Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 The New Hampshire Trails Project posting thread 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

The New Hampshire Trails Project posting thread
COMPANION THREAD: HERE

Well folks, here is the beginning of it all! This thread will be the companion thread to the "closed" thread" where everyone can interact with the project. Thus, with the closed thread, we have a place uncluttered by extra posts, just one thread for info. Any new info can be posted here, and Jim will make the necessary edits to the closed thread (since he, as a moderator, is the only one who can work closed threads and why I needed him to post the info for me.). So, let us get to some particulars.

What is this?
The concept is simple, I am hoping we can try and collect as much information as possible on the hiking and walking trails available for use in New Hampshire. Is it going to be the authority on the matter? Realistically probably not. What we have now is basically everything I could find on the internet, but I know for a fact not everything is on the internet. There are places that have no electronic trace. So it will come down to us, the "locals" and users of this forum, to try and fill in any voids. Eventually it would be nice to be as thorough as possible. I believe we can come pretty close to cataloging everything, but it will only happen if you folks out there add your input into this.

Why is only one town listed for trails/areas that span multiple towns?
To make things simple and less cluttered I listed areas/trails in one town (I tried to pick the one where the trails were more concentrated or where most of the land in question was centered). So it may be best to know what towns are around the one you are looking at in case there may be a trail of interest just over the town line.

What Can I do?
Simple.....anything. Everything. Take your pick. If you use a trail from one of the links and find a problem, report it so we can make a note. Find a new trail? Let us know so we can add it. Know of an existing trail in your "backyard" that isn't listed? Tell us and we will add it. Have a GPS? If you can make a track log of the trail/s then we can make a map of it! If you can't make a topo map of your track log send it to me and I can! Basically I want you to interact and help keep this project current. We can't do it without you!

What kind of info is best?
Ideally we would love a trail map of some sort, no matter if made by you or someone else. Even better would be a map and trail description. Next best just trail description. But if all you have is "I know this trail/place exists" then we can still work with that. Better to have a vague idea it exists than not!

What can I expect from these trails?
As the disclaimer notes in the closed thread, we can't know the conditions of all the trails, parking for the trails, landowner issues and so on. If you visit one of these places and have a problem or issue let us know so we can make a note of it.

What does -INFO NEEDED- mean?
When any electronic trace on the net is not available then we will add -INFO NEEDED- after the trail name. This means we need help compiling info on that particular trail/area. If all you can provide is directions to aprking areas, or a simple description of trails, then let us know. Again, something is better than nothing. Your "bare description" could lead to someone with a GPS getting a track we can turn into a map. There is no such thing as "not enough info"!

That is about all I can think of for right now. If I forgot anything I will be sure to edit this post. But mostly I want to remind everyone this is not MY project, it is OUR project. My original intention was to give a place to pool info for everyone to use. And the only way this compilation is of any use is if people actually participate and make use of the info at hand.

So be safe, happy trails, and sound off! Let's hear what you have to say! :D

Brian

Last edited by New Hampshire on Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:28 pm

Also, what should we include?:

I did post some rail trails, but also noted there is a good book available on New Hampshire's rail trails. If folks want to add more rail trails then I am fine with that. But another question becomes snowmobile trails. Do we include snowmobile trails that can be used reasonably as hiking/walking trails? Some snomo trails are listed as multi use (snowmobiling, hiking, bicycling, horse riding, etc.) and those are obviously fair game (as on the Uncanoonuc map under Goffstown.) But what about the snomo trails that are not listed as multi use? Do we want to eventually include them? I would say right now that the word "reasonable" when I say "can be reasonably used for hiking" means that the trail has to be dry enough for safe walking. I have seen some snomo trails in summer that are virtual swamps. Those we can't honestly claim can be "multi use". But if they can be navigated by people on foot at any time of the year, should we include them? Let us discuss....

Brian

Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:02 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Hello I am an enthusiastic participant dedicated to minute & accurate descriptions of the scenery and objects of interest on the route containing full and correct information.

Re: South Hampton

I went to the Burrows Brookside Sanctuary(NHA) a couple weeks ago. The REI site is not helpful.

