Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Mt. Cardigan? 

Mt. Cardigan?
Does anyone have a trip report of Mt. Cardigan with pictures that they'd be willing to post on Hike-NH.com? We'll make you famous, we promise!

Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:00 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Mt. Cardigan
Hi, since there are no takers I'll write in, but no pics sorry!

I Hiked Cardigan with my wife and Brother on Aug 7th. It was a nice day, mostly clear, around 80 (I think) and not too humid. Trails were in good shape, headed up the Cathedral Forest trail to Clark from Grand Junction. This is a good trail if you are new to the hill and parked at the AMC lodge. Driving directions in the AMC Southern NH guide are a little off due to bridge work, but I checked and a new book should be out next year. Any way the hike was nice and easy and we took the Manning Trail over Firescrew on the way down. Comes to around 5-5.5 miles I think. Lot's of rock and always a good view from here. Had a small thunder shower near by around 5PM on the way down but stayed dry.

Also hiked Mt. Gilman/Orange on 8/27, which I had never done before, and this is a nice quiet hike and less travelled than the main hill. Take the Vistamount trail from Grand Junction and this is about 2.7 miles one way from the lodge. Was about 85 and humid but the hike is not too hard. Nice views when you pass the brook. Looks like a nice hike to head from the summit up to Rimrock and the Cardigan summit, but I have not tried this yet.

Great place to hike if you want nice views, a shorter drive and a shorter hike, Definitely pick this over Monadnock on a crowded weekend. Enjoy!

Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:04 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Thanks for the write up Joe! Cardigan has always been one of my favorites, since it was the first mountain I ever hiked in NH at age 12.

Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]