.

I'm hit or miss around that time (sign ups). Usually in a car, on a highway, and not moving. But if we need a person to grab a peak I can make do.

Do we even bother daydreaming on which peak we get? LOL

Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:29 am

Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:52 am
Sovereign Woodsman

My Trip Reports:

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:04 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:16 pm

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:43 pm

(Flags moderator rant here: ) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE sign up for just one peak. It truly is a major league pain in butt when one person signs up for five peaks jumping from peak to peak. In the span of 60 seconds when signups open, I usually count at least ten double sign-ups and the emails come flying from folks that want to be switched around. I dread signups for this reason. The first year we did this (2002) it took all summer to get 38 peaks covered. ALL summer! Now, because of word getting around, we fill 38 peaks in less than five minutes and usually all 48 within a few days.

Then throw in the folks that want us to switch to meet-up and charge people to participate. Throw in those that sign up for a super popular peak and then cancel less than 24 hours from the event. Throw in the complaints that we are doing this as a politcal statement. Throw in the folks that think we leave the flags up there and ruin their day when they see a flag at the summit.

But for all those idiots, we get about 500 folks that GET it, bust their tails up the peaks and participate and want no recognition. They GET that this is a memorial and honor it as such. It's for those folks, that I and the guys on the steering commitee keep it going.

(Rant done)

Wherever you guys end up, I'll wave to you from Jefferson.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:17 pm

I get the LNT thing but on well trodden trails does 1 group of 16 leave any less trace than two groups of 8 ten minutes apart?

I'd be all for Liberty or Flume too. Who can we bribe to get one?! :D

Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:08 pm

Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:19 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:30 pm

Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 199 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next