Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Camden Hills, ME- 12/21/2016 
Sovereign Woodsman

Camden Hills, ME- 12/21/2016
I originally wanted to go to Acadia, and even set my alarm early for it, but due to being beat from work, when I got up at 3:30 AM, I tried to get out of bed and said, "Nope, not happening." Slept for another five hours, then wondered what to do now. I remembered Derek's trip reports on the Camden Hills in Maine, and decided to go there. Out the door and on the road shortly before 9 am.

After a nice, leisurely drive on I-95, I-295, and US 1, I arrived at the trailhead parking area around 12:15 PM. Geared up, locked up, and started shortly after. The plan was to get my feet wet with a loop of sorts over 800 ft. Mount Battie, and the highpoint of the Camden Hills (and Camden Hills State Park), 1,385 ft. Mount Megunticook.

I walked up the auto road up Mt. Battie for about a quarter-mile, then crossed the hikers' parking lot and headed up the Nature Trail, turning left at a fork to head toward Mt. Battie. The Nature Trail paralleled the auto road somewhat, then intersected the Tableland Trail. I would take this toward Megunticook, but turned left first to summit Battie. The trail dipped down a little, crossed the road, and then made a gentle and icy-at-times climb to the 800 ft. summit and its observation tower (complete with lit star). The views from here and the summit area were superb- even more so with the clear sky. I could even see Cadillac Mountain and Mount Desert Island (the original plan) from Mt. Battie. Hung around here for a bit, then backtracked down the Tableland Trail to the junction, then headed for Mt. Megunticook.

After the junction, the Tableland Trail made a gentle, then abrupt climb to the Ridge Trail, passing some neat rock outcroppings and some surprisingly bare ground in the process. Near the Ridge Trail junction, I passed by several excellent outlooks, including one named the Ocean Lookout, with even better views than from Mt. Battie. I snapped some pics, then headed 0.4 mi along the Ridge Trail to the summit of Mt. Megunticook, which to my surprise was wooded and viewless :| . Sadly, not much to see here, so I headed back to the Ocean Lookout for a photo-op and some snacks, then went about a mile down the Megunticook Trail back to the Nature Trail, then walked the auto road back to my car.

The hike came to be 5.3 miles roundtrip with about 1,500 ft. of elevation gain. Not quite like Acadia, but it's like a mini-version of it, and it's a good place to go when you don't have time to drive to Acadia, or don't have the motivation or energy to do it. I was pleasantly surprised with how much bigger the mountains felt due to being right next to the ocean. The views were excellent as well (though not from Megunticook's summit :( ). Someday I'd like to take some family here to drive up Mt. Battie and walk around a bit. Might come back and go deeper into the park on my own accord.

Here's the video recap: https://youtu.be/3gjDigrcuwo

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:08 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Camden Hills, ME- 12/21/2016
I've wound up here myself after oversleeping for a planned Acadia trip. Nice to see someone else made it to these nice little mountains. Definitely have some Acadia-like qualities. No huge expanses of open alpine zone ridges but lots of nice cliffs and spruce forests. The Scenic Trail might be the most Acadia-like with several open stretches http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8342, Maidens Cliff and Bald Rock Mountain are the other highlights of the park. Ragged and Bald Mountains are nice too. Not in the park itself but still in the Camden Hills.

You stop at LL Bean on the way by for new boots? Hiking in workboots can't be much fun.

Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:37 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Nope, skipped L.L. Bean this time. Once I have a couple hundred to burn, I'll head up there :lol:

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:46 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Camden Hills State Park signature area is the grand vista high on Mt. Battie where sweeping views of Camden, Penobscot Bay, and encompassing islands await. On a clear day, guests can see Cadillac Mountain at Acadia National Park.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]