Here: http://nhbirds.wikispaces.com/Brookside+Sanctuary seems accurate. There is a yellow blazed trail and a much shorter spur blazed in red. Blazes are plastic rectangles nailed to trees that are very easy to see. Both trails had very large blowdowns but all seemed recent enough to be from Irene or the October storm. The treadway is not apparent in most places. It's close to private houses on the trails but across the street so you're not in yards or anything. I did not follow the road but it looked as described(rutted, muddy, flooded, and icy), and would probably get you away from residences pretty quick, and is heavily posted across from the NHA land. The road it is on was unsigned at the north end, access is at a sharp turn, there's room to park a car or two or three if you block the woods road(probably okay). I took a couple pictures but can't post them til at least thursday.

pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/1133335876 ... directlink

Last edited by Walrus on Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:55 am

Excellent Walrus! I was afraid when I saw the few trail locators on the REI site they would not be of a whole lot of use. When we do our next update we will replace that info with yours. Thank you!

Brian

Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:58 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Outstanding job Brian. Looks like it you pulled off your plan quite nicely. At a glance you can look-up some great local hiking. Great idea :)

I wish I had the ambition to something like that for down my way. Too lazy. :oops:

Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:14 am

Believe me Joe, it was actually fun. I discovered a bunch of places that now I would like to check out. The best "Atta boy" really goes to all the towns and people who spent time making these maps, compiling the info and making these links. All I had to do was spend a little time (OK, by little I mean over 8 hours spread over a little over week :lol: ) gathering the info and arranging it in an easily accessible manner. 8)

Brian

Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:22 am

Very good work Brian. I'm hunting for smaller hiking areas myself near where I live. Geocaching has led me to small really nice tucked away places that I never would have gone to.

Let's hope we can get some info from folks for spots that might have been missed or updated.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:56 am
Sovereign Woodsman

In Bedford, NH, we have:

Earl Legacy Park (Riddle Brook Elementary School), Wallace and New Boston Road. Groomed trails for XC skiing in the winter. Map is here: http://www.bedfordnh.org/pages/BedfordN ... legacy.pdf

Eugen Van Loan Preserve, North Amherst and Wallace. I couldn't find a map. It's like a 1-2 mile flat, wide, loop.

Pulpit Rock: http://www.nhmountainhiking.com/hike/pu ... _large.jpg (I could not find a better map, oddly), on New Boston Road near the tracking station (town line with New Boston)

Tim

Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:14 am
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

bikehikeskifish wrote:
Eugen Van Loan Preserve, North Amherst and Wallace.

Tim

http://www.bedfordlandtrust.org/VanLoan.html
image links were dead but link to the map .pdf works.

http://www.bedfordlandtrust.org/photos/VLFinal.pdf

Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:17 pm

Excellent! I might type out the fixes tomorrow for Jim to update, but one way or another by the end of the week the updates should get up. I may also head out and GPS one of the smaller -INFO NEEDED- places to get those moving forward too.

Brian

Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:09 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

This is great Brian.
I applaud you for this undertaking.
One of my goals this year is to find easier hikes for those like me with some physical limitations.
This will be a great venue to share this info.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:28 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Walrus wrote:

Hah. I saw the dead images and missed the pdf map :oops:
(Not that a map is really needed...)

Tim

Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:45 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Very nice Brian. I love how it's listed by town. There are way more local trails out there than I had ever imagined. :D

Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:05 am

IQuest wrote:
Very nice Brian. I love how it's listed by town. There are way more local trails out there than I had ever imagined. :D

I had puzzled over how best to present the information. One other idea was by region and then break the region down into town. But I thought that would just add more confusion, and how does one best define where one region begins and the next starts? So I figured KISS, "keep it simple stupid". I hope time proves this the best way to do it, but if any better idea comes along we can readjust everything.

I also agree that I was surprised at what was out there. Each new google search I ran presented me with yet another little piece of info, which somtimes led to yet more. And even more surprising was how close to me all these places were.

Brian

Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:25 am

OK, the updates are in! As usual, thanks to Jim for the work, and of course thanks to Chris for providing this website, without which this would not be possible! :D

Brian

Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next