Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Just Missed Just Joe While Redlining In Acadia - 1/15/17 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Just Missed Just Joe While Redlining In Acadia - 1/15/17
Sunday Peter and I headed back up to Acadia for some more redlining this past Sunday, just missing Joe by a day apparently. Expecting winter conditions (since there was 8-10 inches on our last visit) we showed up with snowshoes, spikes, crampons, snow pants and insulated boots. :roll: Well, As Joe mentioned in his report, there sadly is no snow in Acadia after the last stretch of nice weather. Strange how much it can change in a month. But it actually made our day easier, and as usual in winter there were no people in the place, so it wasn't all bad.

Sun rising over Portland on the way up. The weathermen promised us a beautiful day!

W.T.F.??!! :x

Phew. All was clearing out when we finally arrived at Long Pond

Long Pond had some interesting ice formations and icy slurry waves

We started up Western Mountain, needing half of two trails and a whole one down the other side, so after heading up the Cold Brook Trail from where we parked at Long Pond we took the lower half of the Sluiceway to the upper half of the Great Notch trail and then continued over Nights Nubble to the summit of Bernard. Some ice in the usual spots (the short but steep ups and downs in Great and Little notches) but otherwise easy going. And rather than mess around with traction we just went around it in the frozen woods.

Snow free trails headed up to Great Notch

Older woodpecker blaze on the Sluiceway

Apparently nobody had logged in since October, but the story is always the same in Acadia

Some ice, but still no snow

Could have put spikes on, but it was easier to go around this

Trail up Knights Nubble was pretty icy too

Other than a few shorter stretches it was all just nice, green woods

Knights Nubble outlook

Not an official summit, but it gets a sign

Working around more ice leaving Little Notch

Couple of views from Bernard Mountain

From there it was down the Bernard Mountain trail to the West Ledge Trail, which runs up the west side of the mountain for a mile, traversing some nice sections of bare ledge with views out to the ocean and island off the coast, including Isle Au Haut. Not wide open like other parts of the island but for an otherwise densely wooded mountain this trail was decidedly the nicest route up/down IMO, and with the rest of the Bernard Mountain trail would make a great loop on the quiet side of the park, when the forest roads aren't gated for winter that is. Unfortunately they were gated, which gave us a solid 2.5 mile roadwalk back to the Cold Brook Trail and turned the little redling loop on this mountain into a nice 7 mile jaunt.

Bernard has some of the nicest woods on the island

New ink!!

Some nice stretches of open ledge, as you would expect from the name

Isle Au Haut...maybe this year

More ledgy goodness

2.5 miles of this. Could be worse

Part two for the day was supposed to the Valley Cove and Valley View Trails nearby, but starting out on the Valley Cove trail we came to a sign that stated the trail along the cove is closed for repair until further notice. :( It wasn't listed on the website as closed, but we decided to obey the sign and head for some other trails. After driving the short section of Ocean Drive they keep open in winter we parked at the Gorham Mountain parking lot and started out along the Ocean Path, passing Otter Cliffs and rounding the bend of Otter Point for a view of the setting sun, which we stopped for a good while to watch. It was a nice show, and once it was down below the point of land across the cove we continued on, finishing up Ocean Path and doing a walk along the closed road to the end of the cove, where we took the Quarry Path, which connects Blackwoods with the cove on one end and then goes strangely to a road in otter Creek up the street from the market. Not much to see, which was good since it was now dark out and we were going by lamp.

:(

Next stop...Ocean Path

Otter Cliff with a few icicles

View from the cliffs back at Ocean Drive

The road was closed but we stuck to the path anyhow

Rockefeller's plaque

Just in time to catch sunset

Quiet evening at Otter Cove

Quarry Path to Grover Avenue. Why, I can't exactly say

Since all the trails in Acadia aren't on any one map I have used three to find all the trails. The AMC one is nice, but is also missing a handful of trails, so I also have the Map Adventures one, which seems to have all the official trails and then some, occasionally listing herd paths as trails for some reason. The Nat Geo map is kind of big and clunky so I don't use it much, but between the three of them all trails are accounted for I believe. Our route back from Otter Creek turned out to be one of the "trails" on the Map Adventures one that isn't actually signed. We wandered the woods for a while in the dark before coming to someones yard back in town, so back we went to find the right way, which we thing was a herd path along the power lines back to the Quarry Path near the campground. I think it's just an easy way for people to get to the market on foot, but as far as we could tell isn't officially a trail, even though it's listed as such on one of the maps. Once back on the Quarry Path we headed back to Otter Cove for some star gazing/photography before finishing the 5 mile evening stroll on the Otter Cove trail, which is a much shorter route back to where we parked and then went on our way.

After taking the Quarry Path we headed for the market and unmarked trails apparently

Back at the cove for some stars

A little Milky Way action and that's a wrap on this trip

Overall some nice trails, and some, well, needed trails, for redlining purposes. 12 miles of hiking on the day was pretty modest, but managed to get about 4 miles of new trail out of it, which is more than I have left to finish up redlining the MDI section of the park. I'd like to wait for some snow before going back, as I've been trying to catch the place after a huge dumping from a nor'easter for a few years now, but it has yet to work together with my days off. If not, I'll still be back a time or two this winter. There's something really nice about having a National Park to yourself, which is easier than you'd think if you go in winter. I don't think I've ever seen more than two people on a winter outing there. So fingers crossed I'll get to break some pristine trails before this winter is done.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:16 pm

Re: Just Missed Just Joe While Redlining In Acadia - 1/15/17
How do you drive all that way to Acadia and not work in at least one 360* view? :roll: :wink: That West Ledge Tr. looks great, even better with no one else around. But I've no desire to drive to Acadia and do road walks. :? :roll: 8)

Looks like you found a decent spot for the sunset. I'm with you on the snow, but I so much enjoyed having the trails to myself that I'm going back in winter snow or not. :D

Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:51 pm

OK. So after tomorrow it will be a winter wonderland up there again. Can you guys go up and break-out some awesome trails for me for the weekend? :D 8) :wink:

Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:56 pm

JustJoe wrote:
OK. So after tomorrow it will be a winter wonderland up there again. Can you guys go up and break-out some awesome trails for me for the weekend? :D 8) :wink:

Yeah, if they get the forecasted snow they'll have gotten 40 inches in the last week. I am actually hoping to go up Thursday but the weather needs to shape up for that to happen. This weekend I'll probably be in Dak's, but if the weather is bad there plan B is Acadia, so maybe I'll be breaking trail there with you. If not please break out the South Ridge, Valley Peak and Valley Cove trails for my trip next Thursday. Thanks in advance! :D

Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:10 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Just got back from a weekend trip. Lots of snow on the ground and it was looking like the ski trails (carriage roads) were getting some great attention from the local groups. We snowshoe'd in the Jordan Pond area. It was pretty awesome. Try to get up there soon if you can.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]