Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Tom, Field, Penn, Teller and Me 
Sovereign Woodsman

Tom, Field, Penn, Teller and Me
OR "Wrapping Up 2016 With Winter Ascent of Willey - NOT"

OR "WTF Without the W"

OR - oh sh*t. You get the picture.

Had the day - the last of 2016 - to hike so headed for the hills to meet up with what I thought would be Brian (New Hampshire herein for the uninitiated)
and Peter (The Gibba herein for those same folk) but as it turned out it was Brian (New Hampshire....) and Greg (HardCoreIdiot herein for - oh hell, forget it).
Guess Peter had some vehicular vexations. Not sure why I'm into the alliterations tonight. I'm tired.
It was discussed that perhaps Peter was secretly off hiking in Maine with Derek (OK. If you don't know who that is you need to read back on some trs).
IDK....gentlemen??

Anyhoo. Tossed around a few ideas at the 11th hour as the forecast dashed our hopes for Jefferson.

I needed both Tom and Willey for my winter list and B-Ryan good-naturedly agreed to go along. So we met at the trailhead at 8.
Well, it was closer to 8:10 as I had to stop on the way up a couple of times to wash my windshield - my little squirt-nozzles were frozen. On my car.
Hit the trailhead by 8:30 after donning heavier-than-usual packs and snowshoes.
No kittens died as a result of our trekking. The guy in the Carhartts and construction boots off-ed about 743.

So, I waited around for these two clowns to get their electronics synchronized and set, and get their snowshoes on. It's only fair - they waited for me to arrive.
(In my defense, as I don't care for tardiness, I hike solo 95% of the time
and underestimated the time it took to get to Crawford Notch as I am rarely meeting anybody.)

Penn - or Teller. You pick.

And if the previous was Penn, this would be Teller. Of course, if the previous was Teller, this can't be since the act is not Teller and Teller. DUH!

Greg taking the lead, making tracks past the Avalon trail on our way to Tom

Made it to the spur in good time, without falling in or off. Watched Greg feed the jays,
grabbed a quick snack and a few sips of hot coffee and headed for Tom.

These two.....made a hike that was at times boatloads of work a lot more enjoyable.

Had some unbroken trail to the true summit - since Mr. Carhartt and his 2 companions stopped just shy.

All good though. Greg and I got to watch B-Ryan teeter and totter and go down. Kind of a snow-shoe slapstick.
Glad you were ok pal b/c I was too busy cracking up to ask.

VFTT

Heading back through our own tracks

On the way to Field

I led the way a bit but needed to breathe, and hydrate, so again Greg took the baton

Made good time to Field, VFTT there

Looking back toward Tom

Trail over to Willey not broken out since latest snowfall so we decided to head down from Field. Greg didn't need it,
B-Ryan just wanted to sled and I could feel the blisters forming from the snowshoes.
So down we went to Avalon. Those two had been deprived of views on previous visits. Me thinks these made up for it.

Parting shot - bye bye B-Ryan.

https://youtu.be/kGiJexnvRQo

Thanks, guys, for a fun day and another check on my winter list.

Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:00 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Tom, Field, Penn, Teller and Me
Hey, thanks!!!! Both for the photos and the nice track you made.

We are going to Logan tomorrow for 5 AM (son going back to FL). That means if we plan well we could get up to this place around 8. We are looking for something pretty and not super difficult. So this may be one of the choices.

Or maybe the Firewarden to Hale.

Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:26 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Beckie and Prema wrote:
maybe the Firewarden to Hale.

You're welcome. :) I hear Hale via the Firewardens is also broken out.

Have fun.

Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:47 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Double thanks!

Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:54 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Beckie and Prema wrote:
Double thanks!

We can't take the credit for breaking out what we hiked. We did help pack it down and consolidate it a bit. Plenty of barebooters after us though so probably a bit choppy. Hale, OTOH, I have read only that a large group of snowshoers were the last ones there.

Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:04 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Kathy wrote:
It was discussed that perhaps Peter was secretly off hiking in Maine with Derek (OK. If you don't know who that is you need to read back on some trs).
IDK....gentlemen??

No such thing! I wouldn't pull him away from the fun. If I had the Day off I'd have joined in myself. No such luck however. Looks like a good day out in a winter wonderland and I'd much rather have been there than working, even if it was just to redo of some ho-hum NH4K's. :wink:

Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:43 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Unfortunately one of my tires got punctured on the sidewall so there was no chance for repair. At least it happened a few minutes from home and not on the side of 302. I really wanted to come but as they say. It is what it is.

Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:12 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Brian fell a$$ first on a stump someone cut while viewscaping the clearing on Tom. That hurt. :oops:

Brian managed to unintentionally punch a rock with his knuckle while sledding. That hurt. :oops:

But Brian got to finally see what the view from Avalon looks like. That is cool! :D

Brian enjoyed some good company for the day (yes, Greg was good company too :roll: :lol: ). That is cool.

Overall it was an enjoyable day, made all the more enjoyable by the fact that we did not have to break out the trail post-storm. It does look like the MWO blew the higher summits doom-and-gloom forecast a bit, but hey, what do I care, I have Jefferson in winter already. :twisted: And for all her dire warnings about a snail's pace Kathy held her own just fine. 8)

Brian aka Penn, aka Frick, aka The Moose. :mrgreen:

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:39 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Penn and Teller? :roll: Frick & Frack, Dill & Doe, Dip & Sh*t, is more like it. :lol: :wink:

Had I known what the plan B was in time, I'd at least have done Tom. Had time constraints New Years Eve. :D

Great pics.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]