Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 A Double Finish on a Single Hump. Camel's Hump 11/19/16 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

A Double Finish on a Single Hump. Camel's Hump 11/19/16
Headlines: BobC and I finished the NE67 on Camel's Hump last Saturday.

Just a quick back-story. I did Old Speck in May of 2012 saying crap, I just started
another list. Then That was the end of that. The rest of 2012 and most of 2013 was
spent working on finishing the NH200. After finishing that, and 52WAV I said,
"No more lists". Fast forward to March of 2015, on a whim, I drove up to Rangeley, ME
and did Saddleback and The Horn. The main reason I broke down was simple, I needed
ideas for hikes. And as we all know, when in doubt, do a list. :D So let it be written,
so let it be done. 8)

After doing Saddleback and The Horn I asked Bob if he wanted to get it done too because I
was going for it. So after doing Saddleback and the Horn, he only had 3 more than me. I figured
I could catch up so we could work on the rest and finish together. Of course I thought I'd
be writing this last November but as most know, a broken ankle set me back a year. But
with the aid of some great weather last summer and fall, it came down to Camel's Hump in VT.
Now I would have bet the farm that once it was time to grab this last peak, we'd be cursed
with bad weekend after bad weekend. Months worth was my guess. But the weather gods
smiled upon us last Saturday. I did the entire hike in short sleeves and shorts under
bluebird skies.

Bob and I were joined by Brian (New Hampshire). We waited until we all were in the same
car to pick the route. A traverse would be out since we took 1 vehicle. We looked for a loop
but the best we could come up with was a lollipop. :)

This was the route: Monroe Tr., Dean Tr. Long Tr. to Montclair Glen Lodge. Long Tr. to the
summit. Then the Long Tr.From the summit, continued on the Long Tr. to Hut Clearing. Then
back on the Monroe Tr. to the parking lot. I think all toll, it was about 7.5 miles.

Heading out.

Gorgeous woods down low.

Taking a left.

More great woods.

Should be a pond here but totally dry. Heading to those ledges evintually.

Going to check out Montclair Lodge.

Said lodge.

I smell views.

East from lower ledges.

Mt Hunger.

A profile along the way.

Climbing, with Ethan Allen watching. 8)

The Hump in sight.

It's getting good. Wouldn't want to do this section when it's icy.

Where's Waldo? (Brian)

Getting close.

Real close.

:beer: A couple of Long Trails Double Bags to celebrate with. Fitting. :D

Few shots from the summit.

WTF!?

Even though the temps were great, it was windy as hell, and a little crowded. So we heading
down a ways to have lunch. This works.

All good things must end so off we went on our descent.

As one might expect, the shaded north side had some ice.

Wish I brought my skates. Hut Clearing.

3.1 miles to victory! :D

Nice.

And Done!!! NE67 in the books!

One might ask why do a great peak like this in stick season. Bob and I were contemplating waiting
until winter but there was no way we could pass on this day. Just to nice of a day to pass on.

Thanks to Bob for making this short, but awesome journey more enjoyable. And thanks to Brain.
At least one of our, "friends", joined us for the finish. 8)

Click Pik 4 Pix

Last edited by JustJoe on Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:45 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Re: A Double Finish on a Single Hump. Camel's Hump 11/19/16
My god, my gut is getting huge. I wish that wasn't the big takeway from this hike. :roll: :lol:

My quest for the NE 67 didn't really start as a separate quest for a list. A few years back, I did Old Speck with Brian and some other guys, before I had even finished the NH 48. Then I did Saddleback and the Horn with "Scoutmaster" Gary (not the Garry I've been hiking with recently). In 2010 I did the two Katahdin peaks, and somewhere along the way I also hiked Mt Abraham in Maine for my friend Amy's NE 67 finish. But it was kind of a distant thought, this idea that I'd ever actually finish. It's not that the hikes are really any harder than the NH 48 - and in fact, all of Maine plus VT only ended up being 12 separate hikes. But it was just the idea of all those long drives. So I guess I needed a kick in the butt, and Joe provided that when he brought up the idea of finishing this list. I think it was maybe 2 years ago that we attempted to do Sugarloaf and Spaulding, and had to abort due to high winds. Fast forward to this year when we both decided to kick it into high gear and see if we could finish this year. So, just in 2016 I ended up doing 7 more peaks in Maine, including a trip with a group of friends to Baxter State Park where I finally bagged North Brother. Then there was just VT left, which Joe and I finished up over our last 4 hikes together...and he we are, all done with another list. I don't know that I ever would have finished without someone to motivate me. Thanks Joe, and thanks Brian, who helped me finish a lot of the NH 48 as well as the final NE 67 peak!

:beer:

Not much sense in posting "views" pics since Joe's got that covered, so here's a few "action shots" with Brian and Joe in the photos.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:48 pm

JustJoe wrote:
And thanks to Brain.
At least one of our, "friends", joined us for the finish. 8)

BobC wrote:
Thanks Joe, and thanks Brian, who helped me finish a lot of the NH 48 as well as the final NE 67 peak!

