Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Trip Report Rapid Fire 
Sovereign Woodsman

Trip Report Rapid Fire
Wow, it feels like it's been a while :( . Anyway, I figured I'd add some life to Hike-NH by posting a few short catch-up TRs from the past few months. And yea, I know I'm extremely late on many of these, but I figure better now than never.

Porter/Cascade Mountains, NY- 13 November 2016

Hiked up these two with my buddy Riley- they were #72 & 73 on the Northeast 115 for me, and this was his first ever hike in NYS. Approached these two from NY 73. There was a dusting of snow throughout the higher elevations, and a LOT of ice on the spur to Porter Mountain, hence why we did Porter first. Fair amount of clouds seen from Porter, but the opposite was true on Cascade- absolutely beautiful views, and it was this hike that made Riley fall in love with the 'Dacks. He wants to go back, but we can never find time. Roundtrip distance: 6.2 miles with 2,550 ft. of elevation gain.

On top of Cascade, NE115 #73

Black Mountain, Kentucky- 4 December 2016

You might remember a peakbagging trip to the South I did with some friends of mine in December. I posted a TR from the VA high point, Mt. Rogers. Well, here's the other one, the KY high point, Black Mountain.

We took a steep, narrow, windy mountain road to the VA/KY border, and parked on the KY side of the border. To access this mountain, which is owned by a coal mining company, you need to print out and fill out waivers from the company, and bring them with you when you do the hike. If you're caught without them, you're technically trespassing- the company only allows access to hikers and high pointers who have the waivers.

Anyway, we walked up the 1.5 access road to the 4,145 ft. summit. The no trespassing signs, combined with broken glass and litter, an FAA radar dome with ominous no trespassing signs, and dark, cold, rainy, and foggy skies made this the sketchiest U.S. state high point I've been to (thus far). We eventually got to the top, which had some buildings, towers, an old fire tower frame, and a plaque. We took pictures near the plaque and on the top and hightailed it outta there. 11/50 done!

On the top of Kentucky, 4,145 ft. Black Mountain

Big Slide Mountain, NY- 16 January 2017

I made another spur of the moment trip to the 'Dacks, this time for Big Slide Mountain, #74 on the Northeast 115. Started at the Garden, and originally planned to do an out and back over the Brothers, but upon seeing how much ice there was, I made another spontaneous decision, this time to make a loop out of this hike and descend toward Johns Brook Lodge and hike out along the brook back to the Garden. Rugged hike, but absolutely beautiful views from the top. One of the best High Peak views, from what I've heard.

74 done, 41 to go!

Montmorency Falls/Old Quebec City, Qu├ębec- 27 January 2017

About a month ago, I did a weekend trip to the capital of Quebec province, Quebec City. I didn't do much hiking, but I did a lot of scenic walking, particularly in the north end of the city and in the Old City. Also went to an aquarium for the first time. Got to speak a lot of French there, too :D .

One thing I did do, which was the closest to a hike I got during that trip, was a walk around Montmorency Falls, a 276 ft. waterfall on the north end of the city. Not in the most wild setting, but the thing was absolutely massive. Biggest waterfall I've seen to date.

The Old City was really neat too, and IMO if you ever go to Quebec City, you shouldn't leave without at least driving through it. Most buildings there were built in the 1600s, 1700s, and 1800s, and many of them are in near flawless shape despite their advanced ages. Really felt like I stepped into Europe.

Montmorency Falls, Quebec City

One of many pics from Old Quebec City

One thing you might have noticed: no video recaps. I'm gonna be honest here- I haven't been too active on my YouTube channel lately. I'm just feeling a little burnt out from making these 10, 15, 20 minute recaps which, sadly, don't attract much attention no matter what I do to promote them. I have a job, am very close to graduating from my community college, and have a life besides that, so I can't devote myself to making videos that get such limited attention. IMHO, the attention the videos and my channel get isn't worth the effort to make them. I'll still post TRs to Hike-NH from time to time, only just with pics.

Anyway, I hope this TR catch up will spark some more life into Hike-NH. I'd really hate to see this forum become abandoned (Rocks On Top?)- when I joined here almost six years ago, this place was bustling, and there was a very large core group of posters that posted on a very regular basis. Then Facebook came around :evil: . I'll admit, I post pictures on Facebook, but sometimes the people on those hiking forums irritate the crap out of me with their "holier than thou" attitudes, which is why I like Hike-NH so much. Lax moderation, and we're all friendly and laid back. Plus, many of us know each other on a first name basis, which makes us more of a "tight-knit" community IMO. I know what happens will happen, but I'd hate to see the very first hiking forum I ever joined, back when I was 16 years old (I'm 22 now) become history :cry: .

Anyway... :lol: , how are you all doing?

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:09 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Trip Report Rapid Fire
TR's seem to be the lifeblood of his place. Without them it's toast.

Looks like a couple good hikes in there, in particular Big Slide via the Brothers. Those Brothers and NH's Sisters make for some good hiking. 74/115 huh? I better get my a** in gear before you catch me!

Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:23 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Good to see your report; I had wondered what you were up to. By the way, I thought this was toast, how many days were they doing maintenance? And where's Kathy? And Hiking Lady?

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:30 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Gave up and succumbed to fb.....

Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]