Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Great Brook Trail Deerfield, NH 10/23/16 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Great Brook Trail Deerfield, NH 10/23/16
We had quite the rainy weekend, but Sunday made up for it. J and I decided to stick close to home. On our trip back from Whiteface/Piper about a month ago we took the backroads home and passed the kiosk for Great Brook Trail in Deerfield.

This is an out and back that sits between two roads. There is parking at either side on Harvey Rd or on Coffeetown Rd. The parking spot is just past where Coffeetown intersects with Bean Hill Rd. The trail itself is about 3 miles one way marked in pink/purple with signs that point the way to special features.

You can read over the description here. Info for you.

This 750 acre of private property is protected through conservation easement. We’ll have to make our way back another time to check out the black gum swamp listed in the description.

I had no idea what to expect with this walk, as often conservation land can be hit or miss.

What a beautiful woods. The variety here was astounding. Vernal pools, beaver ponds, brooks, overhangs, cliffs, stonewalls and views.

We started off through some classic Pawtuckaway style landscape. Big boulders resting next to meandering trails through tiny gullies, and past some big beaver ponds. We found old barbwire tangled in the trunks of trees.

Bridges took you over some of the brook, but there were also a couple small rock hops.

This guy needed a seat.

We poked up and around this area a bit, but there was a complete lack of blazing after a couple cairns, and we wanted to do the whole trail first. The leaf litter made it difficult to pick up paths. So we’ll have to come back at some point. There’s supposed to be a view of Pawtuckway up there somewhere.

Crain to where?

The gorge ford with a place to sit and think.

This old stonewall is like a doorway. And I’ve decided a fall woods is my cathedral, turned upside down, the stained glass littered at your feet and hanging in the air.

The halfway bridge next to another gorge.

A view of Saddleback from the second much larger beaver pond.

We didn’t have much luck with any of the vernal pools. Either we missed them, despite the signs, or they’re dry right now.

Floors of gold.

A bit of firepit and other woodworks.

Mailbox with a log and pen inside.

The other entrance Harvey Rd.

I would highly recommend this trail to anyone who just wants to get out into the woods, has kids, and probably will be a great spot to snowshoe as well.

Couple other pics here

What else have we been up to?
Trip to Ossipee
Speckle
And some weird assbjckwards way up to Whiteface that was along an abandoned?? trail.

Last edited by Pirr on Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:16 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Re: Great Brook Trail Deerfield, NH 10/23/16
Looks nice!

I'd like to hike up Saddleback in Deerfield at some point, we moved to a new apartment in Newmarket in April, and I always see it from my deck and wonder what the hike would be like.

Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:50 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Interesting place for a log book. Is it right next to what looks like a camping spot? A pink blaze? That's actually a good color for a blaze. It's a lot better than forest green.

Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:16 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Never heard of this one but it looks nice. I guess if I owned 750 acres I'd probable put
In a trail system too. Nice of them to let everyone enjoy their lands. I'll have to try and find the view of Pawtuckaway sometime when I'm roaming closer to home.

Bob, there's a couple different ways to do Saddleback. I think from the Northwoods Meadow side is the most interesting. You can connect from that state park making a pretty good hike out of it or there's a shortcut off a road in between them. Then theres always the old walk up the road version too. Stick season is upon us, and it's is a good time to do this one. More views. It would look something like this :wink: ... http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8444

Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:22 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

BobC wrote:
Looks nice!

I'd like to hike up Saddleback in Deerfield at some point, we moved to a new apartment in Newmarket in April, and I always see it from my deck and wonder what the hike would be like.

It's a decent spot and close to Newmarket. Welcome to the neighborhood, btw. One way to access is through Northwood Meadow. I've not yet done the second part of the Saddle where the tower is, bushwhack needed to get to tower. There is suppose to be a ledge view along that trail somewhere on the way to the tower. http://forumhome.org/close-up-view-of-saddleback-mountain-p1454-105.htm

Quote:
Interesting place for a log book. Is it right next to what looks like a camping spot? A pink blaze? That's actually a good color for a blaze. It's a lot better than forest green.

It was very close the camping spot which is near the trail. Unclear if the camping spot is a town thing or private landowner put it there.

Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:25 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Granite Guy wrote:
Never heard of this one but it looks nice. I guess if I owned 750 acres I'd probable put
In a trail system too. Nice of them to let everyone enjoy their lands. I'll have to try and find the view of Pawtuckaway sometime when I'm roaming closer to home.

Bob, there's a couple different ways to do Saddleback. I think from the Northwoods Meadow side is the most interesting. You can connect from that state park making a pretty good hike out of it or there's a shortcut off a road in between them. Then theres always the old walk up the road version too. Stick season is upon us, and it's is a good time to do this one. More views. It would look something like this :wink: ... http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8444

It's a group of about 9 owners with 7 parcels.. or 7 owners with 9 parcels. Whichever. The Aurthur Chase Lot also sounds promising.
http://www.townofdeerfieldnh.com/Pages/DeerfieldNH_BComm/Conservation/trailmapspb.pdf

Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:28 am
Sovereign Woodsman

God bless these people, whoever they are!

Thanks for posting this! I think my granddaughters would like this, and it's not a long ride from Lawrence.

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]