Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 More Redlining In Acadia - 11/5/16 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

More Redlining In Acadia - 11/5/16
Another trip report for Hike-Acadia if anyone's interested. Yesterday I was free all day, and while leaning towards yet another trip to Acadia to work on wrapping up the red lines I was considering the Whites also. But when 4 AM rolled around the weather up north looked like some rain and snow, while Downeast looked much nicer. Hiking in the stick season slop vs the late nice late autumn of Acadia was an easy choice for me, especially with an extra hour of sleep, so that's where I went. Bonus that even in full blown stick season Acadia is so thickly covered in spruce forests it never really looks like stick season.

Cant imagine why the native Wabanaki were referred to as the People of the Dawnland??

The latest sunrise of 2016 came up at 7:16

Acadia and MDI seen from Belfast at sunrise

Northeast Creek and Cadillac Mountain

Deer hanging around the park loop road

Search and Find. How many??

Starting out on the Hunters Brook trail I hiked an easy couple warm up miles along the tumbling brook that is lined with a lush green forest. Beautiful scenery and woods with an old growth feel for more than a mile before the climb up the backside of the Triad with the water providing some relaxing ambient music. Definitely a quieter and lightly used trail for Acadia. A quick .1 mile detour to the summit of the Triad with it's views of Seal Harbor and the next objectives for the day, Penobscot and Sargent Mountains, and then it was down to Jordan Pond for some wandering.

Away we go!

Natures own relaxation soundtrack

This pretty much sums up the foliage situation there

Stick season however is not all that sticky in much of Acadia

More music to my ears

Lightly used route up the Triad

Crossing a carriage road at just the right time to see these ladies out for a walk

The more heavily used standard route

Atop the Triad

Seal Harbor and islands from the summit

The awesome south ridge of Penobscot was my next destination

Penobscot and Sargent with Jordan Cliff

Again, the lack of actual sticks in stick season makes for nicer walking IMO

There's a lot of short trails in the Jordan Pond area that just wander along brooks or to bridges or connect to other trails to form loops. The Jordan Stream Path is one of them, and it winds along down another babbling brook valley, or stream I guess, eventually leaving the park boundary at the Cobblestone Bridge. The oldest of Rockefeller's carriage road bridges, it is the only one I have seen made of cobblestones and was completed in 1917. It was really quite interesting, and while wandering the carriage roads is not my favorite thing to do, I'd love to eventually see all the bridges. Preferably by bike than by foot, but they are always a cool landmark when I run across them. I think I'm up to 11 of the 16 while just hiking and driving around, so I'm sure I'll get to the rest eventually.

Must have been a bit chilly the night before

The Bubbles always get a picture or two...or three..or...

Just checking to make sure I picked the right destination

Yep. I did. 8)

Jordan Stream Path is another streamside stroll that's probably nicer with more water

But the very cool Cobblestone Bridge is located at the park boundary

From there I took one of Rockefellers private carriage roads a short ways before doing a short bushwhack to get back to the trails and start up the Penobscot Mountain Trail from it's southern end. The first mile is a mixture of forest and ledge, with a few viewpoints as it climbs up to the cliffs on the ridge where things open up with views to the east. I came across a deer in the woods just off trail who was trapped between me and the cliff tops, who wasn't sure how to escape. He jumped one way and then the other before dashing across the trail out of sight. After that the ridge became completely opening for a glorious mile long ridge walk to the top. Almost at the top I stepped closer to the edge for a picture and almost stepped right on a porcupine. It was small and brown so I never saw it until he turned and lifted his backside to me like a skunk about to spray. I stopped in my tracks two feet from a painful encounter and let him wander off into a nearby crack in the rocks. I was hoping to finish this safari of a trail with an eagle sighting but after a snack at the summit and no luck headed down the Deer Brook Trail.

Passing the park boundary on the bushwhack

Back to the trails and up this little piece of heaven

Crossing a carriage road along the way

Viewpoint looking south over Mitchell Hill

Lower Penobscot Mountain Trail

View out over Long Pond and the Rockefeller estate

Trapped!! :shock:

Tried to get away to the right, then doubled back and went left when he got to the cliffs

Things are getting good now

You could do worse than a mile of this

The trail was a little erratic :roll:

I could hike this all day every day

Look back down the ridge

Look out!! :o Almost stepped on him/her. Then of course it wouldn't stay still for a picture :roll:

Nice views of the pond and Bubbles among other things

Jordan House

Martha's house

Alpine zone at 1000 feet

Almost on top

The summit blending in with Sargent

North Bubble, Eagle Lake and the Black Mountains across the bay

South Bubble

Sea and sky

East face of Sargent calling for me

Another quick check to confirm I made the correct decision

It's official. I did.