Ahhhh, it's always good to be considered the reliable friend. :lol: Seriously though, wouldn't have missed it for the world! Any day with at least some incarnation of Hardcore JoBoBriTy is always a good one, and the weather and destination were simply icing on the cake. I know we don't get out as much together as a group as we used to, which is why when we DO get out it is all the more fun! So congrats guys, you earned it! :beer:

Brian

P.S. Here is my album from the trip for anyone interested.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59745376@N07/albums/72157675226973882

Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:41 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

congrats to Joe & Bob, welcome to the NE 67 club! and Bob I'm not only a member of the big gut club, I'm the president..... no pictures though :D

Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:15 pm

Sticks or no sticks it would be nearly impossible to pass up a views day like that! Congrats to you both on the finish and I'll join Keith in welcoming you to the 67 club! :beer: Not just Long Trails, but Double Bags! Seems like possibly the most appropriate celebratory sipper you could possible have chosen. Friends definitely make hiking the long distance lists a whole lot easier and more fun and provide that motivating factor Bob speaks of. With the right company the drive times don't feel nearly as long and are actually fairly enjoyable on their own most of the time. Together the hikes and the mini road trips make for a great experience, rather than just meeting for a day hike and going separate ways after, at least IMO.

New camera for Bob?? His pics look more vivid than usual.

JustJoe wrote:
The main reason I broke down was simple, I needed
ideas for hikes. And as we all know, when in doubt, do a list. :D So let it be written,
so let it be done. 8)

So is this cool panorama of you two headed literally and figuratively for the next collection of peaks/list a hint as to what lays in store?! :wink:

Because if you need a new list now, the one that gets you to these peaks involves just a little more driving each way than the Maine peaks, but as a trade off there's no Maine turnpike involved. Said list is very highly recommended, although if you finished it before I do I'll kind of be pissed off about it! :evil: :D

Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:29 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

JustJoe wrote:
And as we all know, when in doubt, do a list.

I understand. Completely. My newest list is the 67. I just have to find someone to make the drive with me. Katahdin scares me though. Good thing I have about 4 others to keep me occupied.

JustJoe wrote:
WTF!?

HA HA HA HA HA HA. WTF -- INDEED! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congratulations to you both. SO cool to read this. You guys are the ones who helped me out so so much when I first joined this forum and I have missed reading of your adventures.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:43 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Congrats from a fellow member of the 67 club! Looks like a hell of a finish :D !

I haven't done nearly as much of the 115 as GG has (73/115), but I'll offer what insight I have:

-The two Catskill peaks, Slide and Hunter, are long but easy drives. All highway driving on the MassPike and the NY Thruway until the last 20 miles or so. Goes by quickly, and there are plenty of service plazas to keep you awake, full, and gassed up. Roy Rogers in New Baltimore hit the spot while driving to Hunter :D ! Only downside is that there are a lot of tolls. Not quite as bad as Maine, though, at least for me, since I pick up the MassPike in Worcester :lol: .

-Unless you live in western Mass, the drive to the Adirondacks is a pain in the ass. Not gonna lie. Over 100 miles of backroad driving for most peaks if you're coming via I-89. That's probably the main reason why my 1st and 2nd High Peaks (Marcy and Giant) were hiked 5 years, 3 months apart :roll: . That said, the Adirondacks are absolutely beautiful, both from the road and from the trail. I took a buddy of mine on a daytrip to Cascade and Porter last weekend (I will get that video and TR up eventually), and we were both stunned- especially him. So much that he wants to do more High Peaks with me, and he hasn't even finished the 48 :lol: !

-In general, the ADK 4Ks are more remote than the NH 4Ks and are longer hikes- average is around 15 miles roundtrip. Combined with the long drive times, that means that many of them are out of daytrip range for most people. Lots of fun camping/lodging options though.

-Also... Montreal isn't terribly far from the Dacks, so if you want to really celebrate... :wink: .

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:06 pm

Granite Guy wrote:
Not just Long Trails, but Double Bags! Seems like possibly the most appropriate celebratory sipper you could possible have chosen.

Yup, the perfect choice. Didn't realize until just now I didn't add the Double Bag to the description. Corrected. :beer:

Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 am

Granite Guy wrote:
New camera for Bob?? His pics look more vivid than usual.

New camera, yes - Nikon Coolpix S7000. I had an Olympus that was the same as what Joe used to use, it had a 20X optical zoom but was just annoying me with it's bulkiness. So for a while I was using my iPhone, but I wanted to get back to something with better zooming capability. The S7000 also has 20X optical zoom but is much smaller. The only thing you have to give up is that there's no optical viewfinder, you have to look at the screen to see the photo you're taking. Half the time I just wing it and shoot in the general direction of what I want to see, because the sun makes it hard to see the screen.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:11 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Cool pics from everyone involved. It's interesting to see the hike through each individual's eyes. What a sweet "double bag". Stick season or not, this peak is pretty damned cool. North enough to see both the whites and ADKS. past and perhaps future. Anyways, congratulations on the finish. I'm soooo close to Filling my NH 48 for for the pomp and circumstance. I may as well. See you at the party!

Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:02 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Wow, congrats fellas! I'm a little bit in the opposite boat, having decided to work toward this about 2 years ago but frustrated with my slow pace and only very rare chances to get to VT/ME. Although early this year I hit a I think this exact same route and had a great time as well.

Anyway, I know I've been a ghost here and don't have much to add, but here to you guys!

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]