Hike-NH.com
http://forum.hike-nh.com/

A Quick Hike up Kearsarge on New Years Eve
http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9501
Page 1 of 1

Author:  JustJoe [ Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:25 pm ]
Post subject:  A Quick Hike up Kearsarge on New Years Eve

Need something reasonably quick for New years Eve Day. And since I'm trying to redo the
52WAV ion winter Kearsarge fit the bill. The plan was to go in on the Winslow State Park side.
Do the road walk to the trails. Then a counter-clockwise loop on the Winslow and Barlow trails.
Forecast..........COLD!!! Love it! 8)

Heading out.
Image

Empty parking lot.
Image

Heading right.
Image

Wore the snowshoes but really didn't need to.
Image

I hate when they tell you your only half way. :evil:
Image

Close to first little view.
Image

First view.
Image

Summit in sight.
Image

Not a sole. :D
Image

Some summit shots.
Image

Image

Image

Rime Ice Fun!
Image

Image

Image

Heading down.
Image

Image

Image

All Done!
Image

This ended up being much quicker than I wanted. Finished at 11:30. Home by 2

Click Pik 4 Pix
Image

Author:  Granite Guy [ Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A Quick Hike up Kearsarge on New Years Eve

This is one I have been eyeing to do with the family this winter when we have a full day to try something this size. About how far from the gated road to the trailhead would you guess?

JustJoe wrote:
since I'm trying to redo the 52WAV ion winter


That's pretty ambitious. Magalloway, Percy and maybe Royce seem like they will be epic winter hikes. Good luck with the quest. Or, just turn the wheel to the left and head for the Adirondacks instead!! :twisted:

Author:  JustJoe [ Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:23 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A Quick Hike up Kearsarge on New Years Eve

Granite Guy wrote:
This is one I have been eyeing to do with the family this winter when we have a full day to try something this size. About how far from the gated road to the trailhead would you guess?

JustJoe wrote:
since I'm trying to redo the 52WAV ion winter


That's pretty ambitious. Magalloway, Percy and maybe Royce seem like they will be epic winter hikes. Good luck with the quest. Or, just turn the wheel to the left and head for the Adirondacks instead!! :twisted:


I came up with only a mile, one-way, for the road walk. Yup, the 3 you mentioned will be tough but not impossible. I doubt I'd head to the Adirondacks in winter. :)

Author:  New Hampshire [ Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A Quick Hike up Kearsarge on New Years Eve

Actually, with Magalloway, if they are doing active logging the road tends to be in great shape up to the spur road to get to the trailhead. Just a matter of hoping they are logging! :D

And Percy, if you do it the way I did this past spring, which is a bit longer and obviously less used, the first 1/3 is snowmobile trail. Heck, I would possibly even re-do this with you! But Sugarloaf? Yeah, THAT will be a long day (unless you have a snowmobile :wink: )

Author:  Granite Guy [ Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A Quick Hike up Kearsarge on New Years Eve

New Hampshire wrote:
Actually, with Magalloway, if they are doing active logging the road tends to be in great shape up to the spur road to get to the trailhead. Just a matter of hoping they are logging! :D


So it's not like an episode of Ice Road Truckers?! :D Those logging trucks don't care one bit if you're on their roads. They'll run you right into a snowbank, so bring a shovel!

Author:  JustJoe [ Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A Quick Hike up Kearsarge on New Years Eve

New Hampshire wrote:
But Sugarloaf? Yeah, THAT will be a long day (unless you have a snowmobile :wink: )


Yeah, forgot about that one. I wish I'd stuck with my original plan of the other Sugarloaf's though. Since I'd plenty of time to spare.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/