Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 3 Little Hikes On The Maine Coast 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

3 Little Hikes On The Maine Coast
Not a whole lot to post on lately, and my kids broke the mouse so I couldn't even post what I did have. So this is a bit late, but better late than never. Not like anyone is going to rush out to these places right away anyhow. Or ever.

Last week I had to head up to LL Bean and decided to mix in some smaller hikes along the way. Stopped by Agamenticus in York for one last trip up the backside of the Mountain. The clouds were starting to clear so the Vultures View Trail provided some decent views. From the 692' summit views were even better, looking out over the ocean, north to the Belknaps and up the Maine Coast where I'd be headed next. The summit has some new landmark bearings on its platform but otherwise not much new since my last visit, so down I went on the Fisher/Ring/Wintergreen Trails and a short road walk back to the car. 2.0 miles with 500 feet of elevation, and this was the biggest hike of the day! :D

Took Vultures View Trail up, which after a night of heavy rain was flowing well

I'll call this one Stairs Falls

The Vultures View

Summit View

Boone Island light riding out the storm

View up the coast towards my next stop

Part of the new deck on the summit

Waypoint bearings

The storm was still working its way up the coast, so I went to LL Bean to kill time and let things clear up a bit before heading to Bradbury Mountain State Park nearby. Started on the South Ridge Trail, which sounded like it would have a viewpoint, but the ledges are mostly overgrown and just look out over a farm and at some distant hills. Not real exciting so onward to the summit I went. This time the ledgy summit towered 469' feet above sea level, with the sea visible in the distance as well as a few of the islands in Casco Bay and the flatlands of the southern Maine coast in between. On the horizon my next objective was calling, so I again wasted little time and took the Bluff Trail to the northern viewpoint and from there I could see, well, more flatlands, so I bushwhacked down 100 feet or so to the Terrace Trail that passes below the bluff and took that back to the car. Not terribly exciting, but if you're there anyhow or looking for a smallish hike with a little view this works, and it was another 1.5 miles and 250 feet of elevation for the day.

Headed up the south ridge of Bradbury Mountain

This passes for an overlook. Looking over what I'm not quite sure

Then it was up to the summit where you get glimpses of ocean and islands

Headed down the Bluff Trail

Another overlook looking over nothing

Ye Ol' Cattle Pound on the return to the car

Another 45 minutes up the coast to Phippsburg brought me to Morse Mountain. This might actually be the shortest land mass with the designation of "mountain" I have ever hiked. Only 177' feet high, it's ledgy viewpoint near the summit is usually just a stop along the way as you hike out to Seawall Beach, rumored to be one of Maine's nicest and quietest beaches. All of this is owned by Bates College but they allow the public to use it and I've been trying to get out to the beach for a couple years but never made it. Still didn't make it this time either, as it clouded up rather than clear up (the weatherman strikes again! :evil: ) and the sunset didn't look to be too promising, so after hiking the mile from the parking lot to the summit on the gated trail/access road (there are private cottages around the summit area you can rent for a large fee) I stopped to watch from there and enjoy the view. The sun kind of fizzled out behind the clouds on the horizon but surprisingly Mt. Washington was visible 80 miles away. I realized around dusk I didn't have my headlamp with me, so I beat feet as fast as I could and made it back to the car with the aid of my phone light. :? Views out over the river and to the Atlantic were the main attraction, and I hope to get back to this one sometime and make it out to the beach. To Seawall Beach and back would be a 4 mile round trip. Morse Mountain itself was only 2 miles with 200 feet of climbing.

Up next

The "trail" crossing a marsh

Down at sea level and ready to make the 175 foot climb to the summit!

Up up and away!!!

VFTT

Private and secluded Seawall Beach you can continue out to if you like

Sun setting somewhere, but not here :(

Mt. Washington I belive

The Eyrie cottage sits on top. Rent it for $250-$400 a night depending on the time of year

So that was my day. 1338 feet of mountains on the southern/mid Maine coast. It took a whopping 950 feet of climbing to get all three over 5.5 miles. All pretty easy hikes that almost anyone can do. Agamenticus is always one of my local favorites. Bradbury, well, it was there, and Morse is definitely one I'd like to go back to another time and see more of.

Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:07 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: 3 Little Hikes On The Maine Coast
So pretty. I see why you continue to return.

Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:16 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: 3 Little Hikes On The Maine Coast
Thanks for yet another good place I can eventually take my entourage to! Look on the bright side; I did see some orange in that skyline and the dark clouds were very dramatic.

Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]