Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 The Brook Walk @ Castle In The Clouds - 3/25/17 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

The Brook Walk @ Castle In The Clouds - 3/25/17
Saturday after lunch the weather was rain and snow around home but looked better up north so into the car and off we went. Got to the Castle In The Clouds parking area around 3:30, where my wife mentioned she'd never seen the actual castle so the planned out and back was altered to hike up Lee Mountain to the castle after the Brook Walk. The Brook walk was a beautiful stroll along a gorge similar to the Flume, only instead of walking in it you walk along the upper edge of it. Only a half mile long but filled with waterfalls and historical signs describing the history of each waterfall. Roaring, Twin, Whittier, Harriets, Bridal Veil and finally the Falls of Song were viewed along the way, each seemingly bigger and more impressive than the last. By the end of the trail we had descended about 300 feet where a nice boardwalk brings you face to face with the 50 foot Falls of Song.

If you're headed there up 109A this might give you the same chuckle it gave us

A lot of nice trails on this property

My 3.5 year old ready to rock!

Well signed and blazed trail

All the falls have nice little historical signs about them

Roaring Falls

Whittier Falls

Half frozen Bridal Veil Falls

Beautiful forest to walk through also

At 50 feet tall Falls of Song is the largest on the trail

Nice boardwalk to get up close

Still mostly frozen

But still nice also

Bottom photo instead of summit photo

From there it was back up the trail to where it neared the un-plowed auto road to the castle, so we hopped onto the road and followed it to the top near the Carriage House. With the sun setting I offered my littlest a ride to speed things up, which she was happy to take and soon we were at the upper parking area. We were greeted with a sign stating castle was closed (no kidding) but also no admittance. Since my kids can read and we were unsure if this meant no "trespassing" or just no "entry to the castle" we decided to not go up the final 50 feet or so to the building and risk being a bad example, which was a bummer, but we'll go back another time. From there a plowed road led back to the car so I had the pleasure of carrying 5 sets of snowshoes for the road walk, which we shortened by walking through a snow covered field.

Headed up the closed road

Near the top my wife took this. I think they'd just about had it! :D

Former carriage house was closed up

And the castle itself may or may not have been open to checking out :?

Bare booted it back down the plowed road

A lot more spring in their step when it's not in a foot of mushy snow

Nice finish to the afternoon

Signs of spring??

Should you ever need to carry 5 sets of snowshoes with no backpack this is the best way I found to do so :roll:

All in a good couple of hours out. Cloudy when we started but clear skies with a beautiful sunset as we finished. 1.8 miles with a 300 foot drop to start followed by a 500 foot climb back up the mountain and then down the other side to the parking area. The heavy spring snow was a lot harder work than the kids were used to when snowshoeing, so even for a smaller hike it was a good workout that pushed them a bit. I'm always sad to see winter go but if it's now mashed potato season I'll be happy to get a heatwave and finish off the spring snow. Once that happens this is definitely a hike I can see us doing again, as well as a lot of others in the Ossipees this year. A lot of solid day hikes that are right in the size range they can handle without being too much of a grind for them. Bring on spring!

Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:12 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: The Brook Walk @ Castle In The Clouds - 3/25/17
I love the hair on your snowman! Cute! Once again, thanks for posting your family hikes. We have not been able to do much this winter and something like this would be perfect for a not-to-long day away from various responsibilities. And thanks for the carrying tip!

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]