The Deer Brook trail took me down to the Sargent East Cliffs Trail, which took me steeply up among the cliffs but never climbing up anything more than a short scramble. A couple views along the way as you crossed the top of various ledges but otherwise nothing too exciting. Halfway up you get into the open alpine zone with views north and east, and eventually at the second highest summit in the park a 360 degree panorama unfolds. The colors of Acadia surround you here, from the blues of the sky and ocean to the greens of the pine forests and the pink, tan and grey rocks that make up the park. Really one of the nicest summits in the park I think, and a view that never gets old no matter how many times I visit.

Down the Deer Brook trail, but no deer this time

Old school blazing

Sargent East Cliffs Trail was needed for the red line

Going UP!!

Try not to slip on the wet leaves

A couple viewpoints along the way

Yet again things open up into the alpine zone

Jordan Pond and Penobscot Mountain

?? :|

Eagle Lake

Second highest summit in the park

With daylight beginning to fade and clouds moving in from the west I didn't stay long, and took the Hadlock Brook Trail down, passing 3 carriage road bridges along the way. Once down at Hadlock Pond I had ten miles of amazing hiking behind me for the day, and 7 miles of not quite as amazing carriage roads, obscure trail bits and road walking to get me back to my car. Along the way I used a few of the private carriage roads, which are only open to the public in daylight house, so I hustled a bit more than normal, following a few of the trails that also go onto the Rockefeller estate to the boundary of the park before making my way back to Jordan Pond. The Seaside Trail leaves from there, which seemed to be nothing more than a connecting path for the parks employee living quarters to the Rockefeller's private carriage roads. I got off them just at dusk and had a two mile road walk back to my car before calling it a day.

Headed down the Sargent South Ridge Trail

People on Penobscot

Hadlock Brook flowing nicely

The brook passes under Waterfall Bridge

Hadlock Falls is the highest in the park

Smaller Hadlock Brook Bridge near the bottom of the trail

A couple miles of this

Followed a few trails to the park boundaries

Saw more wildlife than people yesterday

Hitting the private carriage roads. Many of which had no teeth

This "trail" isn't on all the maps. Appears abandoned.

Park Boundary on the Seaside Trail

Penobscot Narrows Bridge on the ride home

The route for the day

All told it was 17 miles with 3500+ feet of elevation, but all the elevation came in the first ten miles. The last seven miles were strictly for redlining and returning to the car, mostly flat and the faster pace I used on them gave me a pretty good blister on my right heel. Note to self, don't forget to change socks every 8-10 miles. :( While interesting to see a bit of the private estate I didn't have time to explore the trails fully that are also open to the public, but when the official park trails are done they're next on the list. I have hiked a few in the past and they are much less manicured than the official park trails, and much quieter, even on busy holiday weekends they have no crowds. For now I'll keep grabbing the missing pieces of the puzzle on my quest to red line the MDI section of Acadia, and eventually the trails on the Schoodic Peninsula and Isle Au Haut. One of the trails I need is currently closed for reconstruction so that may not happen any time soon. Fortunately, the way things connect in Acadia, you can mix together a bunch of old favorites, looping this way and that, grabbing the missing links as you go, and and never get in the same hike twice. If you hadn't noticed I just can't get enough of this place! :D

Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:48 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: More Redlining In Acadia - 11/5/16
Granite Guy wrote:
If you hadn't noticed I just can't get enough of this place!

That's fo 'sho. How many miles are on your car?! :lol:

Sargent Mountain looks especially nice from the pics you posted. Like a White Mountain-style alpine zone, albeit 4,000 feet lower. There are legitimate walks here my grandmother could do. Should an opportunity for a big family trip come along, I know where to go :D

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:44 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: More Redlining In Acadia - 11/5/16
hiker0200 wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:
If you hadn't noticed I just can't get enough of this place!

That's fo 'sho. How many miles are on your car?! :lol:

Sargent Mountain looks especially nice from the pics you posted. Like a White Mountain-style alpine zone, albeit 4,000 feet lower. There are legitimate walks here my grandmother could do. Should an opportunity for a big family trip come along, I know where to go :D

I have absolutely no idea how many miles on the car. Could be 135,00. Could be 185,000. It's been around. It's seen some things. I bought it to drive it, it's paid for and I plan to run it into the ground. :twisted:

Sargent is nice, but it's alpine zone isn't much different than that of Cadillac, Pemetic and Penobscot, all of which have superior summit views IMO. Maybe its a little grassier, but they all have about a mile or more of bare rock on their south ridges. There's a lot Grandma could do, including the loop around Cadillac's summit I think, which is a paved 1/3 mile long sidewalk. Ocean Path for however long she can go is a crushed stone path. Plenty to see just from the car as well. Something for everyone in Acadia! :D

Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]