Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Cube 
Sovereign Woodsman

Cube
Inspired by Beckie's NETC report, I decided to head over to check out Cube and was not disappointed. In fact, I ended up there twice within four days -
first with a non-hiker-but-wanna-be friend and then with Cathie for some trail magic. Unfortunately for us (and the thru-hikers as we had most excellent treats)
we didn't time it right and missed the thru-hikers. Alas...Cathie had to eat all those cookies herself, and I have lots of chocolate and fruit at my house.

The trip: Easy enough drive up 89 and excellent directions and nomenclature from Steve Smith's info on the internet. Pretty area over there.
You leave NH and enter VT, but within a short time cross back into the 603 across this gem:

Couple quick turns, and Baker Rd comes up quickly on your right, then you're at the trailhead. Sort of.
The little parking area is a few hundred feet before the trailhead - but we figured it out.

The trail starts off gentle enough and there is evidence of some most excellent trail maintenance to fix recent wash-outs.
Along the way there are lots and lots of glacial erratics

Trail winds up along here for a nice outlook, with some very cool designs in the rocks

Pastoral. Tranquil. Quiet Sunday morning feel...

Peeking into the upside-down-NH area

Saw this little guy scampering along

Summit

Cathie and I hung out on the summit, chill-laxing, enjoying the breeze, solitude, views, scenery, blueberries...

LOVE the resilience

After a while, with only four or five other day hikers, we packed up. Not headed this way, as the thru hikers were

we headed back the way we came and made our way gingerly (rocks were cool, but slick in the morning dew) back to the car.
LOVED this little hike and it's a cool ride to an area I rarely visit. We'll be back, and next time we'll time it so we have only to pack up the treats. :wink:

Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:37 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Cube
You had a nice ride in. We got off at ex 25/26 on 93 and went that way. Looks like the two of you had a good day, too. What's nice is that you get plenty of time to hang out and enjoy the summit. We met three NOBOs there.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:20 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Speaking of AT-ers - I did Glencliff yesterday, and I've never seen so many of them in one day. Probably 20 NB-er's, and maybe as many as 12-15 SB-ers. Usually I see - mayble 3 south-bounders during the entire hiking season, but either something has shifted greatly, or it was a huge coincidence. And all this activity was within the 6-hour window of 9-3.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:48 am
Sovereign Woodsman

They all want an omelet!

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:30 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Beckie and Prema wrote:
They all want an omelet!

HA HA. Right. On my first trip the NOBO-ers were talking about the omelet guy. The SOBO-er was trying to convince
them it wasn't worth the 1.9 miles one way out of the way. It was an interesting exchange.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:11 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Kevin Rooney wrote:
Speaking of AT-ers - I did Glencliff yesterday, and I've never seen so many of them in one day. Probably 20 NB-er's, and maybe as many as 12-15 SB-ers. Usually I see - mayble 3 south-bounders during the entire hiking season, but either something has shifted greatly, or it was a huge coincidence. And all this activity was within the 6-hour window of 9-3.

That's weird Kevin - I hiked Garfield yesterday and saw only 2, one headed down to Rte 3 just as I started up and the other headed up just as I finished. Wonder how many have planned for the eclipse.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]