Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Rambling Along the Ocean Side of Acadia - 3/16/17 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Rambling Along the Ocean Side of Acadia - 3/16/17
More Acadia!! Just catching up on a few trip report. This one was actually a week and a half ago, a couple days before Joe went and right after the last big storm, but it was a great day up there to bad a few more summits for the "winter" list and a little bit of redlining too. The forecast for the Whites would have been 52w/no view, and we all know they don't count unless you get the view! So Peter and I got started about 6 and got to the Schooner Head parking area around 10:30 I think it was. Anyhow I hit the little section of the Schooner Head Path I needed while Peter got ready and then we started off up the unplowed road to Great Head. We looped around the perimeter on the trail, visiting the summit and highest oceanside cliffs in Acadia as well as the other great viewpoints along the way before going back to the split and then returning to Sand Beach. We probably looked more like scuba divers flopping across the sand in snowshoes and winter gear, but they worked well getting up the icy steps and off the beach. From there we took Ocean Path along the park road, passing Thunder Hole before exiting at the Gorham Mountain Trail.

Egg Island light from Schooner Head

The few hundred yards of the Schooner Head Path I needed was pleasant

Views from Great Head

Joe's not the only one who can take a selfie! :D

Bald Eagle soaring over us

Where's my suntan lotion?!

Thunder Hole in action

A few more views from Ocean Path

The trail up Gorham was 8-10 inches of fresh snow, tracked only by some bobcats chasing rabbits it appeared. The upper ledges were a mic of bare rock and snow, so near the view ledges we bare booted it the final stretch to the summit, which provided it's usual glorious views from the mountains to the sea. From there, back in snowshoes, we went down to the Beehive Trail which we took up the backside of the Beehive to the summit. We also wen't out to the top of the iron rung section for the view, and someone appeared to have come right up it in Yaktrax of all things. After that it was down to the Bowl and then on to Champlain.

Following the local kitty cat

Otter Point

Thunder Hole down below

Summit of Gorham Mountain

Otter Cove

Next up. The hive!

VFTT

Looking back at our days travels

Next up. Champlain!

Headed down to the Bowl

The mile and a half up Champlain was also unbroken, so I took pride in breaking it out, with Peter lagging just a bit behind. Views again quickly opened up back at where we'd spent the day and then finally after a short but steep section up a false summit the view ahead to the top, just as things started to really cloud up around sunset. I got to the summit and took my pics and had a snack while waiting for Peter to come cursing his way up the home stretch! :D Then we started down the North Ridge with views of the lights coming on in Bar Harbor before exiting on the Orange and Black Path down to the closed loop road. There was a good amount of snow on it but also someone had snowmobiled it cutting up the trees that came down in the winter storms, so it was as easy going as could be, although 2 miles of road walking when you're running on fumes really drags on! Finally we hit the ranger booth and bare booted the back to the car from there.

Climbing one of the summits of false hope

Another view of our route for the day. If you can see it we hiked it.

More false hope

But eventually you do get to the summit of the mountain formerly known as Newport

Sun setting on another great day in Acadia

All in all another excellent day in Acadia. About a 10 mile loop with 2000 feet of elevation and 3 winter summits along with some short red lines. Winters last stand in Acadia I hope and I don't know if I'll be back for a bit. Early spring is not my favorite time of year there. Lots of lingering ice, stick season and slick wet ledges all over. But it melts quick and I love it here, so give me a few weeks and I'll probably change my mind on that.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:22 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Re: Rambling Along the Ocean Side of Acadia - 3/16/17
Nice! and of course you got your eagle shot! Lucky You.

Terry

Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:55 pm

Actually saw two of them but one was being chased away by crows much higher up.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:13 am

I almost did basically the same hike the day I went. I drove to loop road to check stuff out and almost just stayed there.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]