Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Pumpelly Cave aka Megalithia 11/12/16 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Pumpelly Cave aka Megalithia 11/12/16
I had no plan to hike last Saturday do to a lazy spell. :roll: I'd blown off Veterans Day which was
beautiful and I had off. Got up Saturday and forced myself to come up with something. First idea
something in the Belknaps. Which I found out later my good friend Bob did but neglected to invite
me. :? 8) And I did give him a heads up just before I headed out. :P :wink: Plan 2 was Pillsbury State Park
Lovewell Mtn. But I remembered about Pumpelly Cave. It was something I wanted to check out after
reading 2 other reports here. This was the time to do it since I kind of knew where it was and what the
terrain might be like. This time of year is great for bushwhacking because all the undergrowth is dead
you can see where your stepping. Since I seem to be able to find everything there is to trip on
while bushwhacking. I threw my gear together and was off for Monadnock State Park by 8. Yes, on
a pretty nice Saturday. :shock:

My route for this hike was this............................................................................... 8)

I got to the park at 10:15 and was on trail by 10:30. Timing is everything they say. And my timing was
perfect. The lots were packed. I have to say there were close to 3 dozen getting ready to head out.
Which included a boy scout troop. But I was ready and flew up the most popular trail without having to
pass a soul before I got to my turn. While I was doing my thing, I encountered 4 people. :beer:

Heading out.

On trail.

The prize!

I thought the place was pretty amazing. Given the fact that it was constructed in 1902 by
a couple of teens. I'm sure it's had some repairs over the years but it's survived pretty well
just the same. Had lunch at the cave, then finished the day checking out some views. I did
not summit Monadnock.

And as it turned out, my timing on my descent was perfect as well. I had to pass one small group and
encountered about 6 smalls groups ascending. Much better than I could have hoped. :D

Lastly, a quick stop here on Main Street in Jaffrey.

Other than it being quite windy and damned chilly in the open, a pretty great day! :)

Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:05 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Re: Pumpelly Cave aka Megalithia 11/12/16
Welcome to the Megalithia club! I will show you the secret handshake later! :lol:

Jim and I also thought it was a pretty cool find. Alas, it was not as hard to find as we thought it would be, and i assume you had an even easier time than we did. :wink:

El-Duder

Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:30 pm

So. Did you use insider information from Brian or did you piece it together by yourself? I can never decide if I think this thing is an overblown waste of time, or an oddity that's worth checking out someday. :? Time will tell I guess.

Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:45 pm

Granite Guy wrote:
So. Did you use insider information from Brian or did you piece it together by yourself?
I can never decide if I think this thing is an overblown waste of time, or an oddity that's worth checking out someday. :?
Time will tell I guess.

I figured out by different means, it's location. No inside info. I personally felt it was well worth the effort.

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:11 pm

Yes, this was all Joe. He basically took my statement "it is visible from Google Earth" and rolled with it. Took him a couple tries, asking me if his guess was right each time, but he got it. His Google Earth-fu is strong. :lol:

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:15 pm

New Hampshire wrote:
Yes, this was all Joe. He basically took my statement "it is visible from Google Earth" and rolled with it. Took him a couple tries, asking me if his guess was right each time, but he got it. His Google Earth-fu is strong. :lol:

That helped me pin-point it but there are so many pictures of on the web that a map and straight edge are all you need to get in the area. By lining up it with land marks. :wink:

Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:26 am

Sorry Joe! I thought you were doing something with Becky because, well, that's what you said. :P 8) Anyway you probably had the better day, and I do wish I checked with you on what your plans were because as you know, I wimped out and did a very short hike in the Belknaps, that wind was just nasty. :roll:

Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:48 am

BobC wrote:
Sorry Joe! I thought you were doing something with Becky because, well, that's what you said. :P 8)

I like my version, makes a better story. 8)

Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:53 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

JustJoe wrote:
BobC wrote:
Sorry Joe! I thought you were doing something with Becky because, well, that's what you said. :P 8)

I like my version, makes a better story. 8)

:lol:
That looks like pretty steep Joe. But a cool find. I never find the motivation to head over to that area since I used to climb Monadnock
every year on my birthday...haven't been hiking over there since oh, about 1990 or so. This, however, looks like a cool place to check out.
I'd seen reports in the past but never sparked an interest. I'm not much for bushwhacks so perhaps that's why.

Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:07 am

Kathy wrote:
I'd seen reports in the past but never sparked an interest. I'm not much for bushwhacks so perhaps that's why.

No bushwhacking needed if you know where the herd path is. This is when people in the know can be your best friend. :lol:

Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]