Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 2016/2017 winter hikes: Noone Peak, Red Hill, Plymouth Mtn 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

2016/2017 winter hikes: Noone Peak, Red Hill, Plymouth Mtn
Having not done much hiking at all since finishing the NE67 on Camel's Hump, I've somehow gotten into this mode of just doing really short winter hikes with Garry. They're so short that it's not even worth writing separate trip reports, so I'll just put them all into one. Actually, we also hiked Mts Morgan and Percival on January 9, but that one was so cold, my camera didn't want to cooperate and it was too cold to take pictures with my phone...so I'll only detail the hikes where I took photos.

12/26/16 Noone Peak
We set out the day after Christmas on the Sandwich Mtn trail with the thought of going up to at least Noone Peak, then maybe on to Jennings and maybe on to Sandwich Dome. We ended up just going to Noone Peak, then further up to the junction with the Drake's Brook trail, and headed down that way. Kind of glad we didn't go further because, while heading up to Noone Peak was pretty easy and broken out (though we had snowshoes on anyway), the Drake's Brook trail was only partly broken out. I was surprised at how tiring it was to do 3 miles and have to partially break out a trail, even if it was downhill...Garry hadn't been feeling well leading up to this hike so I took the lead. I probably would have been exhausted if we had gone to Sandwich Dome and down this way so I was happy for the shorter hike....still around 5-6 miles.

There's a really steep and fun section on the Sandwich Mtn trail....kind of hard to tell how steep it is from this pic but trust me, it's steep!

Just about at the top of the steep section:

The best views aren't from Noone Peak itself, but from the ledge on the way to it:

On the way down, it's a winter wonderland on the Drake's Brook trail:

Entire album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskSG6zoJ

1/2/17 Red Hill
We started out the New Year on January 2 with one of our shortest hikes ever, Red Hill, in the lakes region. It was a bluebird day but really cold. The nice thing was that the trail was packed out and like a sidewalk, although the first picture doesn't really make it look that way. The whole hike is only around 3 miles round trip.

From the fire tower you get some pretty nice views; we didn't stay up there long due to the cold.

Entire album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskQdAzXv

1/14/17 Plymouth Mtn and Pikes Peak

This is a 5-mile round-trip hike that I had done with Garry a couple of years ago as part of a Meetup group that he led, it was the first time I had hiked with him. Today there would be no trail-breaking needed as we had done 2 years ago, but it was a lot colder, as it has been for all of our hikes this winter. There are no views from the summit of Plymouth Mtn, so just a couple of pics from Pikes Peak, which is on the way, a half-mile from the summit of Plymouth Mtn.

Unfortunately, once again my camera didn't want to cooperate, I guess since I'm not keeping it warm enough, and the cold is draining the battery....so these are just a couple of low-quality pics using my iPhone. The nice thing about this ledge though is that you have a great view of Cannon, the Franconia Ridge peaks, and then Washington on the right in the second pic, way in the background. Boy I wish I had kept my camera warm to use that 20X zoom.... :roll:

Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:43 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: 2016/2017 winter hikes: Noone Peak, Red Hill, Plymouth M
BobC wrote:

1/14/17 Plymouth Mtn and Pikes Peak

That's not Mt Tom. :? I would have done this one of I'd gotten an invite. :(

Seriously, all 3 are fun hikes. Well, the first 2, haven't done Plymouth yet. :| 8)

I do need to get out on a snowy hike though. :)

Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:02 pm

BobC wrote:
They're so short that it's not even worth writing separate trip reports, so I'll just put them all into one.

They all look like great little hikes. I'm always looking for some shorter stuff for the family so thanks for taking the time to post these. I really wish they still made the little kids microspikes so we could tackle a couple of these. Even 4-5 miles is still too much for my younger two to flop up in snowshoes I think. But soon hopefully.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:35 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Omg, we went to do plymouth mtn on sunday, but the trail was too lumpy and bumpy to deal with, so we said f#*& it and went over to whitten woods in ashland. Gladt to see u r getting out Bob. Looks good!

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:24 pm

Sounds like Bob post holed the *poop* out it the day before you! :lol:

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]